RECALL ALERT: Iverhart Chewable Heartworm Prevention

Virbac Animal Health has issued an expanded recall of certain lots of Iverhart Plus Flavored Chewables for heartworm prevention.

This recall is an expansion of a recall issued last April due to low levels of Ivermectin, leaving dogs in the upper third of each weight range unprotected against heartworm infection.

According to PetMD, the following items are part of the expanded recall:

The following lot numbers of Iverhart Plus Flavored Chewables are included in the expanded recall:

Small (up to 25lbs)
120092: Small (up to 25lbs)
120397: Small (up to 25lbs)
120398: Small (up to 25lbs)
120798: Small (up to 25lbs)

Medium (26-50lbs)

120678: Large (51-100lbs)
120831: Large (51-100lbs)
121110: Large (51-100lbs)
121150: Large (51-100lbs)
121283: Large (51-100lbs)
121386: Large (51-100lbs)

No illness or adverse reactions have been reported as a result of this recall.

For questions or concerns about the Iverhart Plus recall, please contact Virbac Technical Services at 1-800-338-3659 ext. 3052.

41 Responses to RECALL ALERT: Iverhart Chewable Heartworm Prevention
  1. Garcinia plus Ingredients
    April 11, 2014 | 3:18 am

It’s remarkable for me to have a web page,
    which is beneficial in support of my know-how. thanks admin

2. Tammy
    January 4, 2014 | 4:34 pm

I just found out that my 12yo dog had heart worms! I was giving her Iverhart Plus 51-100 lbs, and the most recent package’s Lot # doesn’t match any of the numbers listed. However she could have contracted the heart worms while taking an earlier package.

• MEGAN Giedd
      April 6, 2014 | 10:06 am

My 11 year old Golden Retriever was on Ivanhoe and got heartwarming and than he died. We saw commercial that said be careful of your heart worm medications but I honestly thought it was OK. We had him checked up every 6 months. Never got a test Saying he was Positive for HW. I never took a break when giving it to him either.

Do I feel cheated Yes!!!! But also Bleu had a good life and I don’t hold grudges.. life is too short! Just remember no matter what have your dogs checked annually.

3. 6pm coupon 2013
    November 27, 2013 | 6:40 pm

Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads
    up. The text in your content seem to be running off the screen
    in Chrome. I’m not sure if this is a format issue
    or something to do with internet browser compatibility
    but I thought I’d post to let you know. The style and design look
    great though! Hope you get the issue solved soon. Cheers

4. Darlene veillon
    October 24, 2013 | 11:53 pm

My 2 dogs were tested for heart worms,and one of them have heart worms.they were on your heart worm med. hope you help,with the shots they have to take now because of your meds.

5. Darlene Veillon
    October 24, 2013 | 11:50 pm

My 2 dogs were on this heart worn medsand now have heartworms,will you help with the shots to treats them now.

6. Julia
    October 16, 2013 | 2:03 am

These guides do exist, and some of them are incredible easy to make at home.
    Extracted from the fruit as a major component of Garcinia cambogia for weight loss does garcinia cambogia
    work is becoming increasingly popular. This simple exercise can have a lasting effect on your body.

7. Verona
    October 15, 2013 | 10:32 pm

Sony’s Xperia Z and the bezel above and below the screen is that little bit bigger, but the reality is it is
    a product of the best ppi claim company products by purchasing one of the
    highest resolution. Very quickly, if you are looking for fixed income, and leaves them adrift.
    Euro positions stabilized a bit with net shorts reduced slightly to 2, 500, right up
    to a period of either 12 or 2 years.

8. http://www.youtube.com
    October 7, 2013 | 8:13 pm

Adult female cats mark their territory when in heat, while pregnant, and while
    nursing. Sprinkle Capsules  this is the ideal supplement for
    small dogs. The implementation of this sulfur compound can also
    mean longer-term maintaining of a more challenging physical
    effort – which, is known, should be combines with any dietary
    approach to losing weight.

9. Nicky
    September 10, 2013 | 11:16 pm

As a vet technician in a clinic we’ve had to deal with heartworm test recalls. The last product was Wormshield and it was the same reason as Ivermectin Plus, just not enough medication in the pills for the upper percentile of the weight class.

However, both my clinic who sold the product and the manufacturer were very accommodating. We did a free heartworm test, replaced the heartworm meds, only 1 dog tested positive and the manufacturer is paying for the treatment of this dog (all meds and office visits etc).

So don’t get super pissed because I’m sure the manufacturer who is owning up to their mistake will help if your dog does test positive.

Just check your serial number and replace the meds (if your heartworm test is negative).

10. Lynn
    September 4, 2013 | 6:07 pm

I found this information on the manufacturer’s Website in regard to where the product is made…
    “One of the world’s largest laboratories dedicated exclusively to animal health – Virbac develops, manufactures and distributes a wide range of products and services intended for the prevention and treatment of common pathologies in companion animals. Virbac Corporation U.S., located in Fort Worth, Texas, is a leading companion animal health company offering products in the heartworm, tick and flea, dermatology, antibiotic, endocrinology, senior care, behavior, critical care nutrition, and oral hygiene markets. Virbac products are available to pet owners through their veterinarian. For more information about Virbac Animal Health and the company’s products, please visit http://www.virbacvet.com. – See more at: http://www.virbacvet.com/communications/article/virbac-announces-voluntary-recall-notice-for-one-lot-of-iverhart-max#sthash.NFqagYo2.dpuf

11. Bonnie
    September 4, 2013 | 5:30 pm

I have one tablet left with a recalled lot # for one of my 3 dogs…this one just had a negative heartworm test within the month, and I just bought 6 months of trifexis for each, so not going to use that last one…however I think it’s probably ok.

12. Dawn
    September 2, 2013 | 2:05 am

I have one more pill for my dog to take i will ne goin to my vet to have him put her on a different brand. We pay alot of money to keep our dog safe an we have to hear about this now. My dog i notice has been havin that cough and im like no shes on heartworm so now i have to get her checked. If she has heartworm u will be hearin from me and u will be payin all my pet bills!

13. SSETTI
    September 1, 2013 | 9:49 am

MY DOG TESTED POSTIVE FOR HEARTWORD AND I HAD HER ON HEARTWORM IVERHART 12 MONTHS OF THE YEAR IS THERE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT TO MAKE THEM PAY ARE VET BILLS

• JCS65
      October 2, 2013 | 4:48 pm

How much did your dog weigh? They told me to have my vet call if they need to be re-tested and they will pay for it…..which they should!

14. Dog Flipping | Conscious Companion
    August 28, 2013 | 7:23 pm

[...] Iverhart Chewable Heartworm Prevention [...]

15. P. Ewing
    August 28, 2013 | 8:50 am

There is an alternative people! Your paying for the convenience of having two meds in one pill. Take the time and dose out an intestinal dewormer based on the results of a yearly fecal test and then figure out how to suspend the right portions of ivermectin and propylene. (I’m blessed to have a vet who’s willing to share this information with me because I rescue so many dogs. Find a vet who cares more about the dog than his bottom line!)You dose that out according to your dogs weight. Once you have the formula it’s pennies per month to treat for heart worm and intestinal worms. Buying products like Iverhart is expensive and questionable, apparently. A word of caution…The phrase “White feet, don’t treat” applies. Those dogs, for some reason, can have adverse reactions to ivermectin. I’ve been doing this for 9 years and my dogs are happy, healthy and worm free.

16. Dailis Melbarde
    August 27, 2013 | 4:59 pm

We all must remember, “You can’t post anything on the internet that isn’t true”. !0 percent, really, Okay who failed math in school ?

17. Nicki
    August 26, 2013 | 2:44 pm

Okay, first of all, don’t panic here people. It’s not like the product is TAINTED or POISONOUS! I called the 800# and they assured me that it was strictly a precaution on the part of the manufacturer. They said, “per our testing, the product did not meet our requirements for efficacy for the UPPER 10% OF THE BODY WEIGHT” What that means is that my 68-pound dog who takes the 51-100 pound dosage IS NOT AT RISK HERE! If my dog weighed 90 pounds or more, then yes, the product should be replaced and move on! I called 1-800-PETMEDS and they couldn’t have been more accommodating! They offered to replace what pills I have left AND refund me (or replace) the pills I had purchased and already used! Seriously here, haven’t any of you irate people made a mistake ~ let alone fessed up to it to the point of going above and beyond to rectify it? My dog is like my child and I would not do anything to harm her or jeopardize her health (hell, I won’t even use the generic Rimadyl!), but let’s calm down here and be realistic! As far as not using THIS product again, certainly that is your prerogative. My best friend had her dog on a totally different product and gave the medication every single month since the dog was a puppy and STILL the dog got Lyme disease. Nothing is 100% – we just do the best we can!

18. Debbi
    August 25, 2013 | 4:25 pm

This is TOTALLY UNEXCEPTABLE….. I agree with the irate people… I have completely lost faith in ALL the pet food companies out there, and feed home cooked diet… NOW, we cannot trust the companies that make our pet drugs…. This is beyond disgusting….. I guess I will have to look in other countries now for my pet meds, because the US companies are not trust worthy!!!! It really IS ALL ABOUT THE $$$$…. YOu will NOT kisee another cent from me……

19. Michelle
    August 24, 2013 | 11:58 am

Business as usual! I agree WTF???????

20. jeannie laudermilk
    August 22, 2013 | 8:48 pm

my dachshund is on this the lot number is 121158 he is 15 lb.Is this one safe and effective

21. Concerned doggy-momma
    August 22, 2013 | 6:04 pm

Why is this not listed on their web site?

22. Brenda Nichols
    August 22, 2013 | 9:16 am

Well this is interesting, I use the product but do not keep the lot # info after I give the dogs the meds. So now what?

23. Josie Self
    August 22, 2013 | 8:33 am

Is this one Iverhart Plus (up to 25 #) on recall Lot 121281.

24. CookieToddo
    August 21, 2013 | 6:00 pm

Where are these products made in?

25. Joyce
    August 21, 2013 | 5:12 pm

My dogs can not take this…All 3 of them got sick and laid around like they were dying..

26. Ally Davenport
    August 21, 2013 | 12:51 pm

The ones I gave my dog ARE on the list.. Hope he’s safe… Won’t be gettin that brand again..

27. Alexandra Hernandez
    August 21, 2013 | 12:01 am

i can tell you i be more than pissed right now! i try everything to protect my babys and now this! tomorrow i will get a new heartworm test done and all i can say better hope my babys are fine! first of all why i hear so late from this! do you know how long my babys get this stuff already and of course it had to be one of the numbers who match! i actually think that you guys should pay for that heartworm test from my 3 little ones!

28. Alisha Reine
    August 20, 2013 | 10:26 pm

My dog was on this medication and at her annual
    Vet check up tested positive for heart worms.
    We administered the medication on time each month.
    Now she is on antibiotics and other heart worm
    Medication hoping this will kill them. What compensation
    Is bring giving to those dogs who are not infected due to
    This medication failure!!! This is NOT acceptable !!
    Please contact me.

Alisha
    985-233-9997

• KK
      September 9, 2013 | 12:27 pm

This is just a place to comment on the article. You’ll need to call the number given at the end of the article above. Hope that helps

29. Deborah O'Neill
    August 20, 2013 | 10:07 pm

I just purchased 2 boxes of 6 chewable Iverhart Max Lot # 130545 51-100lb for my Great Pyrenees who weighs 98 lbs. Are these subject to the recall? Do they provide adequate protection?

30. mary bateman
    August 20, 2013 | 8:03 pm

I just checked my last full box of Iverhart Plus and unfortunately it has serial number 120289 with an expiration of 02/14 How should I proceed to get this replaced with one that is correct. I had ordered several boxes all at the same time and have been using it for my kennel. What is their risk that they were not fully protected? We raise and show Irish Setters. Their weights range from 55-70 at the highest. Please advise me on this matter asap please.

mary Bateman
    Flamingacre Irish Setters
    207-646-8589 home
    207-251-3372 cell

• KK
      September 9, 2013 | 12:25 pm

31. Robert Hindenlang
    August 20, 2013 | 7:16 pm

Can not trust a damn thing anymore, WTF.. I trust you with my dogs health and life and this is controling your product for safe use…… If my dog gets sick from heartworms, I am suing yor asses for everything you got you bastards…. Lucky my hands can not reach you in person…. I will no longer trust or buy your products and I am passingthis info to everybody and anybody

32. Cheryl Kicklighter
    August 20, 2013 | 6:33 pm

Are there any others to recall? I have a box of Iverhart Max.

33. Laruel Morgart
    August 20, 2013 | 6:31 pm

How do we get our money back, we bought this product from Pet Meds

34. Phyllis Nunn
    August 20, 2013 | 3:34 pm

I would like to know WHERE these actual chewable tablets are being produced? Is it in the U.S.? Does anyone know?

• Brenda Bailey
      September 1, 2013 | 5:18 pm

My package says made in USA, but it’s not part of the recall.

• courtney
      October 7, 2013 | 2:57 pm

My dog was given Wormshield (made by virbac) lot #120450 last year july thru dec 2012. exp 03/2014. She now has tested positive for heartworm. Banfield in Batavia IL gave the prescription and have stalled treatment because they want virbac to pay for the treatment. Feeling hopeless and annoyed that Banfield will not start treatment even though they prescribed the medication that cause my dog to contract heartworm. i live west of Chicago, you may be able to find locations distributed by lot number. Also your provider may have a list of lot numbers recalled.

• Melissa
        October 29, 2013 | 3:17 pm

Just a nitpick, sorry, but the medication did not cause your pet to get heartworm disease. The medication failed & allowed mosquitoes to give your pet heartworm disease. Heartworms come from mosquitoes, not medications or lack thereof.