How Dogs React to Human Pregnancy

How Dogs React to Human Pregnancy

Do you know how dogs react to human pregnancy? Some dogs react whenever a member of a family is pregnant. This probably comes from the dog’s extraordinarily keen senses, almost like ESP for humans.

Pregnancy is no joke, especially for the women experiencing it. Certain mood swings and changes occur, both physically and emotionally. And at some point, dogs have good detection skills when it comes to sensing these changes. The level of sensitivity to these changes actually varies among the different breeds. Some breeds don’t seem to care about the pregnancy, while some others run about and have certain reactions to it.

Ever Notice How Dogs React To Human Pregnancy?

Some people believe that dogs have a sixth sense, but in reality, they just have better senses when it comes to body language and emotional changes in a person. The extraordinary senses that some dogs seem to possess may be due to the fact that they are indeed quite gifted in sensing these changes. Even emotional changes of people can be seen and detected by dogs.

Another thing is that they are also extraordinary at smelling things, such as odor changes due to the differences in a pregnant woman’s body chemistry, and many react to it.

How Dogs React to Human Pregnancy

Since dogs are capable of identifying these changes, some of them react to them, especially if their master happens to be the pregnant woman. Different postural behaviors can occur, and the dog might start acting weird towards his/her owner. Some dogs may even growl or be overprotective of their owner, and their moods might change. And other dogs may start following their master everywhere.

While these pregnancy stresses for dogs can occur, there are still ways to treat them. If the dog is already well-trained, dealing with its behavior is much easier. One way is to set up clear rules and boundaries around the house and wherever you take your dog. Try giving him some basic commands and help him focus when these situations occur. Once the owner has forcefully taken control of the situation, the dog will feel more relaxed and the tension should go away.

In some areas, there are programs by different organizations that focus on counseling families on treating their dogs that are experiencing this kind of pregnancy stress. The basic key to helping your dog out of this stress is providing him with good care and extra attention to his emotional needs. Dogs in this kind of situation need to be calmed down so they can avoid unwanted annoyance to the family. It is just a matter of preparing the dog for the new baby, and good planning should be established for times when emotions will be a fact of life. Most pregnant women themselves experience emotional stress, and it will be likely “rub off on” the dog. And this is why the dog needs to be properly trained so it can relax to make way for the new member of the family.

Having an idea of how dogs react to human pregnancy will help you when the happy event occurs in your family. You’ll know what to look out for, and can thus keep any problems from becoming serious.

Did you experience unusual dog behavior when there was a pregnancy in your family? Please share below.

73 Responses to How Dogs React to Human Pregnancy
  1. Tony
    July 24, 2014 | 4:59 pm

Hello all,
    We have a 8mth old Yorkiee…..and every time my wife goes to the bathroom or takes a shower…he pees on the Toilet, like right after my wife goes to the bathroom, he pees on the toilet…our dog has never done this before…EVER!!..LOL
    Could my wife be pregnant?????
    Thanks guys,

2. queda
    July 9, 2014 | 8:31 pm

Yes I think dogs can tell you are pregnant before you even have a clue

3. MiKayla
    June 19, 2014 | 12:48 am

What does actually get protective of their humans.?

4. Cassie
    June 9, 2014 | 7:21 pm

I’m about 37 weeks and my dogs have both been acting differently since I found out. My 7 year old chihuahua got really protective over me at first; she bit anyone who tried to touch me! She’s mellowed out in the last month or so, but she and my 2 year old dachshund both still stay by my side constantly. The other dog has been acting very mopey lately, and sometimes he puts the side of his head against my tummy and pouts like he heard something bad. Neither of them seem to know what to do, but they definitely know something’s up.

5. Andrea
    May 30, 2014 | 12:22 pm

My spouse and I think I might be pregnant. I took 2 tests a week ago and both came back negative yet all week our 2 year old Malamute has been acting strange around me. Sleeping in the bed with us (right beside me which she never does usually on the floor), staring at me constantly, head on my lap whenever I sit on a chair, curling up on the couch right beside and placing her head on my lap/tummy. She has always been a loving dog and would hardly listen to me yet has suddenly became “my dog” in the past week or so.
    She’s even been getting “jealous” when the cats come near me. When I was pregnant with my other 2 daughters I didn’t have a dog so I’m not sure if this is an early sign.

• Monique
      June 11, 2014 | 3:19 pm

I noticed over the last week my Jack Russel has been following me everywhere. He has been sleeping next to me and he even got aggressive with two different people who where trying to pet him. It was really strange because one was a child and he never barks at people. He also has been laying across my lap in the couch. I noticed my breast were tender and I was wondering if maybe I was pregnant. So I looked to see if maybe there was a correlation between my suspesiouns and his behavior. I think I need to go take a pregnancy test!

6. Gabi Radoi
    May 18, 2014 | 9:10 am

My 4 years old dog, that was always friendly with other dogs and ok with humans, has started acting out, in my first 4 weeks of pregnancy, he started growling at every dog he saw, at every stranger that came closer than 2 feet from me, I was so surprised, I could not understand, until I have searched the web, and apparently I am not the only one in this situation, because he is such a wonderful dog usually I just hope he will relax after the child is born, I am 5 months pregnant, and for the first 3 he was more anxious, maybe because I was very stressed.
    He knew I was pregnant 3 weeks before I did!

7. Tara
    May 1, 2014 | 1:02 am

Can someone help me, my dog who is almost 2 is lactating but definitely not pregnant, I however am ten weeks today… Could the a’s be why? She is also acting very strange, she is so stuck up my butt now, she lays in my arms when I sleep like a stuffed animal… On top of that she just seems overall depressed and different… Please is you know why this is happening email me Rainbowchasin1@gmail. Com

8. Jenni L
    March 16, 2014 | 1:24 pm

This is happening to me! I did 2 pregnancy tests 2weeks ago and they were both negative. I noticed my 6month old staffie bitch started to behave very oddly around me about a week ago, wont listen or look at me only follows my boyfriend around. She has completely gone off me and will only treat my boyfriend as her owner now. So i found out today i was 3 weeks pregnant so i definitely think she knew before I did. I feel that she might think she will get replaced as I am her “human” mother. She just looks so sad all the time and I want to make her nothing but happy :( x

• melissa
      May 4, 2014 | 11:59 pm

don’t want to be pregnant but cant use any contriceptions bad reactions to them all, these last few weeks my staffie (9ys old) has been acting very weird around me she sulky wants nothing to do with me she always looks sad she’s been sleeping on my side of the room something shes never done feeling scared end of the month will tell :(

9. Kelsey
    February 23, 2014 | 5:16 pm

Can a puppy tell if you are lactating? I just got a new puppy and she keeps scratching at my boobs and sniffing them, I’m not even sure I am pregnant?
    Help!!!!

10. Andrea
    February 17, 2014 | 5:01 am

Hello everybody

We are five months pregnant with our first child and of course very exited, we have a mixed collie named daisy she is 4 years old , since last month daisy start acting weird around the house so my husband build her a very comfortable house in our back yard, at the begging she really enjoy it until about 2 week ago when something change when we start getting baby staff around the house , we live in canada so during nighttime we bring daisy inside due to the low temperatures , the first night she popped inside her kennel, so we thought maybe she is sick and took her to the vet , nothing, after that she doesn’t get her eyes out of me she follows me all around the house , when is bed time she starts crying so we can’t sleep well and something even vomiting we have take her so several doctor and all say the same she is a healthy dog she is just jealous, what can we do ?? We need to sleep at night my husband and I get up very early for work and this is not healthy for nobody in our home , we love daisy very much but we are very concern that all this behavior may get or turn aggressive when out baby is born.

• Leslie
      May 21, 2014 | 2:05 am

My dog is acting the same, but we can see is the changes of pregnancy and his protectiveness of me. He wants to be next to my belly all the time and it’s obviously upsetting to him when he’s not allowed near my belly. We have several dogs and were fostering a puppy, the puppy would jump on me, and my dog would “protect” me. Barely liked my boyfriend getting near me. It’s annoying, but I see it’s his nature. I don’t think that it’s dangerous to the baby, considering everything has to do with introducing a new family member to the whole family. If you introduce your dog properly to a new family member there should be no problem. Everything lies in your hands. You cannot blame Daisy for acting the way she is acting, because she’s not doing anything wrong, she’s telling you there is a problem, maybe she feels left out, worried, overly stressed, you guys just need training. Good luck!

11. Nickel
    February 12, 2014 | 2:13 am

Me and my husband own 2 huskies and our female never has been the type to lay in bed with us ever at all never not even 1 time has she slept in the bed and this week we’ve been trying to conceive and the last 2 nights she has been sleeping in the bed with us thru the entire night I find this very strange like I said she never stays in the bed literally as soon as we put her on the bed she jumps off until the last couple of nights but we’ve not been trying to conceive this week I’m not sure if that means anything but I just think it’s strange if anyone else thinks she could know already please give me your insite! Thank you!!!!!

12. Suzee
    February 6, 2014 | 5:31 pm

I am 8 weeks pregnant- for about a month (and still going!) my male dog has been constantly laying on me or just staring at me- sometimes he will bark (in a playful manner) at me and jump around, like he needs to go outside but then I open the door, he stands there just looking at me.. Like I’m supposed to know what he wants. I even see if he wants a treat but he just sets it down.
    I think its just him wanting more attention because he knows there will be another holy terror running around soon.

13. Jessy
    January 18, 2014 | 7:37 pm

Our awesome German Shepherd, Baron, has been following me around for weeks..! I just found out yesterday I am 8 weeks pregnant, with my very first.. I thought the dog was just being super annoying, I had no idea he could be so empathic!

• Sylvia
      June 5, 2014 | 12:09 pm

My 3 year old GSD is doing the same. I’m only 6 weeks in and she’s been no more than two feet away (if I’m home and wake) for the last 2 weeks. Our Rotti is sticking close too but no where near as close as your GSD. I’m glad they seem to be onboard with the whole baby thing. My husband and I weren’t trying and the dog excepted it way fast than I did.

14. Jenna
    January 12, 2014 | 12:13 am

Now she’s started eating my underwear. Harrumph. :o/

15. Jenna
    January 7, 2014 | 11:22 am

I have a 7 year old female chow mix, a 12 year old female beagle mix AND a 14 year old shepherd mix (all spayed) and am now 6 months pregnant. They are all (usually) well behaved, well trained dogs. Husband says the youngest has known, but now she won’t eat, she’s clingy sometimes, and stand offish at others. He’s always said that we’re symbiont beings (meaning that whatever I feel, the 7 year old pup feels) so after reading all of these testimonials I’m sure it’s because I’m pregnant. I’m assuming those of you with female dogs experiencing false pregnancies are unaltered (un spayed?). I guess my next question for the inter web is “how long can my dog go without eating?”

16. Dawn
    January 5, 2014 | 2:54 am

I was looking for information on what might possibly make my 8 month old male pit bull terrier keep trying to hump me. The more i read, the more im realizing hes doing. Any input would be great! It started with him constantly sniffing me, which turned into following me. I cant ever step back. because hes right behind me. If i dont let him come in the bathroom with me he sits at the door whining & scratching. He has never acted this way before. Today is something new, now he is trying to hump. He came to me like he wanted to cuddle, so I put him in my lap(he still thinks he’s small enough for that) & he started sniffing my chest. He immediately jumped down & started sniffing my legs & feet. Then he started humping the side of the chair I was sitting in & slobbering all over my arm. I tell him leave it & put his front paws back on the floor, but its not working. Every few minutes he gets up off the floor, comes back & does this over & over again. I know he is very tuned into scents. My bf has diabetes & the dog will bark at him constantly if his sugar is too high, but he never tries to hump anyone else. I thought he was just going crazy. We have been trying to have a baby together for yrs. Unless my dog just completely lost his mind, I don’t know what else it could

• Dawn
      January 5, 2014 | 3:07 am

Be! Is my dog going crazy?!? He has never done this to my daughter, her friends or my friends. And any noise he hears in the house he runs to stand next to me.

17. Ben
    January 1, 2014 | 10:23 pm

Thanks for all of this great information. My wife and I have a 7 year old pug and a 6 year old lab. My wife is currently 36 weeks pregnant. From the very beginning of the pregnancy the pug has been doing lots of the things I’ve read about such as pulling panties out of the hamper and paying her more attention than me which used to be unusual. We both immediately thought the pug knew she was pregnant based on her new behaviors. The reason I started looking for this information was because for the past couple weeks she has become incredibly “clingy” to both of us and acting sort of depressed as well. She has been eating less food, sleeping more, and just acting sad a little. We made a vet appt to make sure she is okay but I wanted to see if other people noticed changes in their pets as well before we talk to the vet. I’m sure she is fine and I think she knows shortly she won’t be the baby of the house anymore. She has been laying on my wife’s belly everyday and I think she knows the time is almost here.

18. Jennifer
    December 31, 2013 | 2:16 pm

I am 22 weeks pregnant, and for the past two weeks…our german shephard mix has been attacking our elderly pitbull mix. Nothing triggers it. He’ll be asleep and she’ll just go up to him and start growling and barking. She has broken skin on him multiple times now and its getting more and more severe each time. He wont fight back other than just pushing her off because he knows better. However, when she is not attacking him, they get along perfectly just like normal.

She has ONLY done this when I am around (except for one time) Often times when I am laying in bed and move just to readjust, she goes at him.

She is not currently spayed, but we are taking her on Friday..so hopefully this helps. Has anyone else had this problem?

19. M
    December 26, 2013 | 6:12 pm

Hi, my partner is a few weeks pregnant (we are not sure how long exactly but could be around 6 or 7 weeks, perhaps 9) and in the last week (it’s dec 27th now) the pointer dog we’ve had for 6.5 years has all of a sudden been panting like crazy at night, leaving rivers worth of saliva on the floor where she normally sleeps and most worrying of all has wrecked 2 internal doors and the architrave (door frame) around the door.

She seems to want to sleep in our room at night also in the last week and only now is on the bed sleeping up around my partner between or legs on top of the quilt. We’re convinced that it’s a possibility she senses it but the destructive behaviour has us baffled and also a little annoyed given the damage that she is doing. This damage has never happened in the 6.5 years we’ve had her. A vet checked her and gave a physical all clear last week. Am utterly puzzled.

When she comes down to the bed she is very content and I noticed this evening that the pointer dog was getting anxious (whining) when I was in the room that the dog sleeps in and my partner was down in the bedroom. I let the dog down to the bedroom and she is now sleeping between her legs like I mention above.

20. Brandi
    November 26, 2013 | 2:46 pm

I have a question I was walking back home yesterday and a dog sniffed around my stomach but I don’t kno if I’m pregnant yet I find out in a couple of days if I am or not I’m waiting for a blood test to come back if the dog sniffed around my stomach could that mean I’m pregnant ?

21. Stacey
    November 7, 2013 | 2:52 am

My sister is 17 weeks pregnant, Her dog is starting to act out, running out the door and attacking other dogs. One day her husband was trying to catch the dog for 45 minutes while the dog attacked 3 dogs. Please someone help I’m afraid the dog might end up hurting another dog or someone in the family. She also has a 3 year old who plays with the dog all the time. she is not mean to anyone just other animals, this has been going on for about two weeks.

-Stacey

22. Sharon
    November 4, 2013 | 6:20 pm

Im38 weeks pregnant. I brought my male pup home on valentines day. Which is also the day I conceived. For the first few days it was normal doggy stuff. Then I noticed he was always up my butt. He won’t sleep unless he is next to me. He follows me to the shower and bathroom. He is always by my side he is also very protective of me. He kisses my belly and loves to lay his head on it. As my due day comes closer I have noticed the dog loves to be in the nursery and he drops his toys over the side of the couch and into the pack and play. He also sniffs the baby’s toys swing ect. Sometimes it is cute others not so much! He definitely knows about the pregnancy!

23. Clare
    November 3, 2013 | 12:34 am

My name is Clare, I’m a mother of two children and I have a question about my dogs behaviour.
    I have a 20month old Siberian husky who has been acting quite strange lately. she has been carrying around stuffed toys treating them as her own eg. Licking them, sniffing them, leaving them in her bed with her as well as trying to give them food.
    I have called a animal behaviorist and he said she is going through a ‘phantom pregnancy’
    He also told me that because these dogs are usually in packs, when one falls pregnant in the pack the rest tend to start nursing such as an aunty etc,

My question is, could it be possible my dog is acting this way cause I could be pregnant??

24. Kimmy
    November 2, 2013 | 8:36 pm

We have a 2.5 year old female black lab. I am 27 weeks pregnant. In the last month she has started what seemed to be a very frustrating habit of taking the undies of mine and my girls’ outside and chewing them up. She has a doggy door, so this is something is was getting away with either at night or while we were are not home. It never dawned on me that this new “habit” could be related to my pregnancy. My husband suggested that maybe she is realizing my pregnancy and responding by finding female scented items and taking charge over them…cleaning them out of the house. Interesting! It does feel better knowing that this “habit” may not be a habit after all, but rather the dog’s natural instinct/reaction to pregnancy. At least I can hope that it will stop once I deliver :)

25. Allison
    November 1, 2013 | 11:55 am

He has also grown quite MORE protective over myself and the house. Which doesn’t bother me because I feel safe ((:
    I wonder when he lays with me can he hear the baby moving or feel of kicking or its heartbeat. I know they can smell the difference, but I wish I knew does he know whats in there.

26. Allison
    November 1, 2013 | 11:53 am

Im 23 years old & I am 19 weeks and 5 days. I will be 20 weeks (( 5 months )) pregnant on this Monday (( Nov. 4th ))
    I have had my pit bull / american bulldog Boss since he was born. (( I knew the mothers owner ))
    He will be 5 years this Christmas.
    He has always been such a sweet sweet boy. He’s my best friend, and my boyfriends as well. We have been together since before I got the dog.
    Since we found out we ate expecting, Boss does nothing but love me even more. Which o never thought possible lol.
    He cuddles me more and follows me around more than usual. Even if its just room to room. If o go to the bathroom he lays on the floor lmao I think its cute.
    I’m starting to show more and I feel like the farther along I get the more he notices. He’s starting to rest his head on my belly a lot. I know he’s noticed how much I lay around now. At the beginning I was very I’ll, and he laid with me for days. He was and is Always there to comfort me, but he has always been a big baby.
    At first o was worried he would feel left out or like there would be competition for my attention or love since he has always been MY baby. But I feel that my baby and.him will be best friends for the rest of his life. He is just so loving And caring towards me And my belly lol.

27. Janet
    October 21, 2013 | 5:31 pm

Well I have no clue whether I am pregnant or not but I have noticed the family dog seems to follow me around and sit in me protectively. He even growled at my cousin for poking me.

28. Lisa Gaskell
    October 20, 2013 | 3:48 pm

Im 20 weeks pregnant my 3 year old patterdale has jusr recently started sniffing my arms anx want to hump them as anyone else had this problem.

29. Kendra Alaniz
    September 26, 2013 | 1:13 am

Omc! Thanks for the information! Now I know why my baby has been acting so weird! She has my symptoms of sleeping all day and not playing with my other dog. And she is only a year old! She follows me around everywhere more than usual. My boyfriend told me she was crying and howling for me when I got out the truck for a little bit. And its not because she is scared of my boyfriend. Because we got her together and she knows us both. She always cuddles by my belly.and doeant try to jump in my arms like she use to. Well that is my story for now. Hopefully she doesn’t have a false pregnancy. Cause I will freak out! Because she is my first baby :) ♥ oh! I’m 11weeks.and also she has been behaving like a good dog. I think because she doesn’t want to put a lot of stress on me. Butt maybe I’m just crazy :)

30. Pat
    September 18, 2013 | 9:54 am

I have two dogs one has become really cuddly and my shadow the other one has decided not to listen and become a ‘bad dog’ when it comes to me giving a command to him, The one is two and was well behaved until i became pregnant, any advice?

31. Amber
    August 13, 2013 | 11:53 am

I am 39 weeks pregnant and have a 8 year old siberian husky. She lives outside because she gets too hot inside. She has to be kept on a leash during the day because she will run away and is in a kennel at night. The last couple days she has been getting out of her kennel and when she got out before she runs off. Well these times she lays right in front of our front door and will walk right in the house when we open the door. She normally will run as soon as she sees someone because she does not want to be caught. I think she wants to be with me and watch over me because Im getting close to having my baby. It is weird but neat at the same time.

32. Strange one - my dog won't leave me alone
    August 13, 2013 | 7:30 am

[...] Its a well known strange occurance dogs are funny creatures =) How Dogs React to Human Pregnancy | The Dogington Post Reply With Quote « Think I posted this in wrong place | – [...]

33. Jenny Banfield
    August 8, 2013 | 9:34 am

Hi everyone :) im 34 weeks pregnant with a 16month old golden retriever. He is super soft dog and never been aggressive. He has been the calmest puppy and so well behaved. Never been to bothered by people or other dogs, plays nicely but never that excitable. In the last month he has started barking a lot more, when people knock on the door which is just normal for most dogs I think but now he is doing it to people when we are in the park, not everyone but the odd person he doesnt seem to trust. Do you think its just his age and he is changing behaviour or is he getting protective of me?

34. http://playntradeidahofalls.com/
    August 6, 2013 | 8:10 pm

Thank you for the good writeup. It actually was once a leisure account it.
    Glance advanced to far added agreeable from you!
    By the way, how could we keep in touch?

35. claudia
    August 6, 2013 | 4:25 am

I’m 6 weeks and we have a 3 yr old jack Russell. He’s always followed me everywhere and lays on our bed during the day with me. His behaviour is the same, apart from when I’m being sick he growls at my partner and won’t let him near me. He’s a very hyper dog, and now seems to be a lot calmer, and he won’t jump at me so much…. But he still walks all over me to lay on my pillow.
    We are now getting a jack Russell bitch, about 9/10 weeks old. He loves her, and I’m sure they’ll both do a great job keeping the baby safe and happy! I love my dog and I’m making sure he gets his attention and all the love he needs and wants!

36. Jen
    July 12, 2013 | 6:14 pm

I’m 21 weeks pregnant, my 2,5 year old frenchie seems to start having symptoms
    of false pregnancy. I’m quite sure it must be because she senses my pregnancy. I’ve experienced changes
    lately myself since my belly has finally started to grow getting me convinced there really is some dude growing inside of me. This must be noticable also in my behavior (and scent, who knows?) but for sure somehow my both frenchie girls sense it. The young one has also started to guard and show more aggressive behavior towards other (not familiar) dogs, she’s never ever done that! Her character is quite the opposite. Still she doesn’t do any harm, but by staring and attacking (without barking or physical contact) she makes sure well beforehand nobody comes even close. She also has to follow me all the time, everywhere, even to the toilet. And both girls have become even more affecionate than usual, they always come lay next to me, touching contact, one on each side. In general they behave extremely well and listen commands so all this behavior is quite adorable to me. Love them to bits, can’t wait to see how they’ll react to the baby. <3

37. Molly
    July 11, 2013 | 11:02 pm

I’m 6 months pregnant and we have 2 male labs, lately I ha ve noticed that our older lab is showing an excessive amount of dominance over the other dog. Although his dominance is not mean it’s more playful like he’s instigating playful fights and placing his head on the other ones back (like what they do before they hump) do you think this is a sign that the dogs sense the pregnancy?

38. Mario
    July 10, 2013 | 9:41 am

My wife is six month pregnant. And although my dog was already a pain with his barking. I noticed now he has been over protective with my wife, especially at night when we are sleeping. Example when are lab comes into the room my dog just goes crazy growling barking. He even does it to me now if i get up to use the restroom. I didn’t know what his story was until i read this..

39. Sue
    June 26, 2013 | 2:07 am

Hi I am about 12 weeks pregnant over the last few months our 3 year old Wiemaraner has
    Been aggressive with some other dogs. He never does it when I am not their and really is the softest family pet. It just occurred to me that maybe he is being protective. I do get nervous around other dogs maybe he can sense this? Has anyone else experienced this?
    Thanks Sue

40. Jessica Grizzard
    June 23, 2013 | 4:55 am

With my first pregnancy my pit mix Simba slept with me every night and didn’t like anyone coming near me. My son is now 14 months and me and his father just got married almost a month ago and I’m pregnant again . Now Simba won’t even let my husband kiss me with him growling at him and Simba was my husbands long before i knew him

41. Hayley
    June 22, 2013 | 9:12 pm

Well my fiancee’s yorkipoo who is 7 years old has been avoiding me since before I found out I was pregnant I am currently 7 weeks along and he refuses to let me take him outside. When I do get him out he refuses to pee and or poop for 30 minutes to an hour and then when we get inside he then goes to the bath room, but it is only me he does that too. My fiancée can take him out with out any problems and the dog never goes inside when he is home. Is it me or does the dog hate me now since he never did this until I became pregnant. And is this normal for some dogs to rebel against the pregnancy? -Hayley

42. Matt hallam
    June 19, 2013 | 5:57 pm

Me and me wife have a staffy hu since we have found out my wife is pregnant wont go to sleep in his bed and just wines all nite if we do get him in his cages until we let him out so he can sleep on our bed. Any1 else had this?

43. jj
    June 17, 2013 | 6:06 pm

When I first became pregnant, before i had any idea my dog started to chew things while we were at work. Came home from work one day and she had destroyed some of our condoms so my husband hid the rest behind things on a shelf above the bed. Came home for lunch the next day….she found them and chewed them….The next day I couldn’t go home for.lunch but my husband did and sent me a picture….the dog had gotten into my tampons and opened them all and chewed them….I truly believe she knew we were not going to need them for a while!

44. chelsea
    June 15, 2013 | 3:44 pm

I think some dogs can tell/sense pregnancy. I’m now seven months pregnant & my mother has a tot hihuaha and hes never ‘hated’ me but is severely attatched to my mother and NEVER often does he interact with anyone besides her. BeforeI even was aware that I was pregnant he was actig weird and a lot more affectionate toward me. I tjought it was odd but didn’t think much of it. He still continues to lay right next to my stomache where his side is against it. The baby kicks everytime chewy lays on it , its strange but adorable.

45. Rachel
    June 14, 2013 | 11:11 am

Hi, I’m 29 weeks pregnant and have a 2yr old patterdale terrier male, he’s a hunting dog and more of a mans dog and wouldn’t bother with me. In my early stages if pregnancy he would do his business and really miss behave for me but in the last 2weeks he has followed me everywhere and hardly bothers with my partner (his master) he even creeps up n rests his head on my bump when I’m napping :) it’s like he’s a completely different dog!!! And to top it off my baby girl moves more while he’s cuddling in, hopefully it’s the sign of a great bond forming :)

46. Hubby
    June 3, 2013 | 9:09 am

My wife is in her 34th week and for the past 2-3 weeks our 6 year old golden doodle has been following me everywhere, not my wife. He’s been hyper vigilent to make sure he knows where I am at all times. Even while he’s driinking he’s looking for me out of the corner of his eye. Very bizarre and somewhat annoying honestly. He’s very sweet so I don’t expect any issues.

47. Jus
    June 1, 2013 | 10:05 pm

I had a different response from my lab mix with my first and second pregnancies. My first pregnancy, the dog stayed away from me and stared at me. I did not know I was pregnant when her behavior towards me changed. She was suspect of me and when I took her out in the yard to play she would walk over to the far end of the yard (.5 acre) and just stare at me. I mean not move an inch, just stare. I’d throw the ball, and nothing. A few days later I found out I was pregnant. In my third and seventh month of pregnancy, the dog jumped up and hit me in my belly. I kept the dog, thinking it was not intentional. By My second pregnancy, the same dog started running out of the house early morning and walking around the neighborhood on her own. I used to have to drive around looking for her. The last straw was her circling around my then one year old daughter when she was sleeping in her playpen, in a threatening manner. I just gave in to my fears that the dog was too confrontational and insecure within our growing family, and we gave her up to a single male family member of ours whom resides on a farm. She now has no kids to compete with and seems happier.

48. Kirsten
    May 22, 2013 | 5:20 am

I am 19 weeks pregnant and we have just had our young golden retriever to the vet today, after displaying nesting behaviour and many of indicators of a bitch who is about to whelp (including a drop in temperature). It seems that she is having a false pregnancy! Given our girl is just 12 months old and this was her first ever season (thus no experience with pups), I can’t help but wonder if she has responded to my pregnancy. Very strange!

49. Nicole
    May 7, 2013 | 11:54 am

Yes, when my fiance and I got our puppy she was just 8 weeks old. This was in October of last year, we got pregnant in November and found out in December. By this time, Paris, our puppy’s name, was 3 months approaching four months, and she just would howl if I left her, and followed me around the house. Now she’s 8 months, and is a medium sized dog, and wherever I go, whether it’s to the bathroom, to change clothes, to take a shower, to cook in the kitchen I look either to my left or right, and she’s there. Just staring at me. I have never experienced anything like this, as this is our first child. And at first, like many of you, it was getting on my nerves, but as time went on I love the attention, and puppy kisses I get all day everyday. And yes, she wants to lay underneath me at all times, on top of my belly, and kisses it whenever she gets a chance. Im going to try that article of clothing leaving it by the baby, and bringing it home for her to sniff and get used to.. hope it works.

50. GINNY
    April 23, 2013 | 5:15 pm

HELLO I HAVE A 3 YR. OLD LABRADOR & HE IS ALWAYS BEEN REALLY CLOSE TO ME.. HE IS VERY WELL TRAINED & STAYS INSIDE & SLEEPS N OUR ROOM. HE IS GOOD WITH MY 2 CHILDREN.. (4 YR OLD & 7 YR OLD) I FOUND OUT I WAS PREGNANT A WEEK AGO, IM ONLY 6 WEEKS & FOR THE PAST FEW WEEKS MY DOG ” CHEVY” HAS BEEN DRIVING ME CRAZY… HE FOLLOWS ME ALL OVER THE PLACE.. HE WOULD ALREADY DO THAT. BUT NOW HE IS REALLY HYPER TO BE AROUND ME & HE IS CONSTANTLY SNIFFING ME ALL OVER EVERY CHANCE HE GETS.. HE WANTS TO SIT ON MY LAP ALL THE TIME… I HAVE EVEN NOTICED AT NIGHT AS WE ARE GOING TO BED HE PLOTS HIMSELF RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE DOOR, BLOCKING THE DOORWAY.. IF HE IS NOT THERE HE LAYS AT MY SIDE OF THE BED… I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THEY SOMEHOW KNEW OR COULD FEEL THAT I WAS PREGNANT, SO I LOOKED IT UP AND IT BROUGHT ME HERE… SO HERE IS MY STORY.. THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INFO!!!!

51. Sara
    April 8, 2013 | 10:35 pm

We have 2 male dogs; an american staffordshire terrier & a beagle/greyhound mix. Both have been great throughout the pregnancy. They have calmed down quite a bit, have stopped jumping up on me when excited almost immediately after we found our we were expecting. They are always snuggling with me, especially rating their heads on my bump. Our beagle/greyhound likes to follow me everywhere and keep an eye on me, and they both move their heads and fall asleep when the baby is kicking.

52. cara
    March 18, 2013 | 10:41 am

My dog too is going through a false pregnant and I am almost 6 weeks. at first she just started staying by my side 24/7. Now she’s extremely protective and emotional.

• Dot Dot
      September 16, 2013 | 10:37 pm

Thats How i feel i feel like i’m not pregnant, I’m still not sure

53. Mara
    March 13, 2013 | 12:57 pm

I believe that dogs sense more things then we do… dogs can sense if a person has cancer.. so why wouldn’t they be able to sense a pregnancy… my Italian Greyhound and was 6 months at the time…he is a male neutered… i got him in July 2012 his birthday is March 10.. i became pregnant in Aug.. now I’m 8 months n he follows me around… n sleeps with me… usually he is all over my boyfriend but he seem to keep his little eyes on me… he has calmed down a lot since we moved n probably because i am getting closer to my due date which is May 1 … i have also realized that his eating habits have changed a little… n he is being such a good boy… he is now 1.. i don’t mind that he follows me and wants to keep n eye on me… i think it’s sweet.. :0)

54. Mara
    March 13, 2013 | 12:35 pm

Yes my dog is an Italian Greyhound n he was only a couple months when i became pregnant… he started sleeping on my tummy and kissing my stomach

55. Shaunna
    January 28, 2013 | 9:41 am

My dog Bronx is driving me crazy!! I am only in my fifth week of pregnancy and he is constantly smelling me and following me everywhere I go. He is closer to my fiancee than he is to me but my fiancee is no longer a factor. I love him but he is driving me crazy

• Dot Dot
      September 16, 2013 | 10:35 pm

ME too I still don’t know if I’m pregnant but My friends dog hated me.Like a few weeks ago I moved in with her her Chiwawa would runs off when i call him or would bark at me,Her other dog on the other hand is so calm and normal. I left for a few days to visit my boyfriend, when i came back her hateful dog jump on me and would follow me everywhere to the bathroom my room where he never goes and he even fell asleep with me he is always sniffing me and licking me, Her calmer dog is always look confused the day i came back and sniffed me the next day he’s all in my face, he sniffs me and is over protects me from the littlest things like Mosquitoes (he stood over me snapping at them so they wouldn’t bit me). They both lay on my lap and hate when i’m far from them.They never acted like this before My friend gets and her husband gets so jealous of it they think i give them treats but i don’t. I hope it’s not just me but Does this happen for to other women who felt they were pregnant

ps.
      I only have some symptoms like:
      weird discharge,
      light cramping in my pelvic area,
      Always sleepy (I’m not a sleepy person),
      and lower back aches.

• DeBorah Peeler
        October 6, 2013 | 5:28 pm

Your pregnant.

• Bolliana
          November 9, 2013 | 2:46 am

Me and my boyfriend tried conceiving on 23-24 October two weeks ago and i tried testing it came out negative but on the 6 November i got light bleeding brown and bright red and yesterday 8 November bleeding became a bit darker but still its not my normal bleeding. please help me!!11

• moody pregnat woman with dog!
            March 2, 2014 | 4:54 pm

Boliana are you a dog? go to your doctor to ask silly questions about your fertility, people here are not doctors and we are discussing dog behaviors when owners become pregnant.

56. Nichole
    January 5, 2013 | 1:11 am

Our female dog had all the symptoms of pregnancy when I was pregnant. We took her to the vet and she had a false pregnancy…. So weird! The vet was so shocked.

57. Gwendolyn
    December 24, 2012 | 9:06 pm

My son fiancei is 8weeks our 4yr old Chiwawa mixed cant stand her every sence she’s gotten pregnant. He barks growls and trys to bite her then he sits on her and dont want her to move . Ali is not an aggressive dog he’s been neutered since he was a puppy

58. trish
    December 20, 2012 | 9:34 pm

Yeah…its the weirdest thing. My female dog has started lactating now that I’m 15 weeks pregnant. I have been searching the internet to see if any others have had this experience but haven’t found a thing. Its just hard for me to believe its purely a coincidence that she’s having a false pregnancy when I’m pregnant and she’s never done this before despite having doggie periods many times before. She hasn’t had contact w a male dog so I’m wondering if she’s picking up my hormones or having a sympathy pregnancy…? So weird…

• Brittany
      May 1, 2013 | 7:52 pm

I’m five weeks pregnant (counting from my last period) and my 3 year old female mastiff is going through her first false pregnancy (lactating and humping, although I’m not sure the latter is part of it) and has been going through it since a few days ago right before I found out I was pregnant! I was just googling this “coincidence” when I found your post and I’m so happy to hear someone else is going through the same ordeal!

• Carla
        June 24, 2013 | 6:29 pm

I am 19 weeks pregnant and my beagle has a false pregnancy as well. I was just wondering the same, if its a coincidence or if she feels sympathy for my own pregnancy. So weird!

• Stacie
      October 16, 2013 | 2:15 pm

Trish, omg that’s just crazy!! My 5 year old female boston terrier just started lactating today! I’m 30 weeks pregnant! She hasn’t had contact with a male dog either! She has urinated once in the babies new nursery, and she’s never gone in the house ever! I’ve been looking online all day and this is the first thing I’ve found about this! Thanks for your post. I do believe its sympathy pregnancy.

59. Melissa
    December 11, 2012 | 10:47 am

You ask if anyone experienced unusual dog behavior due to pregnancy. I have to say 110% “YES!”. During what must have been my 3rd of 4th week of my first pregnancy, I still was unaware that I was pregnant. Our Aussie Shepherd began sniffing me incessantly! She was driving me so crazy for days that I was getting annoyed at her. Even my husband noticed her odd behavior.

We found out a few days later that I was pregnant! To this day, my husband and I are convinced our dog ‘knew’ I was pregnant before we did.

60. Dan
    May 9, 2012 | 8:29 pm

Saw blog this posted live on webinar 9/5/12 at 1am BST HIT NO.3 on google by 0121
    That’s got to be a record!!