Sadly, a lot of people who wish to own a dog are hypersensitive to canine allergens. Fortunately, there are numerous hypo-allergenic dog breeds that tend to shed little to no hair, causing far fewer allergic reactions.
Top Non-shedding Breeds
1. Yorkshire Terrier. Yorkies are small dogs that are generally sociable and outgoing. They are alert and they make reliable watchdogs. The breed often sports a long elegant coat that, although may require constant brushing and grooming, tends to shed very little.
2. Dachshund. This breed has three types of coats: short-haired, wire-haired, and long-haired. While long-haired dachshunds are minimal shedders that usually require regular grooming, the wire-haired and short-haired types do not shed as much. The breed loves people, is intelligent, and can make a good watchdog.
3. Poodle. Because of the breed’s distinctively shiny dense coat that hardly ever sheds, Poodles are also ideal for allergic owners. Their curly or corded heavy coat, however, needs to be groomed on a regular basis. Poodles are loving, affectionate, and alert which makes them excellent watchdogs as well.
4. Shih Tzu. Although this small dog has a long glossy coat, Shih Tzus are usually regarded as a non-shedding breed. They, nevertheless, require daily brushing and grooming. The breed is highly energetic, and can make an excellent watchdog.
5. Miniature Schnauzer. This double-coated breed dons a wiry overcoat and a soft undercoat that rarely shed. Miniature Schnauzers require regular grooming, and because they tend to be very affectionate, the breed makes a wonderful household companion.
6. Boston Terrier. The breed sports a smooth, short coat that can be groomed easily. Boston Terriers are minimal shedders, and because they are generally quiet, they are good for apartment-dwellers. The breed loves people, but can be rather rambunctious at times.
7. Maltese. Maltese dogs have very long silky coats that shed little to no hair. They need to be brushed and groomed regularly which can become costly and time-consuming. However, Maltese are very intelligent, fearless, and highly excitable.
8. Havanese. This double-coated breed sports a shiny wavy coat that does not shed. They usually require daily grooming, and because Havanese dogs have a strong need to interact with people, they always yearn for human company. They are highly intelligent, friendly, and capable of bonding well with children.
9. West Highland Terrier. Westies are a double-coated breed that shed very little hair. While their straight overcoat is smooth and weather-resistant, their undercoat is short and soft. To prevent matting, their dense coat needs to be brushed every day. West Highland Terriers are highly energetic and can make good hunting companion dogs.
10. Bichon Frise. The breed has dense wavy hair that does not shed. Their thick fluffy coat requires daily brushing and regular grooming. Bichon Frise dogs are generally friendly, affectionate, and capable of relating with other household pets.