Home Remedies

Good Home Remedies For Kennel Cough

Kennel cough is an illness that is airborne, meaning it can be easily caught by our canine friends if we are not careful.  People and cats are less likely to catch this, and with just a few good home remedies for kennel cough to apply to your dog, he or she will be free from kennel cough. Also, another important thing to do is to keep your dog away from others if he is infected with the illness, until he heals.

Home Remedies for Kennel Cough

Treating and curing this condition with home remedies for kennel cough is not really as hard as you think – you can even do this at home without spending too much money. It is pretty much like the common cold for humans so it is going to be easy for you to treat it. Here are a bunch of good home remedies for kennel cough:

• Probiotics – these supplements and foods have great nutritional value not just for humans but also for our four-legged friends. Their task is to wipe out bad bacteria in your pet’s immune system, making him feel better and more alive. Probiotics for dogs can come in supplement form. Also, antibiotics can be recommended by your vet as a medical prescription. In this case of prescription, make sure to wait for at least 2 hours after giving the antibiotic, before giving the probiotic medicine to your dog, because antibiotics and probiotics are as we know at war with each other.
  • Honey – this is another dog-friendly home remedy for kennel cough. It gives your pet a relief from the nasal discharge that comes with the kennel cough, and is a very sweet treat for your dog to enjoy. One tablespoon of honey twice a day should work for your dog and heal his kennel cough. Also, be sure to feed him raw honey, not ones with preservatives and artificial flavorings.
  • Cough syrup – as with humans, dogs also have a decongestant cough syrup that can heal their kennel cough. Good products may include Nature’s Way products (Sambucus and Umcka Cold Care). Also, make sure that it has a good flavor that your dog will love, to make him heal faster. One teaspoon of syrup three times a day (depending on your dog’s size and age) will do.
  • Cinnamon – this is another good food supplement for your dog to be healed of kennel cough. You can sprinkle cinnamon over your dog’s food or daily meals. Cinnamon has antiviral properties which can heal your dog faster.
  • Coconut Oil – as coconut products are being the fad these days when it comes to home remedies and natural healing, coconut oil is no exception, even for dogs. As Kennel cough is caused by the Bordetella virus, coco oil has a good formula for exterminating it, because it is also antiviral like cinnamon. You can either pour it down his bowl of food or have him directly get spoonfuls of it. Your dog will love the fragrant smell and aroma of coco oil. These home remedies for kennel cough do work so give them a try when the need arises.

Has this article been helpful? Please share the article with other dog owners.

1. Henny Fischer

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:43 am

I put 1tsp of cinnamon on my dogs food, did a great job on the kennel cough, but now he he has loose stool and poops 5-6 times a day all in small pills. Has even pooped in the house (which he never does) this has been going on for 5 days

2. Carole Heath

Jul 9, 2015 at 5:26 am

My Shih Tzu Jasper 14 years old has a tickly cough it comes and goes. But he never gets the problem when he is out walking. I am trying honey and lemon at the moment. I also have Robitussin in my bathroom cabinet i will give that a try also thanks Lisa and other comments.

3. september

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:57 pm

@trudi if you google benilyn it is available in canada and does contain codiene. Maybe before you bash cyndi you shoulf do research first

4. Sheri

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:54 am

One of my babies, a Pom is diabetic. What can I give her?
    (They were treated to a grooming and one has been coughing ever since)
    Can someone please suggest something? I can’t afford to take her to a vet right now

• andyroo

May 28, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Super late. In the future i suggest pet insurance.. 80 dollars down 20 a month to treat all your pets illnesses.

• Sean lewis

Jun 11, 2015 at 3:33 pm

What insurance is this exactly?

5. Celeste

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:55 pm

I used the coconut oil advice. I had some in my cupboard and thought it would be easier than honey. My one year old border collie was coughing every 30 seconds. He stopped coughing immediately after the coconut oil (1 teaspoon) and hasn’t coughed since (about an hour). I’ll give him some more in a couple of hours. He has a bit of a fever, but is moving around and eating, so just a mild case, although the cough sounded like he was choking. My other dog ate some as well and I know I don’t have to worry about it being bad for either of them. Thank you for reminding me about this remedy! I am glad we didn’t have to wait for the vet in the morning to make him comfortable.

6. KZ4ZZZ

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:58 pm

P.S. Diamond is going to the vet on Monday.. still coughing.. everyone talks about stopping the cough.. How long till the cough goes away ? And does the dog need pills or shots to help kick it ?