NC Legislation Will Allow Breaking Into Vehicles to Rescue Dogs from Hot Cars

The North Carolina House passed a bill yesterday that gives explicit permission to use “any reasonable means” to rescue dogs and other animals left in hot cars.

Currently, 14 US-states prohibit pet owners from leaving animals in hot vehicles, and most allow law enforcement officers to enter the vehicle to rescue a dog in distress. However, North Carolina’s new law, if passed by the governor’s signature, will allow not only police officers, but also firefighters, animal control officers, and other rescue workers to take necessary action in saving an animal’s life.

Bob Marotto, the director of the Orange County Department of Animal Services, is thrilled with the new legislation and hopeful that it will pass, saying “I think that’s a valuable tool for local animal control agencies to have to deal with animals that are in vehicles and distressed.”

Marotto’s department receives about 5 calls each week from concerned citizens reporting dogs trapped in hot cars. This legislation will allow his officers to take action, rather than wait previous moments from police to arrive on scene.

On an 80-degree sunny day, the inside temperature of a vehicle can soar to over 110-degrees in just a matter of minutes. Once an animal begins exhibiting signs of distress, immediate care is necessary for survival.

Way to go, North Carolina! We’re looking forward to 49 more states following your lead!

139 Responses to NC Legislation Will Allow Breaking Into Vehicles to Rescue Dogs from Hot Cars
  1. Criminal Case cheats
    March 27, 2014 | 1:07 am

Hi exceptional blog! Does running a blog such as this require a great deal of work?
    I’ve absolutely no expertise in programming but I had
    been hoping to start my own blog in the near future.
    Anyways, if you have any suggestions or tips for new blog owners please share.
    I understand this is off subject but I simply needed
    to ask. Kudos!

2. car window breaker
    December 10, 2013 | 2:36 pm

This is a topic that is near to my heart…

Cheers! Where are your contact details though?

3. http://affordablefencemn.com/
    July 24, 2013 | 10:46 am

Hello, I believe your blog might be having internet browser compatibility problems.
    When I look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine but
    when opening in Internet Explorer, it’s got some overlapping issues. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Apart from that, fantastic blog!

4. will
    July 22, 2013 | 12:20 pm

Another over-reach by a bloated nanny state government….. A dog is a persons property and what they choose to do with it is their concern…. As far as allowing destruction of property,the people who cheer this legislation should be ashamed of themselves…. I’d love to see someone bust my window out to
    “save” my dog when I left him in the car for two minutes while I was grabbing a gallon of milk at the gas station…..

5. Ginger
    July 22, 2013 | 11:13 am

I live in Florida, where the temperatures have been insane. Once I called 911 about a dog left in a vehicle and they said that wasn’t an emergency. They told me to call animal control. Then I called animal control and they told me they don’t have anyone who goes out on calls like that. This was in Brandon, FL. Yep, that’s right. Any idea how many animals die in cars daily here in FL? No- nobody knows, because the police don’t care! I would break a window in an instant if I saw an animal in a hot car with the windows up in this heat. I don’t care if it’s been 1 minute or 10. I will break the window. Then I’ll leave a note for the owner about what an idiot they are, and take their “precious pet” to Animal Services where they can pay the FINE to retrieve their animal!

If I don’t do it, who will???? Apparently the authorities in Tampa, FL don’t care.

6. Ali
    July 22, 2013 | 1:08 am

tell me if you think this is wrong or not.. be HONEST.. not mean!
    I few days ago i was out driving with my dog… i had to run into a store real fast… since they didnt allow pets… i parked my car… kept it running.. and BLASTED the air conditioning… i put the windows up and my dog sat in the air on the front seat until i returned.. however when i got back… an officer was writing me a ticket for letting my car idle in the parking lot… he said “Next time you need to turn your car off!!” i looked at him and said let me get this straight… you want me to leave my dog in the car.. and turn it off? he sat there for a minute thinking.. then told me to roll the windows down instead… and tie his leash so he couldnt get out…. needless to say i fought the ticket in court… thank god the judge was an animal lover and UNDERSTOOD why i had kept the car running!!! my dog is my family… i’d rather pay 1000$ in fines… then to leave my dog with NO air!!!! cant believe that cop…. (i even wrote on a piece of paper and put it in my window that said… Dont worry… The air is running in the car!!)

7. James L.
    July 21, 2013 | 9:57 pm

THE ONES YOU’D EXPECT TO KNOW….DUH!
    DURHAM BULLS HANDLER HAS NO MICROCHIP (LOSES DOG)
    Not a hot car, but this is a “Chapel Hills Trainer/Kennel Owner” and Owner of the Mascot dog, Deuce, of the Durham Bulls Baseball Team.
    He should’ve known better to have had a microchip on this dog and of all, at least a leash.

Kennel in NC:

Owner Gene’s public page
    Older threads address his not having a chip but no response from him that I can see.

8. orn
    July 21, 2013 | 9:36 pm

The legislation comes the same week that the Carrboro Police Department charged the program manager of the Eyes Ears Nose and Paws nonprofit with misdemeanor animal cruelty after she left a dog in a car with the windows rolled up June 10. The golden retriever named Worthy, which was being trained as a service dog, died the next day.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/07/19/3038300/house-oks-bill-to-let-officers.html#storylink=cpy

9. beth
    July 21, 2013 | 9:00 pm

He I’d be exceptionally pissed if someone broke into my car to rescue my dog when I leave it running with the ac on. Since its electric you won’t hear the engine. All they will be doing is letting all the hot air in and costing me a window.

• yamin
      July 24, 2013 | 11:49 am

Please note that even leaving the A/C on in an idling car with the windows up can be risky for your dog. A police K9 suffocated in Fresno, CA after the officer left the car idling with the A/C on. The triple-digit temps outside simply caused the A/C system to fail and blow hot air into the car.

10. Ellen
    July 21, 2013 | 4:27 pm

NC, doing something this progressive? Hard to believe with their practices of gassing animals, but every little bit of care and concern from legislators is welcome.

11. JenJen
    July 21, 2013 | 7:49 am

Yes People are real ASS – Holes , need to mind there own business.
    My fat farts go every where with me , they sit there fat ass in the car with A/C, Plus We have gallon jugs frozen ice under there blanket they lay on and water bowl that besides the point , Pretty soon your dog won’t be aloud to be in the car with you . Be a law or some bull shit, Breaking my window of my car just because you think it’s ok. because it’s some law passed because A dog is sitting in a car. Your ass would be in jail and going to court for messing with my property. If for one second I thought my fat kids were not safe ,they sure wouldn’t be going bye bye with me. There is cases people leave Baby’s, kids and animals in a hot cars ,Make sure it’s the case before you do something real stupid people ,ALL the laws being passed. What in the hell is this world coming to. So sad how people attack other people. When you love something you sure wouldn’t put it in harms way, Sorry for my piece of mind , But my fat kids have been going every where with me for years, and that’s not going to change.Good Luck people who take there dogs car riding soon your pets won’t be able to take a trip to the Vet’s office or groomer or to the dog show, be a law no car riding for dogs or I should say your pets if people have it there way.

12. Rafi Johnson
    July 21, 2013 | 1:12 am

…yet North Carolina allows animals to be killed in mass-holocaust-style gas chambers at shelters across the state… odd.

13. DMac
    July 21, 2013 | 12:09 am

I applaud this law … if it’s enforced properly and for JUSTIFIED distress.
    I travel 7 hours from my home to my parents home on a regular basis with my 2 furbabies. Nope … can’t leave them at home alone for 3 days, and yes, they enjoy the trip. However ~ for all you people saying “just leave them home” …. responsible pet owners have the ability to do this safely. I HAVE to stop for gas, and people tend to frown on me popping a squat to take a dump out in the pet walking area with my girls … soooooo … I have to go to the bathroom >inside<. If it's hot, I leave the vehicle running. If it's comfortable outside (I'm not an idiot and know how hot a car can get in a short amount of time) ~ then the windows are cracked and yes … they hang out in the car. I often wait for long periods to wait for a front parking space to open so I can see them while I'm waiting in line to pay for snacks. It can be done …. safely …. and responsibly. If my pet was in distress and someone needed to call 911 please do so — let trained AUTHORITIES make that decision …. but trust me …. if you break my window, chances are slim you're not in my eyesight, and we will have issues.

14. Barbara
    July 20, 2013 | 10:26 pm

This is wonderful. But if I see any dog in any car you can bet your whatever that I WILL find a way to get into the car.. In fact I am going to put a sledge hammer in my car right now just in case!!!! And that is regardless or not any law has or has not been passed to do so.

15. Melrose
    July 20, 2013 | 9:45 pm

Leaving the car running while pets (or children) inside is a joke. A local police department found out the hard way. They took a K9 officer to a call. The human officer left the dog in the car with the engine running and the AC on. He was gone longer than he had anticipated and the engine had stalled. The dog was in the seat dead. It took just a matter of a few minutes for it to happen. It was only 85 degrees outside, but once the engine stopped running, the temp began to climb. It happens more often than one would think. I’ll break a window if I have to in order to rescue an animal. And yes, I am a volunteer with a rescue organization.

16. [...] NC Legislation Will Allow Breaking Into Vehicles to Rescue Dogs from Hot Cars | The Dogington Post. Rate this:Share this:TwitterFacebookPrintEmailLike this:Like Loading… This entry was posted in Dogs, Helpful Life Hints and tagged dog friendly legislation by gspotsylvania. Bookmark the permalink. [...]

17. Marybeth
    July 20, 2013 | 6:03 pm

I’m really confused as to why anyone would leave their pet in a car unattended hot or cold outside. If you can’t take them then don’t take them with you. I called the police about two dogs in a parked car in front of a groomer in Charlotte nc. I went into the groomer and asked if they knew who’s car it was. They said no. One window open about one inch, one dog frantic trying to get his snout out the window and foaming and drooling. I didn’t see the second dog until after I called 911 & was on the phone with dispatch. Second dog unresponsive in back seat, I told operator I was going to break window and she advised officer was pulling into p arking lot. As soon as the officer approached car and looked inside he ran back and got something from his car to hit the window with, the owner came out of the groomer shop wanting to know what was going on and told me to stop being a nosey blank blank, the officer told her to get the car open or he would break window also told her he was going to give her a citation if she didn’t stop saying nasty things to me. He had both dogs out of the car and took her information and told her he would be checking up on the dogs. Her argument was they were show dogs and she’s a breeder and they are used to being in the car at shows. Idiot. He also made it a point to tell her based on what the one dog was acting like if I had broken the window it would not be me getting a fine or citation. All you people who seem to think it’s fine to leave them and have so much to say about someone breaking your Windows fans, water or not should not have dogs. You are irresponsible.

18. Chris Dulabone
    July 20, 2013 | 6:00 pm

I applaud this law, of course. But I have questions. After the officer breaks a window, does he confiscate the dog? Does he take it to the police station and make the owner pay a fine to get it back? What if the dog is frightened and becomes vicious? I want more details here!
    I am not a police officer or anything like that. But if I saw a dog, cat, child, elephant, or whatever in distress, I would not hesitate to break a window to rescue it, but what then? I do not have a cell phone. I do not have a car. I am in a wheelchair, so I can’t run for help. I wouldn’t know what to do next. I can’t let the animal or child just roam around free. It might run into the street and get killed anyway. Really, it should not even be an issue. Just leave the pets at home. And if it is a child, you are a TERRIBLE parent and your children should be taken away from you!

19. [...] via NC Legislation Will Allow Breaking Into Vehicles to Rescue Dogs from Hot Cars | The Dogington Post. [...]

20. BJ
    July 20, 2013 | 3:32 pm

As a resident of NC, I applaud this action. Please pass this. You wouldn’t believe the most irresponsible animal owners.

21. Loretta Swick
    July 20, 2013 | 2:11 pm

I think this is fantastic news, congratulations on passing this law, maybe other places will take this situation seriously and adopt your law. In Canada, things are also improving with security guards checking all cars to see if there are any pets in the car. This should become a world wide thing.

22. Ally
    July 20, 2013 | 1:42 pm

This is some BS. So let me get this straight…ONLY “official” people with distinguished roles can rescue an animal that could be minutes away from death locked in a hot car? Why not ANYONE (that includes Jane Doe that just happens to be walking past the car. She doesn’t have a cellphone to call anyone and there’s no one else around) can smash a window to save an animal (or child’s) life!?? I don’t care if there’s restrictions to this law..If I lived in NC, I’d be smashing any windows to save an animal or child’s life. Yeah, I’m just a civilian, but the minutes CAN count in these situations! Sometimes, there is just NO time to try and go find some official person that is granted the right by law to save an innocent life.

• James L.
      July 21, 2013 | 10:57 pm

There’s legitimate calls to AC that have to be addressed but there’s many in the public sector that call without realizing that some of the animals aren’t in danger at all, windows open, shade, air running, temperature ‘not dangerous’ but they call regardless. If the public was given liberty to break windows, they’d break them on a whim even not in an emergency.

23. click here
    July 20, 2013 | 1:34 pm

Hurrah, that

24. linda
    July 20, 2013 | 12:39 pm

North Carolina, nice going to get animals out of hot cars, now pass a law to stop gassing them to death!!!

25. Mary Anne Gardner
    July 20, 2013 | 12:07 pm

So happy to hear this, good work!!!

26. Tom
    July 20, 2013 | 12:00 pm

I can just see all the busy bodies wringing their hands now in anticipation of being able to overreact.

27. Reuben
    July 20, 2013 | 11:41 am

Finally, something has gone right in North Carolina!

28. Minna Koltes
    July 20, 2013 | 11:20 am

WELL DONE, NC!!! :-)

29. Karen H
    July 20, 2013 | 10:55 am

Thank you NC! Now lets get the rest of the STATES and CANADA, on board to eradicate the deaths of dogs and kids due to ignorance and stupidity of HUMAN beings!!Even one minute is a hot car can due irreparable damage or death!

30. Peter
    July 20, 2013 | 8:29 am

“I broke the window to rescue his dog, but it ran away as soon as I opened the door. His smart phone must have just fallen into my pocket while I was helping the dog get out.”

• Robert
      July 20, 2013 | 6:35 pm

oh yeah and I saw there was a gun under the seat and since the dog was gone I picked the gun up so no one else would take it and then I accidently had it discharge into this persons chest so I threw it in the dumpster.I hope that guy doesn’t spend to much time in prison,I guess I will go ahead and use that wallet with ID I found of his cause he won’t need it for awhile!

31. Gary
    July 20, 2013 | 2:48 am

Law or no law, the dog will come out of the hot car. I do not care what state I am in. It won’t be the first time nor will it be the last.

32. Marita Powell
    July 20, 2013 | 12:41 am

Wish they would pass this here in Oregon. Just this afternoon, found a beagle locked in a black truck……in the sun…..waited 10 minutes then called the police…….owner came out before cops got there….unlocked door….picked up the poop in the front seat…..locked door….walking back into store….asked what he was doing…told to mind my own f**ing business……cops showed up….gave a warning……big deal. What can I do????Laws need to change.

33. cyndy livingston
    July 20, 2013 | 12:36 am

how do we get our state to do this?

34. Scott
    July 19, 2013 | 11:54 pm

… if only someone would leave Pat McCrory in a hot car. A complete ass hat he is.

35. Reney
    July 19, 2013 | 11:10 pm

i am glad that they passed this law. When it is really hot, will not take my Baby with me, unless it is just to run into the gas station for something, and then when i do, I leave the car running turn the AC on high, crack all the windows, and i make sure i am right back. But if i am going shopping or a place where i know its going to take me while inside, he stays home. I hate leaving him at home but i know its better that way.

36. Lynn
    July 19, 2013 | 8:56 pm

“…49 more states” PLUS the District of Columbia.

37. Terry
    July 19, 2013 | 8:44 pm

Well that’s cool. Do bad they don’t care as much about women as they do dogs.

• Hank in NC
      July 22, 2013 | 10:55 am

Your statement is untrue and unfounded. Our society and legal system favor women over men in every way. More protections, an elevated position, high bias in divorce settlements, custody of children, exemption from the draft (when we had one), lighter maximum weight carrying limit at work, 1500 federal programs such as WIC, state programs, etc. All designed to help “helpless” women. Women have more privilege and power than men ever dreamed of. If a man commits a crime, the system will punish him. If a woman does so, she can get away with murder by claiming PMS. pre-PSM, post PMS, spousal abuse, childhood abuse, Twinkies (first introduced by a man) and all sorts of other excuses and get off. Women can kill their unborn with impunity, yet if a man kills …

“They” do care about women. Enough to make fools of themselves. Enough that Mother’s Day is the busiest day of the year on the phone lines. More money is spent on flowers for women all year long than women ever thought about giving to men (or any other gift, either). Men still pay for dates, give diamonds to women for engagement and anniversaries, provide for their welfare, give them cars, pay their rent, have sex with the man on top doing all the work. Who are you kidding, every day and in every way, they care about women. An old saying, “Women have all the pussy and half of the money.” And rest assured, “they” care about both.

38. Amber
    July 19, 2013 | 8:18 pm

Why all the arguing back and forth? It’s a law, abide by it and you have no problem. Same as with any other law.

• Tom
      July 20, 2013 | 12:03 pm

It was already a law concerning leaving an animal in that situation. Now there is legal protection for authorities preventing a dog death.

39. Midge
    July 19, 2013 | 8:16 pm

The way I read it…it does NOT say “John Q Public” has the right to break in, it says, “…will allow not only police officers, but also firefighters, animal control officers, and other rescue workers to take necessary action in saving an animal’s life.”

No one should leave their pet in the car in “warm” weather let alone “HOT” weather! Leave them at home!!! I read a couple posts of people leaving their cars running with the A/C on. I’m from SC and according to SC Law 56-5-2570 “No person driving or in charge of a motor vehicle shall permit it to stand unattended without first stopping the engine, locking the ignition, removing the key and effectively setting the brake thereon and, when standing upon any grade, turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the highway.

Here’s a video by a vet that actually shows him sitting in the car as your pet would, and how the temp goes up drastically in a very short period of time. Definitely worth a look….and THEN tell me leaving the dog in there is “loving them like my children”. NOT! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JbOcCQ-y3OY

40. Heather
    July 19, 2013 | 6:59 pm

What about cats? I know people that leave their cats in a carrier in the car. Heck I know an older woman who puts her cats in a carrier and then puts them in the trunk of her car when it’s colder outside to haul them to and from the vet.

41. Crystal
    July 19, 2013 | 6:21 pm

OR!!!! Get a copy of your car key made so you can leave the A/C on! Never leave your dog in a hot car! WTF is wrong with people!!!! Seriously

42. Eileen Sedlacek
    July 19, 2013 | 6:11 pm

Well…those of you who put the price of a window above a pet that loves you need to be whipped.. This will put a stop to people taking their dogs with them on hot days and leaving them in a car..even with the windows down it gets too hot…they don’t deserve to die like that… : (. Help them not hurt them)

43. Bill
    July 19, 2013 | 4:41 pm

I leave my dog in the car with the windows 1/2 down, open ice chest with ice, ice bag in towel and ice water, oh yea parked in shade

• Gary
      July 20, 2013 | 2:45 am

Sorry but that still does not suffice. Why can’t you leave them at home?

44. Kelly
    July 19, 2013 | 4:27 pm
  45. Cynthia
    July 19, 2013 | 4:12 pm

so, lets move beyond breaking the windows out. take the example given by Dawn above. had the police shown up before the owner did and this law was in effect and this incident was in NC. They would have broken into the vehicle to remove the animals. From the dogs point of view, yes they were hot and still able to bark it sounds like, but now here is the strange person they do not know coming into their area and they bite the people that are trying to help them, and it could be a big dog at that. what then? who is responsible then? lets say this person fell behind in getting the dog’s rabies vaccination and/or booster shots. what then? dog is safe, yeah!!

so now, we have a safe dog, a bitten police officer, an angry owner, repair bills for the window, fines? what else?

there is the possibility, however remote, unless the dog is on its very last legs, that it will try to defend itself and its property when its cornered. and when someone has broken into its car, even in an attempt to save it, it may try to defend itself and cause some damage. what then? who will be held responsible?

Im not against this (at least most of it), I just want the persons to be of the right mindset before going in, that’s all.

• Tim
      July 19, 2013 | 4:58 pm

Distress, great pain, anxiety, or sorrow; acute physical or mental suffering; affliction; trouble.
      a state of extreme necessity or misfortune.
      That would mean the animal is unable to attack a police officer or anyone else that is trying to help. Its not rocket science people!!! It is simple DON’T LEAVE YOU ANIMALS IN THE CAR WHEN ITS 80, 90 OUT SIDE! Or the police, animal control will get your dog in any means necessary.

• Celeste
      July 19, 2013 | 9:42 pm

Or, the dog is freaking out and bites the cop and…oops, it’s a Pit Bull or a Doberman… guess what? Now, because you wanted to save this dog, you’ve signed it’s death warrant. Use some common sense, people. I love this law for the fact that animals who are truly in trouble can get help easier, BUT I think crazy people will take it too far or not read all the wording and it will cause problems.

Also, I wonder how many of you would go through so much trouble to help a child in need. I wonder how many of you are for late-term abortion? How many of you think it’s okay to dismember a baby because it’s “unborn”. I wish people would show the same outrage for babies as they do Chihuahuas.

• Phyllis
        July 21, 2013 | 9:59 am

They need like buttons on this site.

• Lori Stevens
        July 22, 2013 | 9:43 am

You are taking this so far out of context!! Stay on the subject if you’re going to comment

• Hank in NC
      July 22, 2013 | 10:20 am

So do I. Its called common sense.

46. Marcus
    July 19, 2013 | 4:02 pm

My worry is that crooked cops will use pets in the car as an excuse for warrantless car searches. But otherwise good law.

• Nay
      July 20, 2013 | 6:34 pm

Then I suggest no one ride dirty while leaving their dogs in the vehicle…

47. Dawn
    July 19, 2013 | 3:49 pm

I went to a local retail store today (Farm and Fleet). It was 80 degrees outside. When I pulled into the parking lot, I heard dogs crying. I looked and 2 lanes over there was a vehicle with 2 dogs in it, with the windows barely cracked. It is a statistical fact that vehicles, even with the windows cracked are at a minimum – in the high 90′s when it’s 80 degrees outside. And now you have the sun on the vehicle to make it even worse. I went inside the store, but no one really seemed to want to help. Finally one of the store customer service people paged for the person by stating the make, model and license plate of the vehicle. I’m not sure how anyone could hear the page it was so quiet. No one came forward… now, about 10 minutes have gone by and I’m standing in front of the doors closest to main street, and finally the store manager came over and asked if he could help me. I told him what was going on. I told him that the customer service people only paged once, and I told him the dogs were suffering. His response was “I don’t know what you want us to do about it”. I was now livid. How could anyone allow that to happen? So, I told him he lost my business, and that I was calling the police. By now, another 5 minutes have gone by. I got to my car and called 911. Within a couple minutes more, the owner of the vehicle finally came out and opened his back door to put his purchases in his vehicle. I told him that the store tried to page him and that the police were on the way. His response was “well I just stopped in”. Yeah, right. Over 15 minutes that man left those dogs suffering in his car and he showed absolutely no concern. To know that people have dogs, who don’t deserve them, breaks my heart. I think the laws need to change. I think that if someone takes photos – don’t forget the license plate (time stamped showing how long the dog(s) are in the car) OR takes a video for even more proof, and be sure to take a photo of the driver getting in the vehicle with the dog(s), that should be enough to charge the driver with cruelty to animals. Repeated offense? Make the fines much stiffer, or better yet, include jail time. How many animals have to suffer or die before something changes?
    PLEASE SHARE – EVEN IF IT STOPS JUST ONE PERSON FROM LEAVING THEIR DOG(S) IN A HOT CAR.

• Tracey Mushmanski
      July 19, 2013 | 4:37 pm

YES it always takes more than “a few minutes”. What feels like a very short time to someone in an air conditioned store looking around for a few items can be excruciating inside the car in the summer. STOP DOING IT PEOPLE! Concerned people are going to be excessive and break your window after 3 minutes? You are likely one of the offenders and l suggest you try a stopped locked car in the sun for a minimum of 10 minutes.

• Phyllis
        July 21, 2013 | 9:53 am

We don’t have enough room in the jails for the REAL CRIMINALS, such as murders, rapists, and drug dealers. I have worked at prisons/jails before there is no room for these people.

• Hank in NC
          July 22, 2013 | 10:14 am

Yes we do have room — in their hot cars.

• Debbi
      July 19, 2013 | 10:07 pm

I agree. NO DOG should be left in a car whether or not the air conditioning is on. If you go to a pet friendly store, take your dog.
      If you’re not, leave it home in a cool house. Its not fair to the dog.
      My baby always wants to go for a ride when I get my keys. If I can’t take her cause its a food store or dr. I tell her “next trip”. and I’ll be back in a little bit. Not that she knows, but at least she knows she was told
      something. KMART IS NOT PET FRIENDLY, PETCO, PETSMART LOVE PETS, WALMART AND MARSHALLS AND TJ MAX ALLOW PETS. JUST KEEP THEM ON A LEASE, AND A BLANKET TO PUT ON THE BOTTOM OF THE CART, AND ITS ALL GOOD. AT HOME DEPOT, THE GIRL CAME OVER WITH A PIECE OF CARDBOARD, AND PUT IT IN THE CART AS I DID NOT HAVE HER BLANKET. YEA FOR PET FRIENDLY STORES! OUR PETS ARE LIKE OUR CHILDREN (TO SOME) AND SHOULD BE RESPECTED AND ALLOWED IN THE STORE. IF YOU DON’T LET MY PET COME IN, I WON’T COME IN,,,UNLESS ITS A FOOD STORE OR RESTAURANT-AND THATS FOR SANITARY REASONS. BUT IF I SEE A DOG IN A PARKED CAR, I WILL CALL POLICE. WAIT 5 MIN, AND IF NO RESPONSE, GUESS WHAT??? YOU GOT IT! THEN THE DOG WILL GO TO THE PD WITH ME….SHAME ON BAD OWNERS!!!!

• Nay
        July 20, 2013 | 6:31 pm

only service dogs are allowed in Wal-Mart…

• elle
      July 20, 2013 | 1:53 pm

good comment about pictures with time stamp! took my dogs to camp bowwow yest.. left them in the car while I carried the blanket from home, the cooling pad, their own dish and a bottle of ice water in. car running with a/c on . I was gone for 2 minutes.. they were already panting.. this is Az where at 0900 it is already 90 degrees. don’t tell me dogs can’t overheat in 10 minutes.. they pant and loose heat through their paws. their mouths get dry from the panting so water is absolutely necessary. by the way my car was parked 10 feet from the front door so I KNOW it was 2 minutes! most of the time it takes 10 minutes to get through a checkout line after you have run around the store looking for 0ne item that turns in to 10..JUST DON’T DO IT. Leave them home.
      You cook brain cells even if your don’t kill them. AND while I am thinking about it walk around in the bed of your pick up truck for a couple of minutes bare foot and think about what your dogs paws feel like when you put them back there.

48. [...] NC Legislation Will Allow Breaking Into Vehicles to Rescue Dogs from Hot Cars | The Dogington Post. Share this:FacebookTwitterPinterestLinkedInGoogle +1MoreEmailDiggRedditStumbleUponPrintTumblrLike this:Like Loading… By dogcollarfancy • Posted in Uncategorized • Tagged dog heat, dogs hot cars, pet safety summer 0 [...]

49. JudgeX
    July 19, 2013 | 3:41 pm

It sounds like people are so self-righteous themselves that they fear others might be equally out to prove something by breaking their windows with whatever excuse they have.

If you assume other people will abuse a law or ordnance to the letter of the law against you, you’re either paranoid or that’s what you do yourself to others. If you are the kind of person who calls to report an overgrown yard when your neighbor is on vacation, you deserve to have your car windows (and teeth) knocked out on the most minor technicality – because that’s what you’re doing to others.

You deserve what you condone.

If you’re just crazy paranoid and think there are dog lovers tossing hammers into their cars and roving about town looking for locked up dogs, the reality of the situation is that the most these people would usually do is bring along some cold water to share with your dog through a cracked window, and maybe give you a piece of their mind when you got back to the car. If your window got busted out and there was an animal in the car, I’d guess you deserved it 99 times out of 100, and that one you didn’t deserve was a reasonable misunderstanding.

Cynthia and April sound like they don’t appreciate the idea of people protecting the lives of animals that probably wouldn’t otherwise be okay.

• Gayle
      July 19, 2013 | 8:17 pm

JudgeX,You ROCK!!!

• Michael
      July 20, 2013 | 3:27 pm

I had this just happen to me: The car was running, the AC on at 72 degrees, the windows much cooler to touch, at the farmers market, I would come back every 15 minutes to make sure it was all good, when I was finished there were people around my car telling me they were going to break in. My dog was totally relaxed until everyone was at the windows and she kept barking at them.
      I was told I am an asshole and not from around there, and where ever I am from everyone is an asshole.
      I chose to wait for animal control and the police who assured me I did nothing wrong! All the people wanting to break into my car were angry with me and expected me to apologize to them!

50. Justyna
    July 19, 2013 | 3:37 pm

I don’t understand… What did police officers previously do in such situations? This is clearly a life-threatening situation, it is their responsibility to rescue the animal. They need some special new regulations for that? Disturbing.

• Nay
      July 20, 2013 | 6:36 pm

The regulations open it up to all rescue workers…not just cops now.

51. Cynthia
    July 19, 2013 | 3:24 pm

no, because I take care of my dogs and would not leave them in that situation in the first place. I think more of them than that, they ARE my children!!! so yes I feel I can make that statement. I travel all over the country, in all types of weather conditions with my dogs. I am prepared for most things, hot & cold, sickness, etc. I have vets on speed dial. All Im saying is that this will open the door for ppl to “think” they are doing a good thing when maybe in reality they went overboard and had no justification in the first place. that’s why I said that I hope the “concerned persons” that will now be on the lookout will know what the warning signs of real distress are and not just on a witch hunt for a dog in a vehicle.

52. Kathy
    July 19, 2013 | 3:08 pm

Seriously, Cynthia? The law goes too far because it allows for taking whatever action is necessary to save an animal in distress?

Selfish much?

Maybe you should leave a sign on your car saying if someone breaks your window to save your dogs you’ll make them pay for the damage – after you pick up your dogs at the local police department.

Dog not in distress? You feel like you might be inconvenienced because of this law? Do you honestly think one broken window in your vehicle is a greater loss than the loss of a dog, or other pet, that is suffering from hyperthemia?

• April
      July 19, 2013 | 3:29 pm

Umm…it should be expected that if you break someone’s property you will pay for it. Should I put signs on all of my things just in case some idiot decides to break it? Should I wear signs on my arm in case someone decides to break it? Vandalism is already against the law. And I don’t think you understand how expensive windows are, especially if someone is breaking into your window on a false alarm. Just cause a dog’s in the car doesn’t mean it’s dying, gee whiz. Go ahead and break a person’s window (do you know how expensive those things are?!) on a false assumption. Go do it, see if the owner makes you pay or not. I can guarantee that they’ll be more than pissed at you.

• Dexter
        July 19, 2013 | 5:41 pm

Let set you in a car on a smokin hot day and see how you like it.

• Charlie
          July 19, 2013 | 10:21 pm

I drive around in a car with no AC, sit in traffic, and stop at the red lights. Even did it for a whole summer where my front windows wouldn’t open on top of the busted AC. My dog rode with me everywhere, even to work. I crawled around in attics for hours at a time, then got right back in the hot-ass car. It wasn’t fun, I’m still alive to tell about it… Drink water, and make sure waters available for them if you have to leave them for any amount of time. What this article does not, and I haven’t read too many comments that say anything about it either, is that ‘common sense’ is required to determine whether an animal is truly endangered by being in the vehicle, or just uncomfortable. You know what they say about assuming, it makes an ass of u & me. Being uncomfortable is not the same as being endangered. If the dog can get up and look at you, and bark, or wag its tail, dance around the vehicle.. then it’s not dying. Yet. That would be when I would start watching the clock, if the owner does not show up by the time the dog starts looking like it needs help, then that would be where the common sense kicks in, and I do something about it, like calling the authorities. It might not be thrilled to be hot, but it doesn’t mean it’s dying (dogs can survive in deserts too). 10-15 minutes in 102º with nothing but the windows isn’t fun, but lets be serious, it isn’t going to kill you either. Private citizens have no right to damage another persons vehicle period. That’s there there’s laws against it. Go inside, page the owner bring it to their attention… Call the cops… Call the Fire Department… whatever you gotta do… but make damned well sure you’re in the right before you do so. Because you know what they say about assuming…

• Gary
            July 20, 2013 | 2:38 am

Dogs can’t take the heat that a human can take. There temps go up quickly and at far less than what you can stand a dog will have a heat stroke. You’re an idiot and should not be allowed to own a dog. Dogs will wag that tail right up until they pass out, it’s their nature.

• LAURAIE
            July 20, 2013 | 10:39 am

Charlie, you & the rest of the plp who think it’s fine to leave an animal in a hot vehicle just goes to show what an IDIOT you all are!!!

• joanie
            July 20, 2013 | 11:05 pm

Charlie, people like you scare me! other uninformed people will read your post and think you are correct. Dogs don’t sweat like humans do, therefore they are more sensitive to the heat. Dogs have fur coats! I doubt you were wearing one in the attic. Also, dogs with short muzzles are at more risk for respitory (sp?) distress. Dogs and people are not the same! I’m going to look up the desert thing. I have an idea its not quite how you picture it. You sound like a very unpleasant man.

• mk
            July 21, 2013 | 12:43 pm

It may be 102 outside, but inside the car it’s 180. If you wait until the dog APPEARS to be in distress it is too late. They will already have internal organ failure and brain damage.

• Lori Stevens
            July 22, 2013 | 9:36 am

You are incorrect about your assumption that 102 for 10 minutes is just hot. It is sweltering and could kill your dog in a heartbeat. An 80 degree car in 10 minutes can get up to 110 degrees. Watch the youtube video of the veterinarian that sat in his car for 20 minutes to make that point. Just because your dog hasn’t distressed yet doesn’t mean that it won’t. Why take a chance!

• Hank in NC
            July 22, 2013 | 9:54 am

Charlie,

Apparently you have no understanding of the difference between human and animal physiology or appreciation for the difference in abilities to know what to do or to have the ability to end suffering. For example, when you are in a hot attic, you know when your nearing your limit and you know what to do to escape the uncomfortable or even dangerous conditions. Dogs have none of these abilities. They are at the mercy (or lack there of) of their masters. Shame on your ignorance and your attitude.

I once had occasion to see two long furred dogs clearly in distress – hot summer day, in a pick up, windows up. One was already down on the floor and the other was barking and panting with saliva dripping from its tongue. I went inside the air conditioned grocery store and asked management to page the owner. After about 10 minutes, he showed up. When I asked him to relieve his dogs from the heat, he got very belligerent and threatened me with a pipe he had pulled from a tool box. All while the windows were still up and without any actions to help his dogs. He was so irate, that someone called the police. Lucky for his dogs, the police showed up within about two minutes. Luck for him too, as I was armed and ready to defend my life, if necessary.

So Charlie, do your dogs a favor and take better care in the heat. Do yourself a favor and avoid broken windows and …

• carol
        July 20, 2013 | 5:33 am

its hardly vandalism saving a pet…. get real…even if was a false assumption its better to be safe than sorry…
        tho on the other hand.. pets should never be left in hot vehicles ever….

• Charlie
          July 20, 2013 | 5:18 pm

“you’re an IDIOT”.

My, my, what a well thought out rebuttal…

Let’s say your child puked all over their clothes while you were on the way to grandma’s house, and you couldn’t turn around, and you didn’t have a change of clothes with. The store doesn’t allow animals, you don’t have someone to watch your dog outside, and you now have a stinking crying kid now needing to get cleaned up. What do you do? Do you abandon your visit, and return home, or do you drive your now miserable child the rest of the way to your destination as is, or do you hustle in, and hustle out, as fast as possible?

I agree that if you KNOW you are going to a place that you can’t take your dog ahead of time, that you shouldn’t take them with.

But there’s time’s where shit happens, and you have no choice but to get in, and get out as fast as possible.

Whenever possible, I know I would opt to leash my dog to a post outside the door, or under a tree while I ran inside, if it was safe to do so… but then you also have to worry about someone stealing your dog, your dog biting a stranger, or random people doing things like kicking your dog.

It’s easy to judge other people when you don’t have all the details involved in their doings. The point still remains that people should use common sense, and not be so quick to jump on other people.

Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. I’m never thrilled about having to leave my dog anywhere, but sometimes 5-10 minutes in the car leashed to the seat with the windows down is safer than the alternatives.

53. Cynthia
    July 19, 2013 | 2:58 pm

I just hope the “concerned persons” that are breaking the windows knows what a true animal in distress looks/sounds like. I had a idiot, yes idiot, report me because my dog was barking. Nevermind, I was parked in the shade, windows were halfway down and there was a fan blowing on them and the 3 other dogs in the truck were asleep. She was barking because I left her!!! thankfully the guards on the property thought otherwise and did nothing and this was at a dog show event. some idiots think any animal left in a vehicle is in distress. yes there are exception to every rule, but if someone breaks my window out, they better be prepared to pay for repairs. yes I live in NC and some of this bill really went way too far. I am disappointed with some of it.

• Dar
      July 19, 2013 | 3:41 pm

Cynthia, if you notice it says…”will allow not only police officers, but also firefighters, animal control officers, and other rescue workers to take necessary action in saving an animal’s life. Nowhere does it say “the public”. I would think that our first responders would be able to determine whether an animal is in distress or not!

• Renee
        July 19, 2013 | 5:16 pm

If you don’t want windows broke. Leave your animals home. No need to have them out in this heat. So what you had a fan blowing on them. Did you have a bowl of ice water? Dought it?…

• Celeste
          July 19, 2013 | 9:33 pm

I think your comment should read “If you don’t want your windows broken, leave your animals at home.” You should also use a question mark when writing a question. Oh, and the word is spelled “Doubt”. Just to help you out, there…

And if you find an animal in distress, call 911, don’t go breaking windows on your own, or you will be financially responsible.

• Jeff
            July 20, 2013 | 1:04 am

Auto Insurance covers broken windows. It doesn’t cover stupidity.

• John
            July 20, 2013 | 10:03 am

Hope you have a good response time from emergency services. By the time they get there, the animal could be dead.

• sway
            July 20, 2013 | 2:19 pm

Thank you for correcting his/her grammar. Without your help, I never could have understood what he/she was saying. :eyeroll:

• Tina
            July 21, 2013 | 11:05 am

If I see an animal in distress, I WILL break a window. I am not going to waste precious time and allow that animal to suffer by calling someone and waiting for them to get there to help that animal! If you can’t properly care for an animal, don’t get one. Those babies are helpless and totally dependent on us to keep them safe, and leaving an animal in a car on a hot day (I don’t care if you leave the window cracked, in the shade, with a fan and a bowl of water) is irresponsible and shows you really don’t care about the well-being of that animal. Think of that poor baby as a 3-month old child. Are you going to leave a helpless 3-year old child in a car, alone on a hot day? I certainly hope not. However, I have noticed countless idiots doing just that. I would love it if they would pass a law that made these losers have to sit inside a car in the same conditions and for the same amount of time (unable to open the doors and let themselves out)that they put these babies through. Put yourselves in their paws…they are helpless! The inside of a car on an 80 degree day can heat up to over 100 degrees in a matter of minutes. I will do whatever I have to do to save any animal and I don’t care if I have to get locked up to do it, even though it should be the idiots who are abusing their animals who should be locked up.

• Lou
            July 21, 2013 | 12:29 pm

God save us from those who think they’re perfect. Can you say sanctimonious? Did I spell that right teacher?

• Tea
          July 20, 2013 | 10:25 pm

While I don’t condone leaving dogs *trapped* in a car, if you would read the statement to which you replied “leave them at home”, you will see that the poster was AT a DOG show event. Perhaps her dogs were participating in the dog show? She couldn’t well leave them at home if they were show participants, now could she?

True we don’t know the whole story, but considering the shade, windows down and fan (and hoping she had just run in to sign them in or something and was coming right back), I think there are many OTHER incidents about which we could all be up in arms, rather than this one.

• James M
          July 22, 2013 | 10:16 am

Your write? Y wood NE1 nead 2 yous proper grahmer! Shorley U kan steel phigure ought wat I em saing.

• Gary
        July 20, 2013 | 2:31 am

Hope you’re prepared for the ramifications of leaving the animal(s) in the vehicle. I notice you don’t mention what the temp. was. I seriously doubt the windows were half way down either. A dog can’t take anywhere near the heat that a human can. The dog will have a heat stroke even when the temp outside is just in the 80′s, it can be well over 100 in the vehicle, even with the windows open a few inches. If you really care about your pets, leave them at home. A sad face when you close the door will be a happy one when you return. It could be a dead one when you return to your hot car.

• Carla Villarreal
      July 19, 2013 | 5:17 pm

You’re very defensive of a law put in place to protect animal welfare. Just don’t leave your dogs in a hot car, shade or not. If it were me, I’d break your window. Try and get me to pay for repairs! Hahahaha… NOT!

• Gayle
        July 19, 2013 | 8:11 pm

I agree with you all! I will break any window out that has an animal in it in this heat! YES,Cynthia, I am a concerned person!!!

• John
        July 20, 2013 | 7:05 am

Yeah. My window would be the one for you to break. After that, you would decide it just wasn’t worth it.

• Robert
          July 20, 2013 | 6:09 pm

cudos John,most of these people probably aren’t even pet owners and they would hold the US army in contempt for running a dog in the desert without the ac on.

• Dexter
      July 19, 2013 | 5:39 pm

You would probably be screaming bloody murder if something happened to one of your pets and no one stepped up to help them…get real…a piece of glass or your animals welfare. Pug lease. I’d smash your window in a New York minute

• Nancy
      July 19, 2013 | 6:37 pm

I left my 2 little 4leggers in my car one time for about 10 minutes and when came back the law was already there and writing the woman that had called in a ticket for a false police contact..
      You see it 102F outside.. The woman didn’t take into mind that I had left the engine running with the Air conditioner on and my husband was standing 3 cars down talking to a friend..
      They told her that the next time she did call to make sure that she needed to call or she would hauled into jail….

• Jeff
        July 20, 2013 | 1:06 am

That lady was an idiot. Anyone with half a brain would notice the car running.

• Michael
        July 20, 2013 | 3:25 pm

I had this just happen to me! The car was running, the AC on at 72 degrees, the windows much cooler to touch, at the farmers market, I would come back every 15 minutes to make sure it was all good, when I was finished there were people around my car telling me they were going to break in. My dog was totally relaxed until everyone was at the windows and she kept barking at them.

• orn
          July 21, 2013 | 9:22 pm

And if they were in such distress they’d not be barking, they’d be panting. People don’t know the ordinances in their own counties/states.

• Terrie
            August 28, 2013 | 12:55 pm

Having worked in a veterinarian lab and seeing animals that have died from heat exhaustion (and ignorant people), your comment shows you do not know a lot about animal behavior. They do not always bark or pant. A case in point happened several years ago. A show dog trainer driving an owner’s dog to a show in Arizona didn’t know the animal was in distress until she arrived at her destination. By then, the dog had died, cooked internally by the heat. She had her windows open and thought it would be enough. The dog did not bark to let her know it was in trouble. This is just one situation I’ve heard about and, no, it did not happen in the summer Arizona heat, but in the cooler spring months.

• orn
        July 21, 2013 | 9:24 pm

She was probably ranting and raving about it too. It probably wasn’t the first time these officers have encountered her calls that they deemed unnecessary to be called out on.

• Shawn
      July 19, 2013 | 7:40 pm

Sorry Cynthia- in no way is this bill “way too far”. No animal should be left in the heat- I don’t care about fans or water. If I saw an animal in distress I would break the window (and yes I see this reads rescue personal- and I’m not) and I wouldn’t think twice about worrying about paying for repairs either.

• Judyt
        July 20, 2013 | 4:21 pm

I have rescued animals for years, and I would break a window to rescue a furkid from a hot car in a heartbeat! Cynthia: you were at a dog show: so you must be a breeder. You of all people should applaud this law if you truly care about animals. Or are they just a way for you to make money?

• Deb
      July 20, 2013 | 7:50 am

If you’re animal is in distress and I have to break your window to save it, I have no problem leaving you the cash and taking the dog. Seems like a fair trade to me.

• SE
        July 20, 2013 | 3:08 pm

I agree

• Robert
        July 20, 2013 | 6:12 pm

keep the cash,you’ll need it to repair your own window

• Cassandra
      July 20, 2013 | 10:09 am

I would gladly break out windows to save an animal, and have done so in the past. When it comes to a life left it the car you cannot wait for the officials to “come to the rescue”.

• Beth Davis
      July 20, 2013 | 11:05 am

Well maybe take your dogs with you or leave them home…I take 4-5 dogs to each dog show the go in a large crate..with 2 fans..cool coats, damp bedding if its warm..if its to warm for that… they stay home..I think you have to rethink taking your dogs and leaving them in cars..situations can change when your not there..really try to reconsider that…many people thought their dogs were JUST FINE…they weren’t..this is why the legislation..if your worried..leave them home!!!

• bill billio
      July 20, 2013 | 1:52 pm

@ cynthia….WOW!! You really think that “leaving the windows partly open and a fan blowing” is the proper thing to do ? Why would you leave an unattended animal/s in your vehicle? Shame on you,it is you who is THE IDIOT !

• Robert
      July 20, 2013 | 2:10 pm

Cynthia, I don’t know why some people think it would be ok to bust a window out either.Now you have animals in broken glass possibly freaked out trying to escape,maybe jumps out runs in front of a vehical killing the animal,causing an accident,maybe even endangering others,running away,and the list goes on.What is wrong with calling authorities and letting them handle the situation? I think this is what they get paid for!I think some are too quick to make new laws without thinking about all the consequences.

• Barb
      July 20, 2013 | 7:14 pm

If you have to leave your animals in the car during any season for any reason, then you need to leave them home.

• Chris
      July 20, 2013 | 8:28 pm

I agree with you…There are some idiots that will take this too far…I would never leave my mastiff in distress in any situation. He LOVES going for rides in the car and when he does I leave all the windows half down and sun roof half open or leave the A/C on…Yet people walk by and start getting all upset in 60′s and 70′s! I also feel that with some dogs who are very territorial those people are putting there safety at risk because they are violently busting into that dogs space. My dog is not aggressive yet he will not allow someone to reach in to the car for any reason. In essence I can see this new law open up a huge can of worms for many people who are innocent of putting there animals at risk. I see it as an other way to tie up the courts.

• Christine
      July 20, 2013 | 10:18 pm

If the dogs are not going to be with you, why not leave them home. Nobody that actually cares about there animal would take them with them in a car and then leave them in the car whether the windows are down, in the shade or not. It still gets hot in there. Now who is the idiot!

• Cynthia
      July 21, 2013 | 12:37 pm

I would rather some mistakes happen than to have animals suffer and die because of someone like you. At a dog show event someone could have stolen your dogs to use as bait or just for torture. Have you bothered to research how quickly a car reaches high temperatures even when the windows are open? There is a YouTube blurb with a human that shows how quickly the temp raises in cars with the windows open, I would suggest you watch it and learn. your attitude is clearly that of a person that is a breeder that makes money on the pain of your animals, I feel sorry for your “pets”. I rescue animals from people like you on a regular bases and I know what they go through when you use them so you don’t have to have a real job, you should be ashamed. I bet not one of these poor animals is neutered or spayed and when you are done with the ones that don’t make money you will throw them away for people like me to find homes, the rescues are full because of people like you. Get a job, get a life, and think about the suffering you cause! You are the idiot, fans do not help, it was just on the news! As a rescuer/foster for animals that come from puppy mills and show dogs that don’t win you make me sick, get a life and stop living on the pain of animals!

• Hank in NC
        July 22, 2013 | 9:31 am

Cynthia,

Wow! Lots of anger there Cynthia. Do you realize how many assumptions your are making and how much of your experiences you are projecting? Do you know the person to whom you refer (but fail to identify) is a breeder? No. Do you know that they are abusive?. No. Yes someone could have stolen the dogs, but they could have done that with the windows raised or lowered.

I appreciate the work you do to rescue dogs, but please do yourself and others a favor and calm down a bit. You ask questions about the offender doing research. Have you? Sometimes it is necessary to leave animals in a vehicle. It’s better not to, of course, but life isn’t always what we want it to be. Taking precautions such parking in the shade (or better yet in a parking garage), windows lowered, or up with AC on(high)and plenty of fuel in the tank and with a bowl of water readily accessible can provide a safe haven for animals for a short period. Once again, thanks for all you and others do to rescue animals, but please lighten up a bit.

• orn
      July 21, 2013 | 8:51 pm

Any animal control agency will tell you that there’s a lot of concerned citizens that will call without really realizing that it’s not an emergency.
      The bill, *if* signed by governor, is only for officers of organizations, not allowing the general public to break in.

• Lori Stevens
      July 22, 2013 | 9:26 am

I would not wait until the animal goes into distress. If I see an animal locked in a car on a hot day, he’s coming out of there. On a 80 degree day the inside of the car can get up to 110 in 10 minutes. Don’t take a chance.

54. Donna
    July 19, 2013 | 2:43 pm

I pray other states follow. In just the past few DAYS, yes days there have been 50+ reports to our local police department of dogs being left in hot cars. One died the other day as an idiot left the dog in the car for 20 minutes so he could go in Wal-Mart. Oh but he left a bowl of water for the dog! Sick sick people. I would not mind getting in trouble as I will break a window or do whatever I have to .

55. ReapR
    July 19, 2013 | 2:39 pm

I hope this goes double for children as well. I dont care if it is 70 outside.. Ill bust the window out to save a child.

• Jeff
      July 20, 2013 | 1:03 am

Don’t limit this to pets. No living being should be left in a car on a hot day.

• Carol
        July 21, 2013 | 1:02 am

AMEN!!!!!

• Lou
          July 21, 2013 | 12:26 pm

Don’t be stupid. It isn’t against the law to rescue a human in distress.

• Ken Caudill
            July 21, 2013 | 4:15 pm

Any living thing should be rescued when in peril. I will break the law if I needed to.

• Brooklyn
      July 20, 2013 | 5:49 pm

I have never…in all my 43 years…seen a child too small to open a window or crack a door, left in a car. However, I see it with dogs constantly.

• Lisa
        July 20, 2013 | 7:23 pm

Generally, I would agree. Remember that some cars have power windows that can’t be opened when the car is off, and many parents have the child locks set on the doors so they are unable to open from the inside.
        The pets, though, clearly, are at a statistical disadvantage.

• Kate
        July 20, 2013 | 7:32 pm

I have, and if they’re strapped in or if they are power windows it’s not like they can just get out or roll it down! But you see dog’s in hot cars more often. My husband just called the cops on someone yesterday! It was 98 degrees outside yesterday, can’t imagine how hot it got in that car before the cops got there. I might have broken the window, had I been there!

• Maggie Crooks
      August 2, 2013 | 5:35 am

I agree. This should be a law for kids as well. Or for elderly.

• Kel
      August 7, 2013 | 5:04 am

AMEN I would do the same thing. My little guy is never alone in the car. one of us is always in the car with Max and we make sure he is cool with the A/C. always make sure they have water too.

56. Arlien Kennedy
    July 19, 2013 | 2:09 pm

Way to go, NC!

• Maxiee Kirk
      July 19, 2013 | 7:26 pm

N. C. is my home state..Makes me proud to be a Tar Heel!!

• Beth Davis
      July 20, 2013 | 11:00 am

Good job…If I were dumb enough (which Im not) to leave my dog in the car on a hot day..I would pray someone would break my window and get them out…I would welcome it…

• Lesley
      July 22, 2013 | 12:51 am

What are the other 13 states?