Good Home Remedies For Kennel Cough

file0001881624316

Kennel cough is an illness that is airborne, meaning it can be easily caught by our canine friends if we are not careful.  People and cats are less likely to catch this, and with just a few good home remedies for kennel cough to apply to your dog, he or she will be free from kennel cough. Also, another important thing to do is to keep your dog away from others if he is infected with the illness, until he heals.

Home Remedies for Kennel Cough

Treating and curing this condition with home remedies for kennel cough is not really as hard as you think – you can even do this at home without spending too much money. It is pretty much like the common cold for humans so it is going to be easy for you to treat it. Here are a bunch of good home remedies for kennel cough:

• Probiotics – these supplements and foods have great nutritional value not just for humans but also for our four-legged friends. Their task is to wipe out bad bacteria in your pet’s immune system, making him feel better and more alive. Probiotics for dogs can come in supplement form. Also, antibiotics can be recommended by your vet as a medical prescription. In this case of prescription, make sure to wait for at least 2 hours after giving the antibiotic, before giving the probiotic medicine to your dog, because antibiotics and probiotics are as we know at war with each other.
  • Honey – this is another dog-friendly home remedy for kennel cough. It gives your pet a relief from the nasal discharge that comes with the kennel cough, and is a very sweet treat for your dog to enjoy. One tablespoon of honey twice a day should work for your dog and heal his kennel cough. Also, be sure to feed him raw honey, not ones with preservatives and artificial flavorings.
  • Cough syrup – as with humans, dogs also have a decongestant cough syrup that can heal their kennel cough. Good products may include Nature’s Way products (Sambucus and Umcka Cold Care). Also, make sure that it has a good flavor that your dog will love, to make him heal faster. One teaspoon of syrup three times a day (depending on your dog’s size and age) will do.
  • Cinnamon – this is another good food supplement for your dog to be healed of kennel cough. You can sprinkle cinnamon over your dog’s food or daily meals. Cinnamon has antiviral properties which can heal your dog faster.
  • Coconut Oil – as coconut products are being the fad these days when it comes to home remedies and natural healing, coconut oil is no exception, even for dogs. As Kennel cough is caused by the Bordetella virus, coco oil has a good formula for exterminating it, because it is also antiviral like cinnamon. You can either pour it down his bowl of food or have him directly get spoonfuls of it. Your dog will love the fragrant smell and aroma of coco oil. These home remedies for kennel cough do work so give them a try when the need arises.

Has this article been helpful? Please share the article with other dog owners.

27 Responses to Good Home Remedies For Kennel Cough
  1. Sheri
    June 10, 2014 | 6:54 am

One of my babies, a Pom is diabetic. What can I give her?
    (They were treated to a grooming and one has been coughing ever since)
    Can someone please suggest something? I can’t afford to take her to a vet right now

2. […] period almost sounds right for KC. How lousy to have a cough after abdominal surgery, poor Ash! Good Home Remedies For Kennel Cough | The Dogington Post Kennel Cough Home Remedy – Natural Remedies for Kennel Cough 01 Kennel Cough – […]

3. natural cure for kennel cough | Kennel Cough
    February 14, 2014 | 3:33 pm

[…] Good Home Remedies For Kennel Cough | The Dogington Post http://dogingtonpost.com/good-home-remedies-for-kennel-cough/ Mar 27, 2013 … Cough Symptoms, Kennel Cough Treatment, Natural Remedies for Kennel …. Nine Natural Remedies for Kennel Cough Remedies for Kennel … […]

4. Celeste
    February 12, 2014 | 2:55 pm

I used the coconut oil advice. I had some in my cupboard and thought it would be easier than honey. My one year old border collie was coughing every 30 seconds. He stopped coughing immediately after the coconut oil (1 teaspoon) and hasn’t coughed since (about an hour). I’ll give him some more in a couple of hours. He has a bit of a fever, but is moving around and eating, so just a mild case, although the cough sounded like he was choking. My other dog ate some as well and I know I don’t have to worry about it being bad for either of them. Thank you for reminding me about this remedy! I am glad we didn’t have to wait for the vet in the morning to make him comfortable.

5. […] Good Home Remedies For Kennel Cough | The Dogington Post http://dogingtonpost.com/good-home-remedies-for-kennel-cough/ Mar 27, 2013 … People and cats are less likely to catch this, and with just a few good home remedies for kennel cough to apply to your dog, he or she will be … […]

6. […] Nine Natural Remedies for Kennel Cough Remedies for Kennel Cough – Whole Dog Journal Article Good Home Remedies For Kennel Cough | The Dogington Post __________________ Gouda 9/6/01 – 7/19/12 Sue – Mom to Kippah rescued […]

7. KZ4ZZZ
    December 14, 2013 | 8:58 pm

P.S. Diamond is going to the vet on Monday.. still coughing.. everyone talks about stopping the cough.. How long till the cough goes away ? And does the dog need pills or shots to help kick it ?

8. Deanna Fauser
    December 1, 2013 | 9:52 pm

I’d just like to know if it is ok to use Umcka cold & flu natural relief instead of just the cold formula? I have a 4 year old yellow lab (Dusty) who weighs 107lbs and has came down with kennel cough yesterday. We took him to get his vaccinations and must have been exposed there as there aren’t any other places he was except home with no other dogs around. I really hope you can let me know asap if this is ok or not to use.

With sincere thanks,
    Deanna Fauser

9. what is kennel cough
    November 7, 2013 | 12:56 pm

Superb blog in this article! Furthermore your website a reasonable amount right up quick! Exactly what hosting company have you been the application of? Am i allowed to buy your internet hyperlink to the sponsor? If only my website filled as rapidly when yours lol

10. [...] can ease sore throats and lessen coughing fits. Even honey can help alleviate coughing in dogs.  According to Dogington Post: “One tablespoon of honey twice a day should work for your dog and heal his kennel cough. [...]

• owen
      October 19, 2013 | 4:10 pm

i am looking after my sons dog who has had kennel cough for 4 days as they are at work and wanted me to keep an eye on her ,i read some home remedies after the vet didnt give any thing for her to take ,i have bought benilyn childrens medicine ,raw honey and probiotic suppliments after 3 days she is much much better and i would recommend these items to any one who has a dog with kennel cough the best £25 i have spent

11. [...] Cough Symptoms, Kennel Cough Treatment, Natural Remedies for Kennel Cough kennel cough 0 Comment Good Home Remedies For Kennel Cough | The Dogington Post http://dogingtonpost.com/good-home-remedies-for-kennel-cough/ Mar 27, 2013 … Cough Symptoms, [...]

12. Ree De Lacey
    September 10, 2013 | 6:58 am

Hi everyone, my dog Marley is a miniature Jack Russel, one & a half years old. He has recently caught the dreaded Kennel cough virus. I took him to his usual vet & she has given him Clavaseptin tablets 2 times daily, with Metacam oral susp to be given once a day. She also strongly advised me to buy & use junior Benylin to help lower his temperature & sooth his throat. We (Marley & me) are on day 5 of treatment with very little & slow improvement. It truly is heart breaking to watch my darling Marley suffering so badly, every time he gets excited. This is the very 1st time he’s ever been ill too. I have picked up a few useful suggestions from this site which I will try to ease Marley’s suffering. Thank you x

13. cures for kennel cough | Kennel Cough
    July 9, 2013 | 3:01 pm

[...] Cough Symptoms, Kennel Cough Treatment, Natural Remedies for Kennel Cough kennel cough 0 Comment Good Home Remedies For Kennel Cough | The Dogington Post http://dogingtonpost.com/good-home-remedies-for-kennel-cough/ Mar 27, 2013 … People and cats [...]

14. Dawn
    July 7, 2013 | 9:06 am

New 6 mon. old pup from the shelter we think was exposed. Is she too young to give honey too if she presents with symptoms? It has been 4 days so far, so hoping we got her out in time!

• KZ4ZZZ
      December 14, 2013 | 8:57 am

We just got our 7 month old Crested Power Puff “Diamond” from the county dog pound and she developed KC from the Doggie hospital used to get her spaded (air tube down the throat during the operation). We used raw unfiltered honey from the local health store. She weighs 7.5 lbs. we used 2x 1/4 teaspoons every two/three hours or so as needed and the cough stayed under control.. not stopped but 80% less frequent. 7 month old dog = 4 year old human. I had some too and it tasted great and not a dangerous medicine but a food product that’s good for you.

15. mike
    July 2, 2013 | 12:00 am

Just commenting on two responses that seemed to mis-read on Cough Syrup. If they would actually read it the article doesn’t say give human cough syrup. In fact it offered suggestions on natural products for dogs that relieve an/or help cough.

“dogs also have a decongestant cough syrup that can heal their kennel cough. Good products may include Nature’s Way products (Sambucus and Umcka Cold Care). Also, make sure that it has a good flavor that your dog will love, to make him heal faster. One teaspoon of syrup three times a day (depending on your dog’s size and age) will do.”

Learn to read the whole article rather than jumping to conclusions.

16. kennel cough home remedy | Kennel Cough
    June 28, 2013 | 6:40 pm

17. AllClassKennels
    June 19, 2013 | 7:56 pm

1tsp honey 1tsp lemon 3 drops 3% hydrogen peroxide mix with approx 300mls of warm water to melt honey, soak slice of bread and feed to dog! Wallah! Easier this way than to get them to drink it :)
    I agree with Cindi, human medication was not designed for animal use however works in a substantial amount of illnesses However, there are no dosage rates and certain medications frequently used in human cough medicine is NOT safe for dogs.
    For the sale of all please do not administer any drug without veterinary advice!!!

• Rowanlea
      July 2, 2013 | 8:51 pm

RobitussinDM for children works well for dogs with kennel cough, 1 tsp per 20 lbs of body weight. However, some vets would rather let them cough as it is better to get the phlegm out of the lungs. I’ll try the honey and lemon juice as an alternative.

18. Rochelle
    June 18, 2013 | 7:14 pm

I actually had my vet tell me about honey as a treatment for kennel cough and thought she was crazy but it actually worked very well and my dog enjoyed it a lot too :)

19. Carol
    April 15, 2013 | 2:54 pm

THANKS for the advice….It is good to know for future problems if they arise.
    I also have used HUMAN CREAM for a sprained muscle in my dog’s from leg called…VOLTAREN Emulgel…..used for muscle,joint and back pain…..
    I rubbed her shoulder muscle,down her leg, and wrapped her leg with a bandage WE WOULD USE if we sprained our ankle……rubbed it in the morning,put the bandage on…..keep her quiet during the day….and put a leash on her going up and down the stairs, to,control her possibly running or darting…causing further damage….took the bandage off at night when she slept. IT WORKED and she was back to her old self in a day or so.

20. Trudi
    March 27, 2013 | 10:15 am

CYNDI!, really? If your old enough to administer it, you can surely read, yes? I have given cough syrup before and also suggested by my vet, unlike a Yankee vet… into the pharmaceutical industry to make a quick buck, probably wouldn’t suggest it! As with a child, you have to be “smart” about it. And don’t you get OTC from a store and not a doctor? I have never heard of cough syrup in OTC w/ codeine. Hmm!

• Elvira
      July 30, 2013 | 4:03 pm

I haven’t seen one with codeine but many are laced with tylenol (acetaminophen)and are deadly to dogs.

21. cyndi
    March 27, 2013 | 9:01 am

Kennel Cough. Do you realize how many people will grab a human cough syrup from the medicine cabinet that might contain Codeine? Very bad suggestion! Alot of dog owners have no idea what can kill their dog?

• Lisa
      November 10, 2013 | 6:32 pm

Vets recommend childrens Robitussin DM 1 teaspoon for 20lb of dog. It did wonders for my Pug.