Remembering The Dogs of The Titanic

April 15th will mark 102 years after the famed “unsinkable ship” struck an iceberg in the north Atlantic, sinking on its maiden voyage to America. But, did you know there were at least 12 dogs aboard the Titanic? It is suspected that many more dogs were on board that day, but because they were listed as cargo in the ship’s records, most details have been lost.

It has been said that Titanic had excellent kennel facilities, even planning a dog show for April 15th, the very day that the ship went down.

While the world is remembering the tragic events of April 15th, we’re taking a moment to honor and remember the dogs of the Titanic.

As reported by Yahoo! News, of the 12 confirmed dogs on the Titanic, only 3 survived the shipwreck – all of which were small dogs, 2 Pomeranian and 1 Pekingese, easily hidden inside a blanket or coat and carried into the limited space on lifeboats.

One Pomeranian named Lady, bought by Miss Margaret Hays while in Paris, shared the cabin with and was wrapped in a blanket by Miss Hays when the order was given to evacuate. The Rothschilds owned the other Pomeranian, and the Pekingese, named Sun Yat-Sen, was brought on board by the Harpers (of the N.Y. publishing firm, Harper & Row).

The ship’s captain, Capt. Smith, has been seen photographed on board Titanic with his dog, a large Russian Wolfhound named Ben. However, Ben only spent one night on the ship, before it left the dock, and was returned home to Capt. Smith’s daughter.

In a particularly touching account, one passenger, 50-year old Ann Elizabeth Isham, was said to have visited her Great Dane in the ship’s kennels daily. At one point, Isham was seated in a life boat, but when told that her dog was too large to join her, she exited the boat. Her body was found several days later, clutching onto her dog in the icy waters.

A photo of dogs on the Titanic. A dozen dogs were confirmed to be aboard; three small dogs survived. (Photo courtesy of Widener University)

Only first class passengers were permitted to bring dogs on board the ship. A few of those passengers were, Helen Bishop and her Toy Poodle named Frou-Frou, millionaire John Jacob Astor and his Airedale named Kitty, Robert Daniel and his French Bulldog, Gamin de Pycombe, William Carter and his family brought along two dogs – a King Charles Spaniel and an Airedale, Harry Anderson was joined by his Chow-Chow (aptly named Chow-Chow), and many other 4-legged passengers who remain unknown, including a Fox Terrier named simply, Dog.

Helen Bishop survived the Titanic, later reporting that her dog, Frou-Frou latched onto her dress with his teeth when she left him in their cabin. She reportedly said, “The loss of my little dog hurt me very much. I will never forget how he dragged on my clothes. He so wanted to accompany me.”

In a fortunate turn of events, one passenger, Charles Moore of Washington, DC, had planned to transport up to 100 English Foxhounds via the Titanic, but made arrangements on a different vessel at the last minute.

Two other dogs avoided disaster when they disembarked with their owners at Cherbourg, the ship’s first stop after leaving Southampton.

It’s hard to imagine being any part of this terrible tragedy, even harder to imagine having to make the decision to leave your dog when the ship began to sink… Would you have been able to do it?

202 Responses to Remembering The Dogs of The Titanic
  1. Pietr W
    April 17, 2014 | 11:27 am

I have come across this site quite by accident but feel compelled to leave a message.

Holy Cow – you magnificent bastard !! Your logic and humanity is a breath of fresh air in this crazy age. I salute you, sir or madam. Well done….you may have a seat in my lifeboat anytime.

• Kath
      April 17, 2014 | 1:50 pm

Pietre W whatever you call yourself. What’s this ganging up crap? Another knob saving another knob!!! Haha laughable!!! Two dicks on a chocolate raft more like!!! You fail to understand what the article was really about!! You have taken it too personal and obviously feel the need to try and verbally protect the insecure people who you side with!! Do you feel big now and understood? Keep quiet before you look an even bigger pillock!!! Remember this, the humans chose to go on the titanic! The dogs had no choice!! And there weren’t many of them. So it wasn’t like there were 101 dogs barking and ripping at people’s heels trying to get on the rescue boat!!! Don’t let your ego show you up by taking out your insecurities on innocent animals!!

April 18, 2014 | 8:57 am

Why do you keep moving the goalposts? None of my comments are about the article, they were a response to other commenters who said they would save their dogs over other humans.

And where do you get insecurity from my posts? Are you projecting?

2. Nik
    April 16, 2014 | 9:03 pm

You animal haters on here are not only making fools of yourselves but a total mockery of the tragic incident that took place. Look, if you don’t like dogs. Fine, that’s on you. If you disagree with us saying that we love our dogs like our children. Fine, that’s on you too. But you all need to just move on your merry ways and leave it alone. People can agree to disagree (discretely and respectfully) but the way you uneducated, inbred parasites come on here and put others down, is sick. You obviously have no respect for life other than yourselves and THIS is why the world is the way it is today. The “ME” generation. Seriously, just go huff some paint thinner and take a nap.

April 17, 2014 | 8:54 am

I’m pretty sure you’ve misrepresented me completely. Let’s take it line by line:

I am not an animal hater. And I am commenting on those who say that dogs are more important than humans, not the Titanic

Look, if you don’t like dogs. Fine, that’s on you.

I love dogs. Stop saying I don’t.

No one is saying you don’t.

But you all need to just move on your merry ways and leave it alone.

why? Why do I have to do what you say?

People can agree to disagree (discretely and respectfully)

yes they can

LOLOLOL. This is priceless, right after you say “respectfully” Pot, meet kettle.

This is the primary reason I am responding. The reason the world is the way it is today is because of people who have no ability to reason, no basis for morality, and no common sense. People who think with their emotions and therefore truly believe a dog is equal to a human because they want it so bad. Wishful thinking.

• Jackeee
        April 23, 2014 | 7:06 am

People who believe that a dog is of equal value of life to a human lack common sense and the ability to reason? What gave you so much power? You do realize we are all just animals, all living things share 98% of the same DNA. But typical self centered egotistical guy who believes HIS KIND is most important. Your truly like a racist believing your the best for no reason other than that’s what you are.

You can come back and say humans lives are more important because we contribute to society. Actually, we are destroying our society. We are the only living things not participating in a food chain, we are dominating it, polluting our earth, and covering up every inch of land we can find.

So tell me again, why are humans lives more important?
        Are we not just all animals?

P.S. Maybe it’s people like you that make others consider savings their dogs over a person like you.

3. Deirdre OBrien
    April 16, 2014 | 6:27 pm

i would not of left my faithful friend and companion on the ship with out me. I like the others on this site all love our dogs.

• gretta lucas
      April 16, 2014 | 9:35 pm

when it comes to my dog; you jump, I jump.

4. Gamias
    April 16, 2014 | 4:05 pm

Whoever says that “an animal’s life is less than a human” deserves to be hit by a meteorite, while being impaled on a rusty iron bar, that its sizzling hot!

Selfish bastards…

• awesome sauce
      April 16, 2014 | 4:51 pm

If I am still living after this ridiculous attack, can I go to the nearest hospital built by and staffed by dogs?

April 17, 2014 | 8:17 am

Anyone who says an animal’s life is equal or greater than a human’s is a flipping idiot. A moral midget.

Scenario: A kid you don’t know and your puppy are about to be run over by a truck. You can only save one. Anyone who says they would save their puppy over a kid is either insane, or evil. Or both. There’s a word for people who have no regard for other people. Sociopaths.

And none of this means I don’t love my dog dearly. I do. I just know it’s a dog. Not a human.

• Dana
      April 18, 2014 | 9:50 am

I love all my animals like children, but considering the times of the titanic, the poor were scum compared to first class. Considering such a drastic situation in the times it happened in, it leaves me unsettled that the first class were a priority to get off the boat as it is…and that their animals were over other humans…thats no disrespect to the dogs, its disrespect to the first class.

5. Dave right on 2
    April 16, 2014 | 4:01 pm

If you would die because you couldn’t take your pet with you, I applaud you. The more of you nutjobs that expire the better.

6. Luna Tick
    April 16, 2014 | 11:40 am

When push comes to shove, I’d wager my life savings that most here would leave their dogs. Humans are humans – Selfish.

7. Eurocat
    April 16, 2014 | 11:33 am

Wait the Titanic was a real ship? 4Reelz? I thought it was just a movie.

8. Bill Webb
    April 16, 2014 | 10:48 am

I once caught two dogs mating on my ranch. Good news- I machine-gunned them. Bad news- There were only 2 of them

April 16, 2014 | 11:56 am

No actually there was one asshole too… who used the Gun on them….I wish you was in front of me I would have put the longgggggg bamboo in your ass and would have taken out the other end from your mouth.

Then might be you will know what pain really is.

• Dave right on 2
        April 16, 2014 | 4:02 pm

Do you speak from prior knowledge?

• Bill Webb
        April 16, 2014 | 4:45 pm

hahahahahaha 3rd world justice from the pansies who wear silk pajamas out on the street.

• Esme
      April 17, 2014 | 4:38 am

I’m not sure why it is so important for the animal hating sub culture to raise its ugly head here. no one is pretending useless hateful humans exist. we know you exist. can’t avoid you even here. see if i had a gun and a no trespass right to kill whatever entered onto my property i’d send out invitations only to specific sludge. How about the animal haters switch from hating and killing pets to wondering why there is an actual person walking this planet and commenting that they had no idea the titanic wasn’t just a tragic romance movie. Ignorance abounds.

9. Kelly
    April 16, 2014 | 10:44 am

People who don’t love animals, don’t love humans! And I am a careworker for people who also loves animals to the heart, so some people just have to shut up!

• Gail
      April 16, 2014 | 5:18 pm

absolutely…..I most certainly would not leave my cat behind……cat/dog….love them all

10. meat
    April 16, 2014 | 10:39 am

Always bring a dog on the lifeboat. Their protein could sustain life for the survivors for an extra few days.

• Luna Tick
      April 16, 2014 | 10:46 am

Oh my God! This is so offensive……

….That you wouldn’t think to bring a small gas stove along as well!

• meat
        April 16, 2014 | 10:51 am

I was being serious. No greater sacrifice for a beloved family member than to give their life so that others may live. We should celebrate them as heros, naming schools, roads and buildings after them for their gift to others.

• BBear
          April 16, 2014 | 10:52 am

*Heiro’s

• buckeye in georgia
            April 16, 2014 | 11:26 am

Gyros

April 16, 2014 | 11:42 am

Yeah, If I was on that life boat I would have thrown you and your beloved family member ass off the boat so that other may live.But don’t worry I will name Dustbin, LOO area after your family name just for your gift to others.

• darklea
          April 17, 2014 | 12:49 am

amazing how quick we are to offer to sacrifice an innocent who cannot defend themselves,,and it is not a sacrifice if we do it, it’s called murder..
          This is so typically American and ignorant, you reflect the ignorance and greed of the government, they have done their job well.
          I would guess that after you murder the dog, you you would pick the baby or child since they are defenseless, or maybe the minority?
          do you have any respect for life other than your own??which to me is totally not worth saving..unless of course you were needed for food.

April 17, 2014 | 8:26 am

LOL “murder”
            The definition of murder is killing another human being.
            Dogs are not human beings. I am not a animal hater. I love my dog.

But Dogs are not equal to or better than humans. And your strawman is ridiculous. I am NOT talking about dogs because they are defenseless. I am saying they ARE NOT HUMANS BEINGS. I would say the same about any animal being substituted for a human.

You are the hater. You are the one accusing me of being a murderer, a racist, and that I should be killed for food. I am merely stating that as a human being, our first priority is saving other human beings. I am shocked, dismayed, and downright disgusted that there are people who believe that animals should take precedence over human beings. I cannot fathom that thought process at all.

• Mark
      April 16, 2014 | 11:12 am

I’ve never tried any of those trendy ethnic foods, like Chinese.

April 16, 2014 | 11:38 am

Yeah bcoz shit like you can’t give protien, what all you can give is just shit.

April 16, 2014 | 11:57 am

Yeah bcoz shit like you can’t give protien, what all you can give is just shit..

11. Proud Dog Mom
    April 16, 2014 | 9:28 am

Shame on ALL of you for turning this into a philosophical argument, just like everything else on the internet. Especially you, “Holy Cow.” This is a memorial piece, and for you to demand everyone’s attention for what you would do in a similar situation is deplorable. No one cares how horrible you think wanting to save a dog is. This article is for remembering the humans and four-footed friends lost that day, and NOTHING else. Stop trying to be a keyboard warrior and martyr…it just makes you a loser.

• Three Dog Mom
      April 16, 2014 | 9:39 am

I wandered onto the comments after reading what I thought was an interesting article about history and found all of this…. what? I don’t even know what to call it. My dogs have been there for me when people have failed me. Would I let one of them drown alone? No. Would I demand that others do as I would? No. Why engage the people who apparently don’t have much going on in their lives or heads? Put them on a “do not adopt to” list and ignore them.

12. Christina
    April 16, 2014 | 12:06 am

I think you need to ban Bryce and Holy cow from this thread. They’re spreading negativity and hate for no reason and if you believe that human beings are more important than every other animal on the planet then you have some /serious/ issues.

• Kelly
      April 16, 2014 | 10:45 am

Indeed!

• Gail
      April 16, 2014 | 5:25 pm

Serious issues indeed…….Take a moment and think about all the bad things that go on in this world……now, take another moment to realize that those bad things that happen are ALWAYS at the hands of a Human Being……not at the paws of animals……I would never leave my pet behind either…..but I’ll tell ya right now, there are definitely some humans that wouldn’t get anywhere near my lifecraft…….Many thoughts to the people and 4 legged friends that perished on that dreadful night….Woof Woof Meow !!!~

April 17, 2014 | 8:34 am

LOL, Advocating that animals are the equal of humans. And *I* am the one with issues? You realize your position is completely untenable, right?

Explain how your pets have equal rights to you…

Explain then how your pets differ from wildlife/farm animals…

Explain then how they differ from fish or insects or bacteria…

where is the cutoff?

13. Holy cow
    April 15, 2014 | 9:28 pm

I can kind of understand that one might love their pet so much that they would choose to stay with them and go down with the ship rather than abandon the pet. Kind of.

But anyone who suggests that a dog’s life is more important or even equal to a human’s life is a moral idiot.

You want to die with your pet? Go for it, no one’s stopping you.

You want to let me die?
    Or one of my children die?

To save your DOG?!?!?!?

You are deranged, deluded and downright evil. Anyone who would make that choice in real life should (and would) be prosecuted, and, if there is a hell, would be destined to spend eternity there.

• Shari
      April 15, 2014 | 10:05 pm

Call me deranged but I would not hesitate to let you and your children die for my dog.

April 15, 2014 | 10:25 pm

You are deranged. And evil.

• darklea
          April 17, 2014 | 12:51 am

are you kidding me??i would offer you and your children up as sacrifice for food,,lol, i hear children are extra tender..

• Maria
        April 16, 2014 | 4:17 am

I couldn’t agree more

• kim
          April 16, 2014 | 6:25 am

i also totally agree with this

• Gamias
        April 16, 2014 | 4:06 pm

Shari! I’m with you on this one…

• Gail
          April 16, 2014 | 5:31 pm

I’m with Shari and Gamias,

Holy Cow, it is people like you that make us Animal lovers stand behind our decisions to save our pets instead of yourself……You are the reason the world is the way it is today…..and if your kids are anything like what you’ve portrayed in your comments here, then they would be doing the “Doggy Paddle” right beside you while my Doggy was sitting beside me en route to shore…….Woof Woof

• Dawn
      April 15, 2014 | 11:15 pm

Why are you so upset? I didn’t see stated anywhere in this article that a dog’s life is more important than a human’s or that anyone was forced, or even asked, to give up his/her life or the life of another for a dog. In the future, you should read an article in its entirety before you go making an angry ass of yourself.

April 16, 2014 | 5:19 am

We will see who go to hell….this planet belongs to everyone and everyone has a right to live….and we can understand you love your life more than anyone else but I think you keep such thought to yourself and no one has asked here for your suggestions.If we humans has become Dominate life form of this planet the it does mean we see every other creature on this planet beneath us.

If nature has choosen us to be smarter then we should use it for the betterment of other life forms instead of killing them abusing them or specially eating them.

We can undertsand that you love your children, your family and they deserve to live…..but what would you say for those who can’t speak and does even stand a chance to live… even they have a soul.

• pat dupree
        April 16, 2014 | 11:39 pm

” If you think your life means more than other lives , keep it to yourself ” and ” If humans are the smartest species , then we should use that for the good of other species ” . Bhuwan Anand , I wish I had said that . You , sir / maam , are intelligent AND compassionate . Good for you ! I hope to meet you in heaven one day .

April 17, 2014 | 8:36 am

So….every animal has a right to live…

Even insects?

Even bacteria?

How do you handle cats catching mice? Don’t mice have the right to live? Doesn’t that make cats MURDERERS..

You are a fool.

• kim
      April 16, 2014 | 6:23 am

dogs are family fullstop. i would never leave a dog behind, they are living but the only difference is they dont have a voice. its so shameful that there is such horrible people on this earth that would leave a poor dog behind. id do anything for my furbabies.

• Luna Tick
      April 16, 2014 | 10:35 am

What a bunch of loons.

What if you were in an accident and you find out that someone saved their dog instead of your child, mother, or spouse?

April 16, 2014 | 11:49 am

Who did the accident you Idiot….Humans not animals….We are the one who always come in their way not they who come in our way.

Noone is saying here that Dog are superior than Human.

In life, everyone is equal and has place & dignity and we should respect everyone and it’s applicable for Humans also who even do partiality on the basis of class, racism or standards and not even loyal to their own kind.

and for your knowledge I will ask them to save even My Dog like they will save my child My mother or my spouse.

Bcoz even they have a soul and they feel the pain too and no one like the pain.

April 16, 2014 | 11:53 am

and Dog is the only animal who loves you more than he loves himself even in that situation when your own blood leaves you…no matter what is the situtaion they will stay with you always when you asshole child leaves.

14. Just sean
    April 15, 2014 | 7:19 pm

When hurricanes Katrina hit our city, we were ordered to evacuate. We live 1/2 block off the water, we had at the time 10 cats with kittens. We stayed where we were, shelters did not allow pets, and we were not about to leave them alone and afraid, to fend for themselves. We made do as best we could and all survived, but I would never have left them alone and afraid…never.

15. Kath
    April 15, 2014 | 6:40 pm

Bryce!! For some people, dogs are their children. What makes you feel that a humans selfish ass has more right over a dogs ass on a seat in the rescue boat. If I had the chance to take my dog with me in any situation, I’d make damn sure that you or anyone else wouldn’t grab the seat before him. Survival of the fittest you see. And when faced with these very tragic situations, it’s a case of grab it first!!! There’s no time to decide who gets what or not! Dogs are family and have just as much right to be rescued as the next person or kid if you like. It’s not for people like you to decide on who gives up their seat. You cannot compare. If your arse was as big as your gob then you’d have been kicked off first anyway!!

April 15, 2014 | 10:00 pm

I’m sorry Kath, you are wrong. Dogs do NOT have as much right to be rescued as humans do. In fact, dogs have no right to be rescued. Dogs get in line after ALL the humans are rescued. Then, and ONLY, then, would you think about dogs. And if you were preventing my child from getting on a life boat so your DOG could survive, either your dog or you (or both) would be getting off the lifeboat for my child.

• Nikki
        April 15, 2014 | 10:22 pm

Holy cow, go away and go spew your “logic” to people who think the same way as you. This is a DOG LOVER thread. It’s obvious that you aren’t one so therefore you are wasting your breath. Cheers!

April 15, 2014 | 10:26 pm

I said nothing about my love of dogs. I simply said people who value dog’s lives over people’s lives are moral idiots, deranged, and evil.

• Nikki
            April 15, 2014 | 10:29 pm

And you know what, we could all say the same thing about your views. Go start a keyboard war with someone who likes to engage with you. Bye bye now.

• Maria
            April 16, 2014 | 4:23 am

Holy cow how would you like to be thrown out of the boat if you were with some politicians because they think that they are more important than you and your child?

April 16, 2014 | 4:55 am

My dear friend I think you seriously need doctor help and I think you should see your doctor soon and people like you who think that your life is more important than any other living being on this planet….it’s no where written that Humans are above then any other life form on this planet every living form deserves and have a rights to live like Humans have….those Dogs did not ask for tickets to be on Titanic they were brought by Humans there……anything which is alive feels the pain and noone likes the pain my friend

April 16, 2014 | 5:29 am

Who said that only Human deserve to live and no one else it’s not about Dog’s life only, it’s about every living form on this planet. We will see when only Human will left on this planet and no other living form will be left to keep the ecological balance of Earth.

It us only who is kiling earth and like virus whereever we go, we just wrath the things instead of preserving them.

Every living form is made by nature to keep the ecological balance well but it us who is killing and disbalancing it.

• Kath
        April 16, 2014 | 6:23 pm

Holy cow! So you are saying that dogs have no right to be rescued at all then? Why? Eh!!! The funny thing about all this crap is that we are all lucky that we weren’t on this boat and any other boat!!! But are acting like we are!!! In fact, we can all bet that if faced with such a trajedy, there would be no time to piss about weighing up whose beloved pet or beloved child, gran, old man or whatever has a right to the rescue boat!!!! It would be a case of grab who you can and if lucky you would be able to grab your own!!!! End of!!!! We all know this is true. So for anyone acting like Bouncers, bullying people and throwing their bulk about would be guilty of wasting precious time and therefore end up saving jack shit!!!! Then it’s curtains for all!!!! This article has got personal and it’s about loss of life at the end of the day! All life is valuable. Human and animals. Remember dogs save people too!!! Never forget this!!! They go to war, sniff out druggies, bite the balls off bad guys, swim and pull boats and rafts with people on. Protect their homes and families. The list is endless. So if you are feeling demasculinised by any of this, then that’s the reason why you feel the need to lower the standards and go a step further by making sure that dogs have to wait in line blah blah!! You must have had a fall out with one at some point in your life!! Maybe you should start off with a small dog to help you get over it! And by the way, I think if there was a scuffle on boarding such boat, you would find yourself being so wrapped up in trying to pussy foot and attack people and their pets, you would actually miss the blood boat whilst mans best friend sails away and waves bye bye!!

April 17, 2014 | 8:37 am

Never said dogs have no right to rescue, just that their place in line starts after all the humans.

16. Leah
    April 15, 2014 | 2:58 pm

Um, no. They’re dogs. I have three human children whose lives are more important. If you had to choose between your kids or dogs, what would you do? Even if you were on the boat with no kids, I would reach out and grab someone else’s child to hold. It is sad that so many animals died, but even sadder that so many people died. And as much as people loved their dogs back then, they still looked at them as beasts, pets, in no way even comparable to a family member. I would’ve gone down with one of my kids, but not a dog.

• ILMM
      April 15, 2014 | 3:19 pm

You apparently missed the point of what others have written. Did it EVER don on you that some people can’t have kids and their pets are their kids? Have some compassion maam and if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.

• Amanda Johnson
        April 15, 2014 | 3:27 pm

Well said. I’m one of those you speak of.

• Caryl Myers
      April 15, 2014 | 4:26 pm

Sorry, I’d grab my dog first……………

• Nicole
      April 15, 2014 | 4:55 pm

Anyone who thinks a dog’s life is less important than a human’s is soulless. I would gladly save a child but my dog is getting saved first, hands down. He is my entire life and I am his entire life. I’m extremely disappointed by the condescending comments on here & felt compelled to reply to you idiots. If you don’t consider dogs as children or as important as children, you should not be commenting here. I don’t have children but I say almost daily, “I pray I love my child half as much as I love my dog”… Which honestly I find near impossible. I would never ever ever leave my baby and if that meant going down with him, so be it. I would gladly die for him any GD day of the week. F anyone who thinks that’s “stupid”.

• Rufus
        April 15, 2014 | 5:17 pm

Agree!! I would go down with my dogs!!! End of story!! So who wouldn’t, I respect the way you feel!!

• Tom Ager
          April 15, 2014 | 5:33 pm

I agree with you Nicole and Rufus!

• Nikki
        April 15, 2014 | 7:13 pm

LOVE your comment Nicole!!! Kudos to someone who has their head on correctly and knows what the true meaning of compassion and empathy is!! Unlike others on here (Bryce) who said he would throw someone’s dog overboard to save himself…sounds kinda similar to what J. Bruce Ismay did and guess what sir? He was looked down upon for the rest of his days because of his selfishness. I dare anyone to try and throw my dog overboard if I was in that situation, or they might just end up at the bottom of the ocean before hypothermia even sets in.

April 16, 2014 | 5:38 am

Agree! with you, I would do the same. If dog can give up there life when we are in dange without even thinking then why not we can. Such examples are alredy set by Dogs like how they did not think about there life to save there Human.They love us more then there own life

Whenever I see in the eye of my Dog I always feel how much trust they have in us that we will always be there for them and never ever hurt them.

When Dogs came to know there Humans have children they considered them as part of there family and can do anything to save the child.

and I have seen such real examples of my friends how His Dog killed a snake just to save child without even thinking of his life and my friend loved that Dog more than his life.

Plus DOG spell in reverse as GOD.

• Lei
      April 15, 2014 | 5:15 pm

Who are you to decide which living being is more important then the other?? All life matters!!! I would die trying to save my children and my dogs both.
      You are what is wrong with this world.

April 15, 2014 | 9:45 pm

All life matters? Really? so….
        You hold all life sacred?
        You have no leather at all in your clothes, furniture, car?
        And no animal byproducts in anything else you use, like fabric softener (made with horse and sheep fat)
        And if mice were in your house, you would not harm them?
        And if cockroaches were in your house, you would not spray or poison them?
        And you let mosquitos drink their fill when they land on you?
        And you don’t use any heartworm medication on your dogs (heartworms are people too!) or flea and tick medication (ticks have mommies!)
        Do you worry about the bacteria in your gut when you take antibiotics? They are dying by the millions!!! (luckily, many were saved by the lifeboats of the Titanic. Phew!!)

And you are a vegan?
        But….aren’t plants alive, too? How can you stand killing such defenseless life forms? They can’t even MOVE for gosh sakes!

All life is not equal, no matter how much you want it to be otherwise.

• Maria
          April 16, 2014 | 4:40 am

Of course all life is not equal but who are you to think that you as a human I mean, that you are THE most important animal on the planet? Don’t you ever watch the news? The things we as a superior race are doing every day? God the 80% of us should be dead for planet sake!!!!! So yes I wouldn’t leave my dog if I had the power to do so or I would stay with him because he is my child and I don’t think I could live with my self watching him in my mind straggling alone searching for the only one who trusts.

April 17, 2014 | 8:43 am

Which 80% should be dead? Who gets to pick, you?

I’ve always said, to those who insist overpopulation of the world is a problem: Think Globally, Act Locally, Charity begins at home.

• Nancy
      April 15, 2014 | 8:33 pm

You’re an idiot!! I agree with ILMM!! Keep your big fat mouth shut!

April 15, 2014 | 9:52 pm

Don’t let the other comments bother you. You are the one with moral clarity here.

• darklea
      April 17, 2014 | 12:53 am

you would race for shelter and then realize you left your kids

17. Gregory
    April 15, 2014 | 11:31 am

I own 2 dogs, and have owned others in the past. There is no way in hell I’m going to even remotely consider making a person give up a seat in a lifeboat for my dog or dogs. as for the “he;d be fine on my lap” nonsense, those boats requried you to row. You don;t have room in your lap then there’s an oar there. If you did, then take some stranger’s small child over the damn dog.

• Wolf
      April 15, 2014 | 12:53 pm

Wow you don’t deserve to be a dog owner with that horrendous attitude. A persons dog is their child and deserves the same respect as a human child.

• ILMM
        April 15, 2014 | 3:17 pm

Agreed Wolf! Some people don’t deserve to have any animal, let alone a human child.

• rosemarie
      April 15, 2014 | 2:47 pm

u are a idiot

• ISOLD
        April 15, 2014 | 3:22 pm

Gregory for sure is the one that will forget about everyone else, his ass first!, why to care about a dog ?, maybe a child but i don’t think so, to take care about someone else’s kid when he can not think about his own dogs?

• Frank
        April 15, 2014 | 4:33 pm

Nice reply,Rosemarie

• Kristal
        April 15, 2014 | 10:43 pm

“YOU are AN idiot.”

• Bryce
      April 15, 2014 | 5:02 pm

Totally agree. You have your head on straight. A person’s dog is not their child, it’s their dog. Wolf, I’m so throwing your dog overboard if it means another seat on the lifeboat for a human.

April 15, 2014 | 9:54 pm

Spot on, sir

• Sparky
        April 16, 2014 | 7:28 am

Holy Cow and Byrce and whoever else are making such cruel and hurtful comments, there is a quote that says “You can judge a man’s true character by the way he treats his fellow animals”- Paul McCartney, therefore by your comments you clearly are not very compassionate or sympathetic people. Regardless of whether you are a ‘dog lover’ or ‘animal lover’ which you are clearly not, your comments have just shown that you are very ego-centric people and possibly show that you wouldn’t even give up your seat to save another human being. As someone mentioned before dogs were brought onto the Titanic by HUMANS not voluntarily hoping on board. Therefore as a owner it is the owners responsibility to get their dogs home safe so it was only right for them to try and get home safe. Anyhow in reality we are NOT fighting for seats on the Titanic’s lifeboats in which it would have been the officers decision who get the seats anyway NOT yours! INSTEAD we are on a page after reading a beautiful heart moving article about the heroic dogs who survived the Titanic and those who sadly did not. I’ll keep them in my thoughts anyway. If you were decent human beings you would have respected the article and what it meant to your fellow ‘human’ beings which you claim to be the most important in the world. If you actually READ the ARTICLE in its entirety you would see that no dog actually took up a seat for a human so your complaints and irreverent comments are actually quite useless here and I suggest you try take up your time elsewhere seen as how you seem to have a lot of it, considering you’re writing cruel and irrelevant comments on a ‘dog lover’ page. I will leave you with another quote “We must fight against the spirit of unconscious cruelty with which we treat animals. Animals suffer as much as we do. True humanity does now allow us to impose such sufferings on them. It is our duty to make the whole world recognise it. Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace”- Albert Shweitzer.

April 16, 2014 | 5:45 am

Yeah! every one knows how they adjusted the life boat even for your so called well civilised Human instead of Damm Dogs, first they allowed people with high class on boat and even with enough space they did not allow lower class people to be on boat and when chaos was quite high people showed there true color and fought with each other to save themselves.

Where dog stand a chance between these civilised people

• Luna Tick
      April 16, 2014 | 11:03 am

That child could become the next Albert Einstein or Benjamin Franklin and the folks here would save an animal over that.

• darklea
      April 17, 2014 | 12:55 am

once again you would be in such a panic to save your own greedy little life you wouldn’t even think of your children until your ass was safe,,if you have children and cannot appreciate the helplessness of innocents, then you are a broken toy

18. Rosemary
    April 15, 2014 | 10:23 am

My babies go with me or I stay . . . during evacuation for a Hurricane I took along my English Bulldong, our two cats and my son had his snake . . .

• Danielle
      April 15, 2014 | 3:17 pm

My dogs and cats are my family. They are my babies. If they go I go, if they stay I say. It’s that simple.

• ISOLD
      April 15, 2014 | 3:17 pm

well done, they are family members too!

April 16, 2014 | 5:47 am

Even they have a Soul, it’s not like they are just toys for us.

I can’t live my baby behind and for God forbid if such thing happens, I don’t think so I would be able to live with this selfish act.

19. Shaymanbob
    April 15, 2014 | 10:05 am

“I’m afraid some of you are going to have to stay on board or swim, this boat is reserved for my dogs, women and children. And the kids only get in if they behave themselves. If you consider yourself big enough and hard enough to remove us you are welcome to try.”

20. Diana
    April 15, 2014 | 7:19 am

If my furbabies couldn’t accompany me off the ship…I know with every ounce of my being that I would have stayed behind holding them…even if if meant me dying. I’d rather die with my furbabies then know I left them behind to die such a horrible death all alone. I would never have been able to live with myself. For those who left their scared pets behind to save their own hides on the Titanic…I hope Karma came around and got them good!

• andyj
      April 15, 2014 | 8:00 am

I agree, but maybe she had an infant as well that needed her? I also don’t think women had much say in what went on. I just don’t like crucifying her since there may be many others that did as well. Why should she be singled out? She obviously cared very deeply about it.

• lyn kash
        April 15, 2014 | 9:01 am

I worked on 3 separate titanic exhibits at the museum where I work.bishop was told getting in the lifeboat was a mere formality,in case of the remote possibility the ship might sink,but in all likelihood,she would be reboarding the ship in an hour or two.this may have been a lie told by crew to induce reluctant passengers to leave the titanic and board the cold,small freezing lifeboat.before titanic was listing and the danger became clear,if u wereon an upper deck it seemed safe.their was music,lights,heat.the titanic looked safe and the prospect of going into the freezing ocean in a small boat seemed scary.not to panic anyone,the crew,who knew the real deal,told people “its just a formalyt.when the ship is fixed,u will reboard.” this is what bishop says she was told.she was not sure whether to bring frou-frou or not,but decided he might freeze to death in the lifeboat.since she believed she would shortly reboard,it made sense to her to let the dog stay inside “safe” and warm,while she went into the lifeboat.this was untrue info given to her,and I think also,she was in denial.she maintained till the end of her life she thought at the time she was doing the right thing for her dog,and she remained upset by her bad choice all her life.cut her some slack tho-she did not decide to kll her dog,she made a quick decision,under false information and some duress.she did the best she coud with the info she had,which is all any of us can do.unfortunately,in this case,she meant to save the dog (from the cold)but eended up sentencing it to death by sinking.this outcome was not her intention.a good many bad choices and tragedies went on that night.readup on the Allison family-theres another mistake that led to tragedy.but who knew? how can u second -guess fate?u make ur decisions,and sometimes u win…sometimes,all is lost.

• lyn kash
          April 15, 2014 | 9:02 am

correction,i worked on 2 titanic exhibits hit wrong key

• lyn kash
            April 15, 2014 | 9:11 am

also,everyone please remember,helen bishop was only 19 when the ship went down.

• Claudia
          April 15, 2014 | 12:45 pm

I did not know she was given false information. If this is true I retract my negative comments about Helen Bishop.

• Claudia
          April 15, 2014 | 1:19 pm

Here is a link to Helen Bishop’s interview when she returned. She talks about her dog and said she felt nobody would have any sympathy for Frou Frou but she does not mention anything else. She was in the first lifeboat which was not even full. I think she she was haunted by her guilt at leaving her dog in the cabin.

21. Brandy
    April 15, 2014 | 7:04 am

They go,I go.

22. Claudia
    April 15, 2014 | 5:50 am

Helen Bishop should have been haunted for the rest of her days. She did not even TRY to hide her tiny toy poodle under a blanket and sneak him off. She just coldly left him in the cabin to die alone even whike he was clutching at her begging her to save him. It seems those that had smaller dogs were able to conceal them and get them in the boats. I know there are sometimes hard choices to be made but you have to at least try to save the animals who have nobody to speak for them except you.

• lyn kash
      April 15, 2014 | 8:46 am

I work in the n.c museumof natural sciences.ive worked on 2 separate travelling exhibitions of titanic,dressed as Margaret (“molly”) brown.the story with Helen bishop,is that she was told boarding the lifeboat was a mere formality,a “just in case” sort of thing,and that she would most likely be back on board ion a few hours.it was not obvious at that point that the ship would indeed sink…she debated taking frou-frou,but then figured the tiny dog would be better in the warm cabin than in the freezing lifeboat,and at that point,she did believe the lie that she would be rejoining the ship later,and that boarding was just a precaution.many people were told”its just a formality” in order to convince them to leave the ship.some lifeboats left a bit early and it did not seem to be sinking yet,so it did plausible.and yes,from all accounts ,Helen bishop was haunted by leaving frou-frou behind.she said she had trouble deciding whtther to leave the dog or take it aboard the freesing lifeboat,when she was told she would reboard after the ship was fixed.others who survived reported being told similar things.i think these were lies told by the crew to induce reluctant passenfers to get in the lifeboats without causing panic.its easier to say”oh,we’ll fix the ship,u will reboard later” than to say ‘get on or u will die!’ which would cause chaos.this poor woman,and many others,had a very brief moment in time in which to decide to board or not to board,without dogs and without husbands,fiancees,sons.who knows what any of us would have done that night? Helen bishop maintained till the end of her life that she truly thought the dog would be better off in the cabin,and that she would see him later.from all accounts,she never got over it.so lets not be too hard on her.she wasn’t Michael vick,wantonly killing dogs.she was a confused woman on a confusing and dangerous night,who had minutes to decide what to do,in the face of conflicting evidence,outright lies,and the human failing of too much optimism,too much denial.a realist may have suspected”im going down,i better take the dog>’but she was young,naive,scared and told by “authority figures” (male crew) that the lifeboats were “a formality,just in case of the remote possibility of a sinking.and remember,titanic was thought to be nearly unsinkable and perfect.it was billed as such.it might have been very hard for Helen bishop and others to wrap their heads around the fact that they were in fact,at gr8 peril.before the boat began to list,it seemed normal if u were on an upper deck,with heat,lights,music playing,how could it be sinking?but it was.sometimes u think u made a good decision,but its a bad one.its tragic frou-frou paid the price of Helen bishops bad decision..but it was not done in cold blood.she was afraid the dog would freeze while she was in the lifeboat for the “formality.”

• lyn kash
      April 15, 2014 | 8:47 am

I should have proof read sorry for many typing errors

April 16, 2014 | 5:55 am

Sure she was haunted by her guilt for such selfish act, Dog wasn’t begging her, he just wanted to be with her because might be he knew that something bad was happening and wanted to save her or be with her because of his love.

But she thought to save herself first.God rest that Dog soul in peace.

23. Simran Dhawan Sharma
    April 15, 2014 | 5:46 am

I never leave alone my dog… if she die i die with her…

24. Leslie Long
    April 15, 2014 | 4:37 am

My furbabies have always stayed by my side, I would stay by theirs…I would go down with the ship.

25. Nikki
    April 15, 2014 | 2:49 am

As a person (and a huge dog lover) who had a family member who died on the Titanic and having been told the stories shared down from the generations, I can honestly say that if they had’ve told me to leave my dog on the ship and for me to get into the lifeboat, I would’ve stayed with her. No questions asked and without even a hesitation. Even if that meant I had to die. I would rather go with her than know she suffered without me holding her. I personally don’t have children however it does get somewhat annoying when at least one person has to bring the “children are more important” theories onto these threads. Some people can’t have children so they look at their dogs as their kids. So without sounding rude, to the person who brought that comment here, please just stop. May we never forget all the lives lost on Titanic – whether they have 2 legs or 4! <3

• andyj
      April 15, 2014 | 8:07 am

I really don’t think she had a choice. They probably bodily carried her off which she called ‘leaving her dog’ behind.

• Nikki
        April 15, 2014 | 3:21 pm

That’s not what I meant nor was I referring to that.

• Kathy
      April 15, 2014 | 5:03 pm

Very well said! Whether 2-legs or 4, all deserve a chance to survive. Even more so the 4-legged for they have no power and only have humans that are supposed to care for them.

26. Randall
    April 15, 2014 | 2:07 am

I would never leave Nixon (my blue heeler x) to that fate; to need me and wonder where i am at that incredibly terrifying moment. We would board a lifeboat together or go into the water together and take our chances. If we cross the Rainbow Bridge side by side I would be fine with that knowing that I did what I could and didn’t abandon him.

27. John
    April 15, 2014 | 2:01 am

Yep, I’d go down with my loves.

28. Laura
    April 14, 2014 | 10:54 pm

I,like Ann Elizabeth Isham,would be with my Sheltie boys. When Superstorm Sandy came, there was 2 feet of water outside my door. I put the dogs and myself on the bed and waited. Thankfully very little water came in. But I would never leave my boys.

29. myrnarodriguez
    April 14, 2014 | 10:07 pm

I never leave alone my dog… if he die I die with him…

30. Betty Lou
    April 14, 2014 | 9:30 pm

Though it was a terrible death and all that died that day suffered in those agonizing hours, take comfort that once they died, their suffering was over and they were delivered into the peaceful beyond. I think the anticipation of death is worse than death itself.

31. Betty Lou
    April 14, 2014 | 9:26 pm

Okay, what if you had a child AND a dog? They won’t let you take the dog. The terrified child won’t get in the boat without you. I think there are situations where you HAVE To choose human life over an animal’s life. Terrible choice to make.

32. Betsy
    April 14, 2014 | 8:43 pm

Would have found me clinging to a piece of the ship WITH my dog.

33. Jim
    April 14, 2014 | 8:40 pm

I’m afraid they would have found me like the lady with the Great Dane. Frozen holding on to each other.

34. Renee Koenitzer
    April 14, 2014 | 8:32 pm

Lily would come with me, or I would stay with her. Hell, most of the boats left just partially full. If I saw one leaving that way, I’d have found a way for her and me to get on, you bet!

35. Tina Miller
    April 14, 2014 | 7:46 pm

I would have gone down with my dogs…no way would I leave them behind to die alone.

• Colin
      April 14, 2014 | 8:07 pm

I wouldn’t have left my dog to die alone either. He is part of my family. We would have entered heaven together.

36. maria luisa redona
    April 14, 2014 | 7:42 pm

I AM SO GLAD THAT MOST PEOPLE LOVE DOGS TO THE DEATH !! JUST LIKE ME !! YES I DIE WITH THEM !! FEELINGS LIFE WITH THEM IS THE GREATEST GIFT OF MANKIND FOR ME !!HOW COULD YOU SLEEP AFTER LEAVING YOUR DOG BEHIND IN DISASTER !I WONDER HOW SHE COPE THAT SLEEPLESS NIGHTS AFTER THAT TRAGIC HAPPENS ABOUT HER DOG !OR JSUT NO CONSCIENSE AT ALL !
    A BIG NO ! NO !! TO LEAVE THEM ! THEY ARE MY LIFE ! THEY ARE MY BREATH !! HW CAN I BREATHE WITHOUT THEM ! OH MY GOD DONT LET ME HAPPEN LIKE THAT TITANIC ! OR WHATEVER DISASTER ! CAUSE I KNOW I DIE WITH THEM !!

37. Dennis
    April 14, 2014 | 6:39 pm

I, also would not leave my dog to die alone in the icy water. We would go down together.

38. kit peto
    April 14, 2014 | 6:11 pm

There were always cats on a ship to deal with vermin, and there also may have been some along as people’s pets, too. None of them are known to have survived.

39. Shay
    April 14, 2014 | 5:47 pm

As horrible a situation that the Titanic was, I couldnt imagine abandoning my dogs to drown. Not possible! We would stay together. No matter what.

40. Cindy Venettozzi-Bly
    April 14, 2014 | 5:38 pm

There was a Newfoundland aboard the Titanic that survived and was picked up by the other ship. The captain kept the dog. He was reportedly owned by the steward who was loading people on the lifeboats. He committed suicide and the Newfoundland was looking for his owner before hew rescued.

41. Charlie
    April 14, 2014 | 5:29 pm

I would rather sink with my dogs than survive without them.

42. Patricia Downes
    April 14, 2014 | 4:47 pm

If it had just been me and my dog I can truthfully say we would have died together.

43. Sarah Saylor
    April 14, 2014 | 3:50 pm

What a terrible choice to have to make, but we can’t forget that many people had to choose whether or not to leave a family member behind. There were not enough life boats for the people, so I can certainly understand not allowing pets on them as sad as it is. What a horribly tragic event and senseless loss of life.

44. Irena
    April 14, 2014 | 2:47 pm

Respect Ann Elizabeth Isham!

45. Meagan
    April 14, 2014 | 2:44 pm

I can’t imagine leaving my poor fur babies behind. I would have found a way to get them on a boat. They should have allowed the dogs. They don’t take up much room and would have helped keep people warm. The only thing that would have made me leave them is saving my daughter, but I probably would have sent her with someone else she would be safe with and tried to save my pups. Just a sad situation all around…Hope I never have to make that choice.

46. Cheryl Dwyer
    April 14, 2014 | 2:42 pm

I too would have gone with my dogs. They are the only honest and loving friends Ive had for years.

47. Rondal Lawson
    April 14, 2014 | 2:37 pm

I would’ve went down with my dogs in the ship.

48. C Whitten
    April 14, 2014 | 1:57 pm

No. Not a chance that I would leave without my precious babies. I couldn’t have lived with myself if I had and life wouldn’t have been worth living anyway.

49. Ruth Ann
    April 14, 2014 | 1:41 pm

I actually went to a public tornado shelter once, when our county was under a tornado warning. They wouldn’t let my precious dog in the shelter (even though he was going to be in my arms) and told me to leave him in my car. Poor thing was shivering and scarred to death. So you know what, I got in my car and left. My precious dog and I got into a hall closet and were safe and sound. The next month I ordered an in ground shelter. And any of my neighbors and their pets are more than welcome in the shelter during bad weather.

So to answer the question, I would have went down with the ship and my pet!

• susan
      April 14, 2014 | 2:34 pm

awesome way to handle such discrimination of the furry kids. though I almost understand the thought process of those in charge. gladly many shelters are now changing policies

• Dorie
      April 14, 2014 | 4:31 pm

I agree with you! If someone turned my animal away, I too would take them and find a place for both of us. In otherwords, I would’ve gone down too!

• darklea
      April 17, 2014 | 12:59 am

wasn’t allowed to take my dog to a hurricane shelter in key west..my friend also had a dog,,we stayed at his house because ti was the safer of the two,,we did not leave the dogs..it is unforgivable..

50. Linda
    April 14, 2014 | 12:54 pm

Is there just no end to the grief we are exposed to daily? Makes me want to completely unplug.

• Lorraine
      April 14, 2014 | 1:48 pm

yes, unplug and die

• Jonah
        April 14, 2014 | 1:58 pm

That was completely uncalled for. Linda is right, there is so much bad news lately, we need some feel good stories in order to decompress. Go take a long hard look in the mirror and figure out why you felt the need to wish death on someone you don’t even know – sounds like you could use some cheering up yourself.

• Lauren
          April 14, 2014 | 6:40 pm

It’s not just lately, it’s always been this way – it’s just with the internet, and news of all kinds being so accessible and easily shared and widespread, we hear it all. Unfortunately the bad will always outweigh the good, many times over.

• Ellen Kline
          April 15, 2014 | 11:36 am

I would neva leave my babies to die,i would keep them with me at all times or i would not go to where eva,my pets become my family,if i cannot take my child with then count me out

51. Stefany potter
    April 14, 2014 | 12:52 pm

Oh yeah no doubt about it… I’d never let anything ever happen to my babies… I’d do my best to protect them and would never in a million years leave them. My dogs are my family (hands down). They’ve always been there for me when no one else would.. they’ve never let me down.. and I’d never let them down.. I’d turn into a lunatic if they were even threatened in ANY way.. I’d die for them.. so yeah if we were on that ship (we’d get off together or die together)…

• Mimi
      April 14, 2014 | 1:34 pm

I so totally agree with you… You are definitely my kind of person…I wish I knew you.. I think we would be such good friends!! :)

52. allice
    April 14, 2014 | 12:51 pm

Wow so so sad, that would not work out fine if you ask me to do that. It is criminal that they demanded that. Why cant people understand that a dog is a member of the family, nothing less ! It would rip out my heart to leave one of my dogs behind, just like it would with blood family. :(

53. Callie
    April 14, 2014 | 12:45 pm

I love my Jack Russells so much it makes my heart want to burst. My Kadi has been with me longer than my husband. And Cassie, who is half Kadi’s age, is my children’s best friend. I haven’t seen any of the responses to this article talk about human children. What if you had all your babies with you, canine and human alike, and you were boarding the lifeboats and told you had to leave your pups behind? I can’t even say what I might do because I don’t know how I could live either way.

• allice
      April 14, 2014 | 12:52 pm

indeed !

54. linda harling
    April 14, 2014 | 12:43 pm

don’t think could have left my dog!

55. Anthony
    April 14, 2014 | 12:40 pm

I would never leave my dog or any dog behind to die! that’s insane I would be dead in the ocean with them for sure, no doubt about it.

56. Daniel Simpson
    April 14, 2014 | 12:39 pm

I am reduced to tears, I had never even known there were dogs on board. It makes me so sad that they lost their precious lives that night. How scared they must have been, I cannot imagine the fear they felt. I could NEVER leave my babies behind. Not even possible to think about it. That is why I will never take a trip or cruise that my babies cannot go on. I will not leave them for any reason. ANY REASON. And they would come before any of my family members. That decision would be made in a second, without hesitation.

57. Daniel Simpson
    April 14, 2014 | 12:32 pm

No, I would have gotten my dogs on the raft with me, and I would have insured this because I would have carried a gun and stuck it in anybody’s face that messed with me otherwise. My precious dogs go where I go, if they can’t, I do not go. It’s like this for example, my wife wants to go on a day trip to another state, and maybe spend the night. If we cannot take our 2 dogs, 2 female Pommies, Roxxie & Lapita, then 1, I will not go on this trip, or 2, we take them both!! Truthfully, and without remorse or regret, my dogs mean more to me than 98% of my 2 families combined, mine, AND hers. My girls have never lied to me, or about me, never stolen from me, neve spread BS rumors about me, or turned their back to me when I needed them. So yeah, screw the family, gimme my dogs.

• peggy
      April 14, 2014 | 1:45 pm

Yes Daniel, I agree with you I have three small dogs and I would not go anywhere without them, If I was on that ship either we all survive or we all die. I would not be seperated from them.

• Betty Lou
      April 14, 2014 | 9:24 pm

So Daniel, you’d use your gun to make sure the dogs got in the boat with you (displacing a person, maybe a child) rather than staying with the dogs on the ship? As a man, you wouldn’t make it. Men were supposed to go last. All a dog wants is to be with his master.

58. Maru
    April 14, 2014 | 12:25 pm

I would never leave them behind.
    I would die with them or I would attempt all of us survival.., if failed, we would all perish.

59. Bonnie
    April 14, 2014 | 12:20 pm

My dogs by my side…always. I wish all people loved dogs as much as we do. God bless the little ones who went down that day.

• Vickie Francis
      April 14, 2014 | 12:31 pm

my little Cheechie a 5lb chihuahua, there would be no way I could just leave him behind, he would have to go in my pocket.

60. Toye
    April 14, 2014 | 12:16 pm

Would never have left mine all alone and behind. how scared they must have been.

61. Allen
    April 14, 2014 | 11:43 am

It is good to know that the attitudes of humans toward their best fur friend has actually increased 100+ years since the Titanic sinking. I have two dogs with a combined weight of over 140 pounds: I would not leave them behind either because they trust me with their lives. To not have them in my life I would rather be dead.

• Daniel Simpson
      April 14, 2014 | 12:34 pm

Your comment brought tears to my eyes. I too, FIRMLY believe in my dogs, and would NEVER EVER even concieve of leaving them behind. Not for any reason.

62. jaclyn1973
    April 14, 2014 | 11:40 am

What would I have done? I honestly don’t know. I can say that I would have stayed with my beloved pet, but it’s been my experience that we never really know exactly what we will do in a difficult situation until we are actually faced with it. When I lived in New Orleans I always took my dog and cat with me when I evacuated. I do know I would never have gone to a shelter since I wouldnt have been able to take them, too.
    This is so very sad. I agree with another poster in that I wish I had not known.

• susan
      April 14, 2014 | 2:41 pm

you are so right that we do not know what we would do until we are faced with the situation. I would like to think I would never leave my pet, but if I was faced with leaving a child or even a grandparent or any person behind because I took my furkid well just don’t know what I would do!

63. Tina
    April 14, 2014 | 11:33 am

I could never leave my Diamond behind. I would die with her in icy waters as well!

64. Annette
    April 14, 2014 | 11:15 am

I would have NEVER have left my dog behind.
    No matter what the outcome would have been
    For us!!!
    We would have met our God in Heaven together!

• delina
      April 14, 2014 | 11:22 am

yes is true, i will never left my animal behind.no matter what.

65. Sherri
    April 14, 2014 | 11:13 am

NO!! There is no way that I would’ve left my Snickers to face the icy waters alone! He is my world and I hope I am his! He comforts me, brings me joy and loves me unconditionally – he is the ONLY one who has never abandoned me and I would never do it to him!!

66. Dawn
    April 14, 2014 | 11:10 am

I would just have to go down with the ship with my babies in my arms.

67. Diablo 3 Inferno
    June 19, 2013 | 4:48 am

…………………………………………………………………………………………… You don’t even know the lentgh or quality and still no problem? It’s because of people like you that those games finally cost near a 100$

68. MARIA K
    April 14, 2012 | 7:26 pm

I got rottweilers & I’m handicap, if there was no room for me, wheelchair & my 2 rotties, they would have had to shoot me or find my body clinging to my dogs. NO FRIGGEN WAY IM LEAVING WITHOUT THEM. I NEED THEM AS MUCH AS THEY NEED ME, IF NOT MORE.

69. Joan
    April 13, 2012 | 7:35 pm

I agree that this is depressing. I did not know about the dogs. I could not have left my dog there. All my dogs are a very important part of my life and our family.

70. Carrie Young
    April 12, 2012 | 8:45 pm

This is just depressing. I’d have rather not known.

71. Doris Sturm
    April 12, 2012 | 9:19 am

You never know for sure what you would do in such a terrifying situation, but I would like to think that NO, I would not have left my dog but dragged him along in a purse or under my dress if I had to…surviving is one thing, but living with the knowledge you abandoned your best friend would be haunting me for the rest of my life…but again, one just never knows for sure and hopefully I’ll never have to find out! How tragic for everyone on board!

• Cass
      April 14, 2014 | 12:23 pm

I feel the same way I could not live with myself if I left my Jimmy to die a horrable death, but like you say I hope I never have to make that dicetion I feel for all animals. I love them all. I am a crazy animal person haha

72. gioia spano
    April 12, 2012 | 5:29 am

I never never never leave my dogs on the ship…for me it’s better die whith my friends!!

73. Toni
    April 11, 2012 | 9:36 pm

I like the lady that was found clutching her beloved dog, would be found the same way. I would not be able to leave my dog behind. All of my dogs are my ‘kids’ and would never be left behind to die alone…

74. Susan
    April 11, 2012 | 9:31 pm

No way in the world would I have left my pet/s. I too would have been found in icy water
    clutching them in my arms. I can’t even come close to imagine
    leaving them behind.

75. Cat Robinson
    April 11, 2012 | 9:04 pm

I would have died with my dogs. I cannot imagine leaving them, the fear and uncertaintly they would have felt. Surely they would have been panicked to be plunged into the icy water, but I would have tied them to me, and we would have gone together. If I had been traveling without my pets, I would have likely stayed behind with those left to perish.

76. Cheryl Y
    April 11, 2012 | 6:02 pm

No,no and NO,I could not have left my dog Klaus to die such a horrible death !I,like Ann,would have been found clinging to my beloved rottweiler in the frigid sea – loyal to the end !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

77. marlene hodgkins
    April 11, 2012 | 5:01 pm

I have a 100 pound Akita–usualy have medium to large dogs–would have died before leaving my dog–she trusts me totally. Would willingly gone into the ocean with her rather than leaving her to such a terrifying death–at least she would have been with her pack person. I think some people should not have animals

78. Rose Harries
    April 11, 2012 | 4:37 pm

simple answer . . .NO!!!!! How that woman have left her dog when he so desperatly wanted to be with her.Ann Elizabeth Isham who jumped off with her dog deserves a medal.Seeing half the boats went away empty it shouldnt have mattered if the dog was there. REST PEACE ALL DOGS

• Wendy
      April 14, 2014 | 9:49 pm

I thought there wasn’t enough life boats and that’s why so many people went down with the ship. I would of stayed with my dogs too.

79. Dawn Frydenlund
    April 11, 2012 | 3:25 pm

Simple choice for me. There’s no way I would have left my pets behind. It’s good to see a story about the animals involved in this disaster. They deserve to be remembered too.

80. nikki shepherd
    April 11, 2012 | 2:41 pm

Such a sad story. There’s no way I would’ve left without my fur babies.

81. Dog Lover
    April 11, 2012 | 2:09 pm

No, I couldn’t leave my dogs behind. I lost my home to fire 9 years ago–I was not leaving without my dogs. We fared better than the house:-S

82. Paws
    April 11, 2012 | 2:00 pm

I read a story yrs ago and it stated that only one dog went down with the shop a bulldog and his owner was awarded £1000 compensation and I thought how terrible and sad and wondered to if one dog was correct now I see it isn’t.i think a little memorial shud be erected ontheir memory to.poor poor dogs. Bless them all.

83. Lauren
    April 11, 2012 | 1:45 pm

No! Simple as! No! I would not have left any of my animals and wouldnt have let that woman leave her dog behind in the cabin, that was heartbreaking, i would have died before i let my dogs die, i would have joined Ann Elizabeth Isham and my body would have also been found holding my dogs. It was a horrible tragic event but atleast we understood what was happening and what we needed to do, the poor animals couldnt try and escape, they didnt know what was going on, they didnt know why they were being left behind locked in rooms with no escape. If you have a pet, then that pet becomes your responsability no matter what and you should do all you can to look after them x

• karen cooper
      April 11, 2012 | 1:56 pm

Ii agree I wud of stayed wiv my dog or tried my best to get him on a lifeboat too! He is only small and wud of bin fine on my lap! I never knew till today animals were aboard! How very fdrightened they wud ave bin! A awful thing to happen to the people and annimals that died!

• nikki shepherd
      April 11, 2012 | 2:44 pm

Amen! I agree with every word. I hate to admit it, but the first staff member that told me I had to leave my baby behind would’ve gone overboard!

84. Helen Rowan
    April 11, 2012 | 1:36 pm

Aww how very sad that these poor defenceless animals didn’t get the choice to live. Just like the rest of the poor souls on board the Titanic . R.I.P. all of you. xxxx

85. Judi
    April 11, 2012 | 1:31 pm

I’m afraid i would have been like Miss Isham–i couldn’t think of leaving my dog behind. The poor dog that belonged to that Bishop woman-how terrified it was, and she couldnt be bothered to scoop him up & take him with her. The whole disaster was horrible, and to know that people and animals suffered needlessly is heartbreaking.

• taylor
      August 20, 2012 | 2:34 pm

Oh how I agree with you… they would have found us frozen together, never in my most insane state of mind, could I ever leave my precious friend in a state room!!! Scooped him up and tried to do the best, but together fur ever Amen!!