Brave Pitbull Takes a Bullet for Robbery Victim

iStock_000016179737XSmall

Long Island resident, Justin Becker, 32, was just relaxing at home with his pitbull, Kilo, last Saturday when an armed gunman posing as a FedEx delivery man forced his way into their apartment.

Becker shoved the fake delivery man to the floor and tried to shut the apartment door when Kilo tried to help. Kilo, a 12-year old pitbull, put his face through the door trying to protect his owner. That’s when the gunman shot him in the head.

As reported in the New York Post, “My dog stuck his head out the door, and then [the thug] shot him in the head,” Becker said. After the shot was fired, the robber took off running. Becker immediately picked up his beloved pup and rushed him to the hospital where x-rays showed the bullet entered his head, but didn’t penetrate his skull.

The bullet amazingly ricocheted off Kilo’s skull and exited through his neck — sparing the dog from certain death.

“This is like, one in a million,” said Dr. Greg Panarello, whose veterinary clinic operated on Kilo. “He’s very lucky.”

The gunman remains free, but Kilo is back at home, recovering and resting from the ordeal.

It’s stories like this one that remind us how heroic our dogs can be. Without fear, they will do anything to protect us and only expect our love and care in return. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Kilo!

Please click LIKE, TWEET this story, and add your comments below.

36 Responses to Brave Pitbull Takes a Bullet for Robbery Victim
  1. merlin dillinger
    March 5, 2013 | 5:05 am

That is a very loyal dog I hope he heals up quick I just got a 10week old rottbull and I hope she the same way to us thanks for the story

2. AngieB1261
    June 8, 2012 | 8:19 pm

that’s a brave little dog get well soon sweetie.

3. Ladee Diane
    May 23, 2012 | 2:45 pm

I love hearing the touching -heart warming Pit bull stories. They are the most amazing , gentle, loyal breed of any dog there is. I rescued my Bluenose Staffie 2 years ago and he has been the most amazing companion I have ever had. Actually if u dont already have one…..go rescue a pitbull. Stop believing the media horror stories. Only people like Michael Vick make pitbulls look bad and after what that POS did those dogs were greatful and were adopted into great homes making great pets. LOVE YOUR PITBULLS!

4. julie
    May 22, 2012 | 6:12 pm

This is a storey people need to see.. Insted if all those bad pittbull storys… im so glad the dog made it….

• julie
      May 22, 2012 | 6:18 pm

i myself have 3 pittbulls,,they r my world and so loving,, i am so sick of all the bad rep on the breed. Let this story be seen by everyone, so they know the truth about this breed.

5. DIANE MCCLINTOCK
    May 22, 2012 | 1:57 pm

they are the most loyal and loving dogs i have ever had. I miss my dog. I wish i had a place to get another one.

6. MeryeBerh Albert
    May 16, 2012 | 3:25 am

God bless Kilo! The angels were certainly shielding him that day. <3

7. Mark Cohan
    May 15, 2012 | 1:07 am

good boy Kilo! glad you weren’t killed! you are too important to die! keep on living happily Kilo and thanks for saving your master! Nice to see a good story printed about pits for a change! press always finding bad ones only to print when there are so many good stories never published I am sure!

8. Sherry Quann Lincoln
    May 14, 2012 | 8:10 pm

This story does not surprise me at all! I have a pitbull and though she is one of the sweetest, loving dogs I have ever owned, she is also unwilling to allow a stranger to enter our yard with out us! Whenever a stranger approaches, her demeanor immediately changes! I have no doubt that she would protect any one of my family, especially my young grandsons, who she dearly loves!

9. john foley
    May 13, 2012 | 8:50 am

I used to stay away from any pitbull I would see. I guess I beleived all of the stories of them being unstable. My son is autistic and we were at petsmart, I turned around and scott was on the floor with a blue pitbull and it was licking him and he loved the dog. Scott does not usually play with dogs. I hope your dog recovers soon sounds like you have a great animal.

10. John
    May 12, 2012 | 9:53 am

thats an amazing story God bless that dog and his owner for sharing. many ppl always want to demonize pit bulls but many stories are coming out as to there loyalty and how friendly they really are I pray he fully recovers and lives out his life healthy and happy…. he’s a keeper God bless….John

11. mary lukowski
    May 11, 2012 | 11:48 am

Just shows you what a great dog the Pitbull is. Very protective and loyal to their own. I know stories about other doggies and cats that saved their owners. The pitbull is a favorite of mine and the more good things I hear the more I want to celebrate the wonderful breed..Pitbull.

12. MaryAnne
    May 10, 2012 | 10:30 pm

GO KILO!!!!….. I am the proud owner of not 1 but 2 Pit Bull’s. Rambo, is a red nosed pit and stormy is a beautiful red a and white Pit! Both of which are rescue dogs and are more than pets….They are a part of my family! I have 2 Grand babies that run, play and even take naps with these animals. They are a very smart breed. Never have had a bit of trouble with them “turning” on us OR our other animals, WHAT I DO KNOW IS THEY WOULD GIVE THEIR LIFE 4 ME BECAUSE I LOVE THEM! Thats all they want is 2 be loved, They are loyal a devoted 2 the end!….Get well soon KILO!

13. Laura Lambert
    May 9, 2012 | 6:42 pm

Great storey. So glad that Kilo survived, but any Pit Bull owner can tell you they do have heads like rock. I know, having been clobbered by mine when he was just really happy to see me!!

• Suzi Merritt
      May 12, 2012 | 6:00 pm

Not only their heads, but my male’s tail is like a bullwhip. Get Well Soon Kilo. You are what pitbulls are all about. I’m glad your owner had you to save his life.

14. Laura Robran
    May 1, 2012 | 9:52 pm

People can say what they want to, but i had a pit/ poodle mix when my children were growing up. When my youngest came home from the hospital, he was asleep. I put her in the basket with him, and when he woke up, i guess he thought he had given birth to her. From that day forward, he was the proudest daddy you ever saw. She would get in the floor when he was eating and he would move over and let her eat with him. LOL, yes she would eat the kibble and bits with him. She is now 31 years old, so i guess the dog food didn’t hurt her. We had poor old Sarge for lots of years. He lived a nice long life of tea parties and dress up with my girls. I never worried about my girls as long as Sarge was around, He took good care of them and was very protective of them. Those were some of the loveliest years of our lives. My oldest was killed when she was 15 by a drunk driver and it is nice to think that they are together in heaven having tea parties and playing dress up together……

• mary lukowski
      May 11, 2012 | 11:52 am

I read your story. I am sorry about your daughter. To die so young. A tragedy hopefully can be avoided one day. THe other tragedies are the mimconception of Pitbulls. They are a loving and loyal doggie as you know. Yes there are sharing tea together and both are smiling. Take care. Mary

• Mark Cohan
      May 15, 2012 | 1:09 am

so sad for your daughter’s loss! good ole Sarge is playing fetch now w her somewhere upstairs!

15. Debbie
    May 1, 2012 | 9:48 pm

I always love to hear what these loving and courageous animals will do for their masters. I like or rather love cats, but they just don’t compare with dogs. Even though I have had cats that went above and beyond the call of cat duty for me. But hands down my canine friends have always given me 1000 percent above and beyond the call of duty. And I’d love to hear of the news the perp who shot Kilo has been apprehended and prosecuted with some serious jailtime.

16. tj
    May 1, 2012 | 1:42 am

Funny, it’s a Pit Bull but it didn’t make the news like all the other “pit bull” stories do. I’ve heard numerous accounts of this breed doing wonderful things yet only the terrible are go mainstream. I love the bully breed n pray that the banning ends soon. Bless our dogs that love us n I hope this ones recovery is swift!!!

17. Dawn Ambridge
    April 26, 2012 | 10:18 pm

awesome dog Kilo,our pets are family and loved so much.So happy he made a recovery!! I have a pit myself and he dearly loves my grandchildren and so good with them. Love the pit bulls, they are like any other dog its the way you treat them that counts.

18. mary boyer
    April 22, 2012 | 2:31 pm

I know just how smart a pitbull can be as I have one and they are very intellegent animals, If you treat them well they will in return take care of you they can be loving with children and other animals,I think the myth about them is all wrong and god bless you and your hero.

19. karen sanderson
    April 22, 2012 | 11:39 am

Kilo like most pits, is another angel in disguise.we have had pits for the last 6 years.we will never be without one.our family would be incomplete with out our pits. they protect us as well as each other.Kilo is another example of the true nature of a breed that has been unfairly maligned.im praying for a speedy recovery for him

20. cindy
    April 20, 2012 | 10:42 am

Prayers, prayers and more prayers for Kilo and his family..what a wonderful way for Kilo to show his love..God bless

21. melissa keon
    April 16, 2012 | 11:23 pm

Thanks GOD he’s going to make it!!! Awesome Dog!!! Hugs and Prayers!

22. Gene Larson
    April 13, 2012 | 6:04 pm

I, too, wish Kilo a speedy recovery. And, while we’re at it, let’s all write United Airlines about their recently imposed breed profiling that will keep any dog of certain breeds grounded.

• Milli Denney
      May 21, 2012 | 3:14 pm

It is so sad that many people don’t understand the concept of ‘dog love’. If you have never loved a dog, a big part of your brain has never been used.

And I am going to do some research on the United AIrlines story. RE-DI-CU-LOUS!!!!

23. Launa Banauna
    April 11, 2012 | 5:10 pm

Anyone who has ever owned or had a pitbull in their lives knows just how incredibly intelligent,loving and protective these dogs are. They are wonderful dogs and an asset to this world.

I wish a speedy recovery for Kilo and I will celebrate on the day the attacker is caught and prosecuted. I wish Kilo’s owner well and I am sure he is happy to have Kilo around for some more pitbull love, because there is truly nothing like it.

• pitdad
      May 8, 2012 | 3:28 pm

I couldn’t say it any better!

• Kathleen
      August 30, 2012 | 1:57 am

I agree wholeheartedly!!! I love these loving intellegent dogs and they would do anything for you.

24. [...] Yeah, I like hero dogs. Check out this story [...]

25. mari
    April 10, 2012 | 9:47 am

This is a hero dog, and look its a pit bull. Look at what human does to this breed, can we now get smart about this animal

• Tristan Walker
      May 9, 2012 | 12:30 pm

I also just heard about a pit saving his owner from an oncoming train after they passed out on the tracks.The owner…safe.The pit…lost a leg to protect her.Now why do people blame this breed for what people do to them?!

• Violet Weed
        May 23, 2012 | 3:09 pm

The dog lost a leg perhaps saving its owner’s life… we won’t know for sure because the owner is a drunken slattern who was walking along the tracks very late at night, drunk out of her mind. It’s probably more likely that the drunk cost her dog’s leg and shoulder by dragging it by its leash onto the tracks,then she passed out beside the tracks.
        Alcohol and its abusers do terrible things.

26. Karen O'Brien
    April 9, 2012 | 10:54 pm

Hope the dog heals quickly and the idiot is caught and prosecuted