Canine Rights

Barry Switzer Doubles Reward to Find Tortured Dog’s Killer

Former head coach of the Oklahoma Sooners and Dallas Cowboys and College Football Hall of Fame-r, Barry Switzer was so touched by the story of Jetta, the black lab that was tied and dragged behind a car before being shot and killed this weekend, that he’s offered to double the original reward offer, bringing the payout to anyone coming forward with information leading to an arrest to $10,000!

Two of Jetta's nine 4-week old puppies are certainly missing their mother.

After learning of the horrific torture and murder of the new mother of 9 puppies, Switzer tweeted, “Lab dog was dragged to death in Rogers County. $4500 has been offered for the capture of those responsible. I will match reward. Sorry SOB.”

He then reached out the dog owner, Melony Patton, telling the heartbroken Rogers County resident,”We are heartbroken for your loss of Jetta. This will help find those responsible for such a senseless, horrific crime.”

Jetta’s young puppies will carry on their mother’s sweet nature and loving character. And, with hope, someone will come forward with information about this case. For information about Jetta’s death, read our story here.

1. Ron Watson

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:25 am

People who hurt, or torture animals, children, or people are soulless and devoid of a conscience. They will have a special place reserved for them in hell. It’s impossible to comprehend the inhumanity on this planet from Chinese who eat dogs and cats (boiling them alive to remove their fur), to abuse of farm animals. These soulless beings deserve to suffer the pain they inflicted on other living souls to give them a taste of there own cruelty.

2. Denise

May 27, 2013 at 11:50 am

I would imagine the owner of the dog knows what happened, perhaps the same punishment should apply to the owner.

• A

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:48 am

Why would you imagine that? That is ridiculous.

3. Marcia Moore

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:02 am

This type of crime against helpless animals has got to stop. It takes a sick person to do such a think to a sweet animal. I would love to tie whoever did this up and drag them around. We need to toughen the laws against animal cruelty. Thank you Barry.

4. Andrew Minty

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:41 am

I hope they catch whoever did this. Frankly, I hope that they catch whoever did this, and after they are released from jail, and done all the courts require of them and are flat broke from attorney fees and fired from their job, that they get their jacket caught on a passing car and dragged to their death. Now that would encroach on some sort of real justice for the animals. Nearly all serial killers start out joy killing animals, I hope this sick fuck gets nipped in the bud before he causes any more pain and suffering to man, or mans best friend. If it had been my dog, the guy would have ended up being a gimp locked in a sea chest and be fed only raw, rotting fish waste for the rest of his, or my years.

5. Sabine J.

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:19 am

Are there any updates on this?

6. TED BLACKWELL

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:07 am

Some people do not deserve to live. Who ever did this is one of those. Of further concern, if they would so torture an animal, they may escalate to human victims. I hope they are caught soon, convicted, and the judge maxes them out out their sentence.

7. Connie Godwin

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:25 am

How aweful and horrific a death this dog had to experiment! And at the hands of a sorry ass sob! Stories like this just break my heart and I have a hard time getting past it and try not to let it consume me. I hope they are found and in my opinion, they need to experiment the same death this dog had to. All the while I bet she was worried bout what was going to happen to her puppies. My heart goes to the puppies and the owners. God help look after our “best friends”, they deserve a chance like us humans do.

8. DONALD S. SCOTT

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:09 am

I AGREE WITH YOU NICOLE!

9. Sammie

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:01 am

Somebody knows who did this.. it’s just a matter of time.

10. Dean

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:54 am

I feel so sad about this .I want to say thank you Barry.They need to find these people and make an example out of them and hurt them in any way they can . This animal cruelty and dog fighting stuff is awful they are so loyal and yet so helpless little things with such a short life span as it is and they dont deserve this. who ever is responsible for this needs to be beaten within an inch of their lives and left to die ,sorry but thats how I feel