Home Style

How Dogs React to Human Pregnancy

Do you know how dogs react to human pregnancy? Some dogs react whenever a member of a family is pregnant. This probably comes from the dog’s extraordinarily keen senses, almost like ESP for humans.

Pregnancy is no joke, especially for the women experiencing it. Certain mood swings and changes occur, both physically and emotionally. And at some point, dogs have good detection skills when it comes to sensing these changes. The level of sensitivity to these changes actually varies among the different breeds. Some breeds don’t seem to care about the pregnancy, while some others run about and have certain reactions to it.

Ever Notice How Dogs React To Human Pregnancy?

Some people believe that dogs have a sixth sense, but in reality, they just have better senses when it comes to body language and emotional changes in a person. The extraordinary senses that some dogs seem to possess may be due to the fact that they are indeed quite gifted in sensing these changes. Even emotional changes of people can be seen and detected by dogs.

Another thing is that they are also extraordinary at smelling things, such as odor changes due to the differences in a pregnant woman’s body chemistry, and many react to it.

How Dogs React to Human Pregnancy

Since dogs are capable of identifying these changes, some of them react to them, especially if their master happens to be the pregnant woman. Different postural behaviors can occur, and the dog might start acting weird towards his/her owner. Some dogs may even growl or be overprotective of their owner, and their moods might change. And other dogs may start following their master everywhere.

While these pregnancy stresses for dogs can occur, there are still ways to treat them. If the dog is already well-trained, dealing with its behavior is much easier. One way is to set up clear rules and boundaries around the house and wherever you take your dog. Try giving him some basic commands and help him focus when these situations occur. Once the owner has forcefully taken control of the situation, the dog will feel more relaxed and the tension should go away.

In some areas, there are programs by different organizations that focus on counseling families on treating their dogs that are experiencing this kind of pregnancy stress. The basic key to helping your dog out of this stress is providing him with good care and extra attention to his emotional needs. Dogs in this kind of situation need to be calmed down so they can avoid unwanted annoyance to the family. It is just a matter of preparing the dog for the new baby, and good planning should be established for times when emotions will be a fact of life. Most pregnant women themselves experience emotional stress, and it will be likely “rub off on” the dog. And this is why the dog needs to be properly trained so it can relax to make way for the new member of the family.

Having an idea of how dogs react to human pregnancy will help you when the happy event occurs in your family. You’ll know what to look out for, and can thus keep any problems from becoming serious.

Did you experience unusual dog behavior when there was a pregnancy in your family? Please share below.

1. natasha martin

Jul 24, 2016 at 3:58 pm

my dacshund jack russel mix has been actin strange lately. i mean more so than normal. she aalready has seperation anxiety but she normally just barks the whole time im gone but here lately she hasnt been eating and has been pooping in floor when i leave i was wondering if anybody has heard of this like maybe she senses its time for the baby cause im 39 weeks and 5 days pregnant. it just worries me cause shes never pooped in floor when i left and shes not eating and its scaring me

2. Nina Amaya

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:26 am

So I ran into this post cause i was watching a video on YouTube about pregnancy when i seen a comment about dogs being able to sense if you’re pregnant…
    Yesterday i was at the park with a friend , this guy comes up to us with his Rottweiler and asks my friend to take a video of him commanding his dog to do tricks..
    She comes up to my friend and doesn’t have a problem but she came up to me I pet her and played with her a little bit, then the dog kind of didn’t like me I would get closer to my friend that was recording and she would run up to me and jump on me and push me back two step, another thing too if i had my hands by my sides she would try playing with me, but if I had them up above my head she would sit down and wait for my hands to come by my side again to get up and start kind of (trying to bully me) .. and I got closer again and she did it once more .. I think I might be pregnant I’m not 100% sure yet… That was my first time seeing a dog react to me like that especially because I love dogs .. (she was also a very friendly dog)
    I’m not sure if she was just really well trained or if she sensed me being pregnant because when her owner called her she would kind of just show off nd not listen

3. suraj kapur.

Jun 26, 2016 at 3:49 pm

My mom is 9 th month’s pregnant with triplet baby.my labrador likes to lick my moms tummy or roll his tongue into mom’s cute belly button.when he takes away his mouth mom’s tummy is totally wet from under his breast to his abdomen.my mother likes to wear a bra or panty during home.so the dog can lick everywhere.my mom is little chubby.so its nice to see a chubby 43 yr old woman pregnant with triplet is sitting with a black labrador wearing a black panty bra in qhitish body!!!!!!.

• Brenna

Jul 22, 2016 at 7:21 am

Uhhhh what?

4. Sarah

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:13 am

I was overdue with my youngest and had the sweep, I went to bed for the rest of the day and took my shih tzu Bailey with me about midnight my contractions started and Bailey kept throwing up? Don’t know if it was something to do with me going into labour?

5. Patty Loving

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:22 pm

My King Charles surrounded me with a circle of dog food whenever I would lie down. So cute and sweet! I miscarried so not sure how it would have played out later!

6. Amanda

May 10, 2016 at 6:15 pm

My bf’s dog doesnt follow me around at all and isnt super protective of me. Since ive become pregnant, she has decided to poop ONLY in the house and cause complete chaos. Does this mean a dog could be threatened by a pregnancy… like they feel they wont get enough attention when the baby comes that they will throw a fit for attention? Please tell me im not the only one with this problem…

• Morgan

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Are you still having this issue? .. You just need to show as much love and attention to your dog as possible.. It could mean they’re threatened but it could also just be the hormone changes in you. Depending on the dog, the age, how far along you are, when this started, and when if it’s stopped.. It could even just be a phase … But from what I’ve learned/experienced and read up on showing the up most amount to attention to the acting out animal is the first and best step to take. When you become pregnant often animals don’t know how to act to all the different changes you are going through. They pick up per say on all your emotional, physical, mental, and hormonal changes and it sometimes stresses the animal out. So showing that love and affection and trying to make the animal as comfortable as possible and as if nothing has changed (try to continue the same routine as pre pregnancy) at least to start out is the best thing to help them cope. That’s rhe biggest thing, helping them cope through this stressful time for them as well..

7. louise

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:31 am

My rescued Mastin has become very affectionate with me (Im 7 months pregnant) and in the park she attacks dogs who come near me that she doesn’t know. She is definitely more protective. Shewants to put her head on my lap all the time.