Neurological Disorders in Dogs

Neurological Disorders in Dogs

Neurological disorders in dogs are rare, but they do happen. And when it happens, you really feel sorry for your buddy as it experiences many bad symptoms throughout its life. However, it is not that easy to diagnose such symptoms and distinguish the diseases from one another, because some of these symptoms are common is several of these disorders. To assist in diagnosis, one thing that pet owners can do is to document/video their dogs experiencing the symptoms or the “episodes” of their disorder.

Neurological Disorders in Dogs

According to an article in eHow.com:

neurological disorders can affect any part of the dog’s central nervous system, including the spinal cord, brain and nerves within the body. Some disorders are congenital while others are idiopathic, meaning the cause is unknown.

According to the article, some of the neurological disorders which can occur are Degenerative Myelopathy, Dementia, Epilepsy, Granulomatous Meningoencephalomyelitis (GME), and Hepatic Encephalopathy. Obviously, these have to be sorted out by a qualified veterinarian. Some are treatable, some are not.

Neurological disorders in dogs can be truly frightening, especially the epilepsy/seizures. Dogs have no control of their bowels, fall and toss on the ground back and forth, and make scary noises. However, if epileptic instances are not very long, then it isn’t very lethal. It is just a matter of cooperating with your dog and vet to find cure for the seizures.

Stroke in dogs is also a cause of panic, especially when the dog was okay throughout the day and suddenly collapses like nothing. Elder dogs are the usual targets of stroke. There is, however, a more horrific disease called canine vestibular syndrome. In this disorder, the dog’s eyes circle and move around in weird patterns.

Dogs with such diseases often have difficulty in walking, along with excessive drooling and nausea. There is a type of movement called compulsive spinning, a.k.a. tail chasing, in which dogs rapidly chase their tails as if it is an anxiety disorder. It also needs a different approach in treatment.

All owners will be saddened about the fact that their dog suffers from trouble in walking and other symptoms of such neurological disorders. There are a number of serious disorders for dogs, including canine wobblers’ syndrome, which is seen with the dog’s lack of coordination. Another is intervertebral disk disease which also hinders normal walking procedures of a dog but a lot easier to diagnose. And then, there is the lethal head trauma, and even the poisoning, both of which can occur to your dog the least you expect it, and usually have no cure.

Diagnosis of neurological diseases are very hard for vets because some symptoms are similar and the fact that they don’t always see the dog’s symptoms. There is usually no clear and definite diagnosis, and this is where you can really help by videotaping your dog’s actions.

Usual actions of a vet will include treatment that starts from the symptoms themselves, since there is typically no definite diagnosis made at the beginning. A dog’s responses will the basis of the diagnosis, as well as a couple of blood tests.

Always ask your vet for further clues and explanation about your dog’s disorder, but do not complain to them when they cannot make a definite diagnosis and are unsure of their findings about your dog. Vets will be honest when that time comes and all you can do is just cooperate with him/her to find out about your dog’s disease.

Vets have the obligation, however, to explain the possibilities and ways of getting the right diagnosis and the steps to be taken for it, such as treatments and tests. In this way, the owner should be well-informed about how things are going to work out for his/her dog. Not only that, dogs and owners also get to learn more about how a dog’s nervous system works and the many diseases that occur.

Fortunately, I have never witnessed any neurological disorders in dogs, either mine or those of friends. Have you?

19 Responses to Neurological Disorders in Dogs
  1. Wilma Robertson
    January 1, 2014 | 7:16 pm

yes, we have observed what we believe to be neurological problems. Our dog, Blue is an 11- year old Heeler. In the last week he has been having episodes, always at night, where he is confused, has no muscle control and staggers aimlessly about the house.
    The first time it happened he fell down a flight of stairs; now when we hear him moving about, we get up and carry him down. Last night he pooped in the living room, not in his character at all.
    During the day he appears fine, eats and goes for a pretty good walk.
    Blue was diagnosed with hip dysplasia in Sept and is on a low dose of meloxicam.
    Tomorrow we will see our vet.

2. Jenny
    December 27, 2013 | 2:33 pm

We just took in a 8 year old doxie. He walks around looking confused at times. Very hard to feed him. To get him to eat I have to spoon feed him. Sometimes he appears to forget that he is eating. He just stops and looks blank. Then when I get his attention again he will try to cover his food up. I have to wave the spoon right under his nose to get him eating again. He will go in circles and bark. Any ideals?

3. Lani
    October 21, 2013 | 12:09 am

as a volunteer working with a no-kill, private non-profit organization I brought home a very tiny (1 lb. 3 oz.) Chihuahua, male. Just darling! In keeping to strngthen him & bring his weight up, I noticed that he had trouble eating (actually chewing the food); he has the constant spin trait asociated with dogs who have Nuerological Disease; he prances when he runs; and he almost always crosses his front legs when he sits down. In addition, his vision is compromised, tho not lost. Just as reported in the posts above, I worried about him, felt bad for him, & love his unconditionally.
    My question to anyone reading these posts: Does he understand my behavior commands? He does not seem to respond very well to a stern spoken “No” along with his name. Out in the yard, he seems to come to me when I call him, sort of on the “If he wants to” basis. when he doesn’t come to me, his actions apear to be playful. However, it may be that I am missng the key to this. I am elderly, have fostered many dogs for this organiztion & previously for the local SPCA, & feel I have adequate knowledge to socialize & give basic training t0 my Foster dogs, preparing them for Adoption. I am stumped with this little long legged, big eared Deer Chihuahua. He is a darling little dog & I love him, plus, an adoption for him may well be a long time in coming, if ever! Success seems much mor likely if I can train him in just the basics of sit, stay, come & off. If he stays in my home forever, I will appreciate the effort. So, is there any information; any reading material which speaks to this problem. I have a wonderful Vet who has diagnosed that this little guy is indeed “not right” & suggests that the brain lesion is on the right side of his brain which is determined by his total turning behavior in circles to the right. Never to the left!

I will continue to check with my Vet for additional information & would so much appreciate any reliable suggestions any poster might have regarding the trainability of a Nuerologically challenged dog. Thank you.

4. Cassius
    October 6, 2013 | 2:23 pm

Hi,

I wish someone would provide some sort of feed back. I have read these posts, and am having similar problems now. I don’t know what it is or what to do. Well, I know that if I take him to the vet, the bill will run upward to more than I can afford.

My dog has recently started losing his balance and I think it’s his back legs that are giving out. I don’t think it’s arthritis b/c his head is tilting towards the left. Also, I have noticed in the past he’d lose his balance, just not as often as in these last 15 hours. I’ve had him for 3 years and he is about 7 or 8 years old. Since I’ve had him, he’s always walked sideways. Don’t know what that means.

• Bonnie Herron
      February 15, 2014 | 8:46 pm

Over the last week or so, we started noticing some severe issues with our 7 year old Pembroke welsh corgi. He was diagnosed 6 months ago with severe arthritis in his hind legs (which made it difficult for him to get up after laying down for awhile and stumbling coming in and out of the house. The first sign of trouble was that he was hesitant to get up and when he did he would wobble and stumble and fall. He could not get in and out of the house without assistance. He could walk although not very well and would fall down often. I also began to notice a distant look in his eyes and a tilted head. Eventually, he just began dragging his hind end. One or two steps and he fell down. Took him to the vet and she verified it was neurological because when she placed his back foot in an akward position he wouldn’t put it back himself as he did with his healthy front foot. The only option was to have an MRI done (about a thousand dollars) and if surgery was an option another 5 or 6 thousand. I chose to take him home and spend a few days with him and think about it. He just got worse. He was so weak he could not have a bowel movement and rarely urinated. The outlook was not good. After the research I did, he had all the symptoms of a neurological problem that would eventually make him paralyzed completely. I had to carry him everywhere. What finally made me make the decision to put him to sleep was that he hadn’t had a bowel movement for four days. It was the hardest thing I had to do but my love for him would not allow me to let him suffer. I hope this helps you.

5. Mike Barlow
    August 8, 2013 | 4:40 am

I have an 8 year old BoerBoel dog, (8 next week), initially diagnosed with Arthritis in the rear limbs. More detailed considerations now suggest a neurological problem since the dog suddenly collapses into an uncontrolled sprawl on to the ground. He will not eat regularly, now is only realy happy with chicken and water on an irregular basis. Is he in pain? I’m not sure; sometimes perhaps. It’s very difficult to be certain. Pain killers over a period of 4 days was of little use. I take each day as it comes, but what to do in the longer term? I’m having difficulty with that question. I would appreciate any meaning answers. Is it too early to have him destroyed? A difficult question balancing my desires and what is best for the dog.

Thanks in anticipation of any advice Mike 08/08/2013

• Jerry
      January 22, 2014 | 1:02 pm

My 11` 1/2 year old Boerboel has similar problems. Could be a degenerative
      disease or Hip Dypspasia or artheritis. X-Ray than a MRI to determine for sure.

6. Diana Schroeder
    August 5, 2013 | 4:49 pm

My dog Mario has yet to be diagnosed …. He had one major seizure when he was a puppy and has been on medication since. However he often walks “sideways” (we’ve lovingly nic named him “the sidewinder”) though its heartbreaking to watch. He runs into walls and tables daily and he turns in circles before laying down…his record is 27 circles. He paces alot also. He is a happy guy and doesn’t seem to be in pain. He is a grey hound Lab mix and he can run faster than any dog I’ve had, but he tires very quickly which is very unusual for his breed and for as young as he is (just over a year). We love him so much and its just heartbreaking to us. I’ve researched and talked to the vet but its still unclear to me if treatment would be available. If it isn’t, then I’d rather enjoy him for as long as we can…and prefer not to know what is wrong. Would love to hear from anyone who has experienced this with a younger dog. Thanks

• Fred
      October 14, 2013 | 5:33 pm

My son recently got a dog (appears to be mostly Terrier, about two yeas, 10 to 15 pounds) at a rescue center that has similar symptoms.
      Did you receive any replies to your post? If so I would very much appreciate
      your letting me know where I cab read them.
      Thanks
      Fred

• Kendra
        November 8, 2013 | 12:07 pm

Have your vet check your dogs liver- it could be a Portalsystemic Shunt. All dogs are born with this extra vessel at the liver, but 97% of them close by the age of 3mo. (I believe). However, 3% of dogs continue to live on with this extra vessel and the toxins that are to be removed from the liver are not, the toxins get transported into the blood stream. If left untreated this is always fatal- however, my Yorkie mix was diagnosed at 3 and lived 6 long years with treatment from daily medication.

7. Jack
    July 24, 2013 | 9:58 pm

Our 19 year old Chihuahua experienced a sudden neurological disorder that the vets were unable to diagnose, however they did say that neurological disorders are common amongst older dogs. She could no longer hold her head up straight and found eating and drinking difficult and lost all control over body and persistently made a whining noise, she could have recovered but due to her age this was highly unlikely, therefore earlier last night we decided to have her put to sleep to end her suffering. All of her health in general was above average for her age, however its just a sad thought that whatever neurological disorder she suffered from stacked the odds against her, all of this happened in 2-3 days. If anyone out there owns an older dog be on the look out for any unusual behaviours particularly if your dog appears to be uncoordinated then your best bet is to rush them straight to the vets.

8. Louise Tessier
    June 19, 2013 | 11:12 pm

My Peppy has myelitis…at first diagnosed as inverterbal disc disease…what a roller coaster ride we have been on since the onset of her illness…misunderstood and mis diagnosed…been hard,,,one year and a half later she is fairly stable…you cant give up hope on these dogs…we take everyday as it comes …good and bad…all I want for her is happiness and good quality of life….every extra day is our blessing

• lynne
      September 7, 2013 | 4:25 am

I find your blog interesting.
      I have had my dog poodle/cocker through a few days of trauma she has had MRI CT blood work spinal work and all because it looked like a disc, her neck is sore and her left foot is not good
      It looks neurological now. She is home from emergency vet on many meds, but reading your blog gives me another thing to check with the vet.
      the fact everything came back normal, but my baby ebony i still crying in pain. Intermitent but still in pain.
      thanks
      Lynne

9. Wendy
    March 8, 2013 | 10:27 pm

My almost 3 year old Koolie cross started having episodes where she was acting “drunk”, falling over and very uncoordinated since late December. She only has these eisodes when it is hot and she is out excersising. She has had approximately 8 episodes now and the vet has done blood tests which came back normal. He seems to think this is a neurological problem but is baffled at the moment. It is quite distressing for us to watch her going through this. She has also started whining in her sleep.

• Kera
      May 15, 2013 | 9:10 am

My pug is having similar episodes of acting drunk, but he seems to be in pain with them and looks confused. Afterwards he is just fine. They last for a couple minutes. My vet doesn’t know what is happening to him and the blood tests have come back normal. He is having at least two a month now. Have you found anything out?

• linda vartanian
      March 11, 2014 | 6:47 pm

did you ever find out what was going on?? i have a 16 month old male german shepherd who had one incident of swaying, loss of coordination, appearing drunk in december and one more yesterday, 3 mos after the first one. each incident lasted a minute or two and then he was back to normal. i had him checked out by a vet for orthopedic issues but there are none. i am worried.
      any info/experiences most gratefully accepted.

10. [...] Syndrome in PetsVestibular Disease in dogs – dog strokesCanine Vestibular Disease (CVD)Neurological Disorders in Dogs .recentcomments a{display:inline !important;padding:0 !important;margin:0 [...]

11. Kathy
    May 9, 2012 | 1:38 pm

My almost 4 year old miniature schnauzer, Rosie, has had two seizures in the past year. While the vet did diagnose epilepsy, at this time she is not on medication because the seizures seem to come once every six months or so. On the medication there are risks, and “good control” is two seizures a month; so unless hers become much more frequent as she gets older, I will just comfort her afterwards.

• Tiffany
      May 28, 2013 | 1:51 pm

My dog also has seizures about every 6 months, we have noticed it is due to extreme changes in weather, summer to fall and winter to spring. We don’t use any meds either since it is a very predictable pattern. Not sure if your dog also follows that pattern, but it might be good to be aware of the possiblity since it might make it easier to predict when your dog might have an episode. Good luck!