Should I Be Giving My Dog Glucosamine Supplements?

dogpill

Many people, especially those suffering from arthritis, have been taking glucosamine these days to help soothe their aching joints or prevent the disease. Because glucosamine works well with humans, a lot of dog owners have been wondering if administering the same compound can help their arthritic dogs as well.

Effects of Glucosamine in Dogs

Glucosamine is basically a compound that is naturally found in the healthy cartilage and the synovial fluid in the body. It has been found to be essential when it comes to maintaining healthy gristles in the bone, and even more so when it comes to repairing damages in it. In dogs, glucosamine is often used as an efficient food supplement that is utilized in treating arthritis and hip dysplasia. You have to understand that your pet’s joints and ligaments are prone to old age deterioration; leading to pain and problems with mobility. As a result, your pooch becomes less active, thereby, causing another health issue due to inadequate exercise.

Glucosamine for dogs is basically administered as a dietary supplement, and it appears that dogs, especially the bigger ones, tend to respond well to it. As a matter of fact, this supplement can be very beneficial to your pooch’s overall health; saving you from lots of distress as a dog parent. Because dogs experiencing arthritis are usually in so much pain, glucosamine can now be successfully utilized to give them relief from the discomfort at the same time make them feel a whole lot better. So if you’re not sure if you really need to give Fido glucosamine, then stop being hesitant. Talk to your vet and let your pooch keep on enjoying life even at his old age by giving him this supplement.

Giving Glucosamine

Once you spot any signs of arthritis in your pooch, you need to talk to your vet immediately about how you can help him get relief from all the discomfort brought about by the disease, and if glucosamine supplements could work for him. There are lots of glucosamine products for dogs that are available in the market in the form of treats, pills and liquids. Just see to it that you pick the best by considering your pooch’s breed as well as his specific needs. Before giving Fido glucosamine, ensure that you consulted your vet and he has given you his “go” signal. In addition, there are times that glucosamine is better given to dogs as a preventive measure. Remember that it’s always better to keep your pooch healthy and active than waiting for him to actually suffer from any joint problem.

Finally, while it may be true that glucosamine can greatly help your ailing pooch, it is crucial that you do not rely merely on this compound and other dietary supplements. Healthy diet, sufficient exercise, and lots of TLC will always be your best weapon against the disease.

17 Responses to Should I Be Giving My Dog Glucosamine Supplements?
  1. Sophie
    May 26, 2014 | 5:32 am

Iv read a lot about glucosamine and I know that its really helpful for dogs. My cousin’s dog is having some issues with moving around as he previously did and we suspect that he has some joint issues. We hadn’t used glucosamine till now but I did some research on this on this site http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DBAOZV6/ie=UTF8?m=ADE61CS5ZCK11&keywords=&tag=cfx01-20 and I came across this blog as well so I got convinced that we should go for it. Now my cousin luckily found it at the drug store near us and thats doing great. We love to see our dog play around again.

2. Michael Walkowski
    March 4, 2014 | 2:39 pm

I administered, with great success, to my One year old Dalmatian AND myself! The supplement is Cetyl Myristoleate from Dr. Diehl’s website: http://www.cetylmyristoleate.com/
    My Dalmatian is now 13.5 years old and we are both doing well! Glucosamine and Chondroitin and especially Rimadyl was a nightmare!
    Not every dog is alike. My dog has a very sensitive stomach and we have been constantly tweaking his feeding schedule to allow for a balanced life.

3. Jenny Judge
    February 28, 2014 | 2:58 am

My dogs, 2 greyhounds, 1 golden retriever cross & an elderly tibetan terrier (all rescues) have Forever Freedom in their food, an excellent aloe vera drinking gel with added glucosamine, chondroitin and msm and it really has made such a difference to their mobility… and as a most welcome extra has reduced any “wind” problems too!!

4. C A Lee
    February 27, 2014 | 6:03 pm

Glucosamine has made a huge difference in our 8-year old Collie. On some cold evenings he was unable to get up on his hind legs; the vet diagnosed him with arthritis in his hips. He has received a daily tablet for 6 weeks, and now he runs, jumps on the bed, and easily finished a 3-mile walk/run a few days ago. I was skeptical, but now I’m so grateful to see his pain lessened and his mobility restored. What a blessing!

• Liz Castro
      April 3, 2014 | 1:32 pm

HI my Labrador start having pain on her back paws. I would like to know what is the name of the Glucosamine please and t and the dose. Please and Thank you so much.Liz

5. Carlo Succi
    February 27, 2014 | 2:53 pm

Dog foods alone cannot deliver optimum nutrition. Vetraceuticals has this unique supplement in a powder form that you spinkle over the dog or cat food. It provides powerful antioxidants, live enzymes, probiotics, vitamins, phytonutrients and micronutrients that help build dogs’ strength and immunity to help counteract disease and premature aging. Wonderful testimonies of dogs finding relief from arthritis, allergies, itching/scratching and much more.

6. Sue
    February 27, 2014 | 2:07 pm

Glucosamine works wonders for my 12 year old Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. (And for me for that matter.) However, for my recently deceased Golden Retriever, she was found to be one of the rare dogs who was allergic to Glucosamine and related compounds. Her tongue would turn black and she would stop eating. None of the vets who interacted with her recognized this allergy. She had to be removed from all of her meds and slowly put back on them one by one to discover this.

7. Haley
    February 27, 2014 | 1:17 pm

I have a couple older labs and I’ve been giving them InflamAway HA, which has glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and HA – I sure do see a difference in how they are moving – they are both so much better now! I’m a fan :)

8. Manyu
    February 14, 2014 | 1:59 pm

My dog Rasta (6yr old Boxer) developed pain in his left rear knee and the vet recommended putting him on glucosamine cuz he thought he had a torn acl. ALthough the glucosamine took about a month to work, he is now much better. Doesnt limp about as much and isnt as stiff.

Definitely worth it for me.

9. Ivan Boatwright
    January 2, 2014 | 9:19 am

I have one that takes it every morning and it has made a world of difference in his ability to get around.

10. Joy Rowe
    December 31, 2013 | 9:27 pm

Anything you can do to make your family pet more comfotable is good advice. Talk to your vet first.

11. Dan
    December 31, 2013 | 2:44 pm

I’ve been giving my dog OPC formula with Glucosamine. It really helps my dog join and bones. Great dog supplement give my dog a lot of energy because it has antioxidant. It is in powder and very convenient. Just put it on the dog food and my dog love it.

12. Stevie Swendsen
    August 30, 2013 | 3:38 pm

I’ve got a rat terrier with severe bag issues. Not even sure how he got them. But for a long time he has pain in the lower back. I’ve recently got him on some glucosmine and other supplements/foods…even his senior dog food has some glucosomine. Thanks for confirming that this can help a pooch. So far I’ve seen some improvement. I notice when I stop giving him the glucosmine his back acts up again. It’s a daily thing we have to watch with him.

13. [...] About Glucosamine For Dogs: Should I Be Giving My Dog Glucosamine What is Glucosamine and Chondroitin? Glucosamine Chondroitin For [...]

14. Margaret Willard
    December 29, 2012 | 12:53 am

Both my German Shepherds, ages 5 & 8, have hip dysplasia & they both get a combo glucosomine/condrointon pill twice a day. They are both pretty active, considering their hip problems & I think the combo really works for them.

• Wendy Jenkins
      December 31, 2013 | 10:29 am

I agree with the glucosamine helping dogs, but have read that condrointon is suspected of causing cancer in humans so I don’t take the risk of giving to my elderly dogs.

15. Cheri Fettes
    December 28, 2012 | 2:53 pm

When my old beagle could no longer jump up on the bed, I started giving him a small portion of glucosemine dissolved in water, sprinkled on his food. He is now able to jump on the bed, run around with the younger puppy, play and be happy. He’s also lost a bit of weight because he can run around now.