Facts About Chihuahua Shedding

file0001346666682-287

Here are some Facts About Chihuahua Shedding in case you are considering the breed for a pet and are concerned about possible allergy or housecleaning hassles. Because the Chihuahua is a miniature dog, most first-time dog owners and breeders will wonder if the breed actually sheds fur at all.

This is just one of many things a prospective owner should investigate about any breed before making a commitment. There are many ways to research various breeds, such as through the Internet, from books, or from animal experts themselves.

Facts About Chihuahua Shedding

The basic truth is that all breeds do shed, even if only a little, with the exception of breeds that are hairless. Dogs’ shedding power varies from heavy to light, and as for this Mexican cutie, it falls in the middle as a medium level shedder. Shedding also depends on which kind of Chihuahua: smooth coated or long coated ones have slight differences.

Chihuahuas shed all year long, but you will mostly find them shed more in spring and fall, with the spring being the heaviest shedding. These seasons are when their coat changes. But just because they shed doesn’t mean they will be a fur nuisance in the house. Due to their miniature size, they do not really shed as much hair as regular-sized or large dogs – good news for fur-allergic owners and family members, plus, cleaning efforts are reduced.

But there can be times when the Chihuahua sheds too much hair for you to clean up, and you feel like it’s really a hassle. Even though you really wanted to have a Chihuahua, you may not like the fact that they do shed. Because of that, here are some tips to minimize dog shedding and cleaning time.

• Groom them during the shedding seasons, particularly in the spring. This may not really stop or minimize the shedding, but it does help you minimize the amount of fur you need clean up inside the house. It also prevents the fur from getting into unwanted places such as the kitchen or your clothes.
  • Try using the Furminator, which is a special grooming tool that gathers dead hair and helps in reducing the shedding in your dog. It works for all breeds and coat types. They work effectively when you use them with special de-shedding shampoos that go along with the product, and are bound to lessen your worries on dog fur around the house.
  • You can choose from a variety of grooming products, which include undercoat rakes, combs, slicker brushes, and pin brushes to groom your dog.
  • Here are some tips in getting rid of dog fur from your furniture: try using vacuum to suck up the hair. Or you can use hair rollers with sticky tapes. There is also the expensive pet hair magnet if you really want to get rid of hair in your curtains.

As a conclusion to the Facts About Chihuahua Shedding, Chihuahuas really do shed fur, but not near as much as normal dogs with thick coats.

Most Chihuahua owners that I know really love the breed. What do you think of it and its shedding? Is its shedding more of a problem than other breeds? Share your thoughts below.

27 Responses to Facts About Chihuahua Shedding
  1. Heidi
    February 27, 2014 | 10:29 am

I love my little vinnie he is 15 weeks old had him for 8 weeks he gets on great with my female dog she is a King Charles cavalier of 12 yrs, he is still chewing but I keep on top of that and is good when told he is trained for number ones but seems to do no twos where he wants need to put him out the garden has much has possible he don’t like the cold lol ! His so comical and really couldn’t imagine life without him And just today his other ear is finally up

2. Melanie
    January 24, 2014 | 7:53 pm

I have two chis. Both short haired. I bathe them twice a month in the winter and once a month in the summer. I put flax seed oil with omegas, a tsp on top of their dry food. I don’t mix it, they just lap it up. They don’t shed as much since I’ve tried this. Usually you don’t bathe chis twice in a month but my vet said to do that in the winter
    And it with the oil has helped a lot”

3. clare
    January 19, 2014 | 9:54 pm

I have a mix-length chihuahua; her mom was a long hair, her father was a short hair.
    She sheds like crazy year round! I’ve tried Omega 3, Furminator brushing, and vacuuming to no avail……gave up and just living with it. Since she is 5 pounds there’s not much of her to shed…..

4. Gail Pet
    December 25, 2013 | 2:33 am

Black currant oil works wonders and is healthy for them as well. It is also works for people with thinning or losing hair. I can testify to the results!

• Debbie
      February 18, 2014 | 5:03 pm

Hmmmmm. Do you put it on them? Or is it a supplement ? Do you get it at the pet store or health food store?

• Sarah
      March 6, 2014 | 3:15 am

I have the same question as Debbie about the black current oil.

5. Diane hutchins
    December 19, 2013 | 8:17 pm

I have one Chihuahua, I am
    at my wits in with all the shedding. She has short hair but her hair is everywhere and its all year long.. What can I do? I am fed up…

• Gail Pet
      December 25, 2013 | 2:35 am

See my comment below on black currant oil

6. Shari smith
    October 3, 2013 | 4:47 pm

i have the most beloved long haired chihuahua, Lola. She has the best temperament, is very chill but so happy to see us. She is loyal and cuddly, smart and beautiful with a pink nose and green eyes. She sheds but I could not care less! I do not like to leave her alone and have thought about getting another for her company but worry she will be upset. At 5 1/2 years old she is used to all the attention. What do you think?

• Ksilva
      October 17, 2013 | 9:01 pm

Chihuahua’s do have a tendency to get jealous. You just would have to make sure that you give them both the same amount of attention. Due to the fact that you have a girl, this will greatly lessen the aggression. If you want to get another, it is best to get another Chihuahua. They tend to get along and gravitate towards other dogs that are the same breed as them. If you get another, she will most likely feel very motherly towards it. I’d say go for it!

7. Gigi
    August 29, 2013 | 12:29 pm

Just some additional advise…I have 2 chi’s…one is 15 and a short coat and the other is a “medium” coat and is 9. The short coat sheds much more than the other but I use the sticky tape lint roller on them every day to remove the loose hair…works wonders. I also have their doggie beds inside human pillow cases to be able to take them off for frequent laundering without ruining the beds, thus keeps the hair down as well. I also have special beds when they are on the couch…all these items are hair free thanks to the lint roller!….hope this helps!

8. daniela
    August 28, 2013 | 1:41 am

I am so happy I am gonna adopt a baby Chihuahua but I need some advice how to take care of it

9. Sheena
    August 4, 2013 | 10:10 am

I am gonna have a chihuahua as a present from a friend i barely know anything about this breed and i want to be a good owner any advice on how to care for it properly ?:)

10. joy
    June 21, 2013 | 5:59 pm

i have 3 year old chihuaha dog he bit shedding bit fur on his back it bit of bold on back thank let me kown all tell where i look on here for some pic

11. ara
    May 23, 2013 | 9:14 am

Hello, I adopted a black chiahuaha, a larger sized dog almost two months ago (it is now end of May) and he has started to shed. the floor is covered with black hair and it comes out all over everything, it is a fine hair that blows in any wind easily. I have never seen so much hair, and i brush him every day for 20 mnutes, give baths, everything. I didnt know they shed. I am hoping he does not have a vitamin deficiency. I had a pom before and she did not shed, she had a thick undercoat that could be combed out, but it did not shed all over. I feed the dog extremely well. Is this normal? I am considering having him shaved and letting it grow back, any responses? Ara

• Debbie
      February 18, 2014 | 5:00 pm

I thought about it too. Too much hair!!!!! I was going to talk to the groomer when I take my Yorkies in. I have 2 Yorkies. I love Chloe that is my chihuahua, but not used to all the hair. Y

12. Vicky
    May 20, 2013 | 8:15 am

I have a girl Chihuahua short coated and white and she is shedding like crazy. I am at a loss of what to do. She likes to sleep on my bed and it is not a pretty sight all those white hairs everywhere. My floors look like a snowfall…. Well, not really but she does shed a lot and it never seems to stop. What can I do?

• Debbie
      February 18, 2014 | 4:57 pm

Sounds like Chloe lol

13. Lynn
    May 14, 2013 | 1:26 am

I use the furminator shampoo, conditioner, comb and spray and my dog still sheds a lot. I also give her vitamins. Anything else I can try?? My husband is highly allergic to him but I will not give him away. Maybe my husband but not my little Luke.

Lynn

• Debbie
      February 18, 2014 | 4:56 pm

Shedd x. It is omega fish oil. I have a white chihuahua. She just started shedding really bad. I have been giving her this in her meals and a food supplement twice a week. She still sheds but not near as much. I was wondering about getting her shaved at the groomer but not sure what would become of her coracle hair. Better or worse? Do you know?

14. Patti
    March 14, 2013 | 11:57 pm

I have had 2 Chihuahuas. They shed a little bit, but not that much. I now have a yorkie, & she doesn’t shed hardly at all.

15. Louisa Estrada
    February 3, 2013 | 1:20 am

I have had a chihuahua for the past 4yrs and I’m beginning to notice she is shedding more than she has ever shedded. Can it be her diet as well? It does not matter how many times in a day we comb her out her shedding is way out of hand! What are some suggestions that might possibly help?

16. Cheryl
    November 19, 2012 | 1:25 pm

I have had 4 Chihuahuas, and out of the 2 that I now have, the white male sheds all the time. I vacuum and wash couch covers and bedding weekly, and bathe both of them every other week. I saved 2 of them from being euthanized, so I don’t really care about them shedding.

17. Wendy Porter
    July 2, 2012 | 4:38 am

I’m sure my Chihuahua sheds, but since the rest of my family is comprised of a Pomeranian and seven cats, I would be hard-pressed to tell you where. xD

As for what I think of the breed, well, this is my first time having a Chihuahua. I’ve met many that were friendly only with one person, or their immediate family, but mine loves everyone. She was a gift, and has brought a great deal of love and happiness into my life.

18. Linda Moore
    July 1, 2012 | 8:16 am

I have a white Chihuahua. She is a short coat, but her hair is a little bit coarser then a smooth coat and she sheds all the time and quite a lot, at that. If you are wearing black pants, and she jumps on your lap, look out! I bathe her about once a week and brush her almost every day. She is the first Chihuahua that I have owned that has shed this much. And I’ve owned several.

• Lynn Smith
      April 12, 2013 | 10:07 pm

I have 2 chihuahuas,one have short soft fur that shed very little and other one have short coarse fur but shed excessively and also have a problem with dry skin. I don’t know if that cause of the excessive shedding but I use oatmeal moisturizing shampoos olive oil and tea tree oil in addition to the Furmantor which seems to help some. Good luck.

• Cyndi Fritchen
      January 13, 2014 | 11:22 am

I have the same issue my Rose is 9 months old with white fur ? I tent to wear black a lot and was just wondering a solution. It’s winter here and she’s shedding up a storm . I’m brushing her daily now hopefully it helps she loves the brush..