Food Guidelines

INFOGRAPHIC: Thanksgiving Day Foods That Can Kill Your Dog

Thanksgiving is a time of love and laughter, of family and friends, of being thankful, and of course, for stuffing ourselves silly with a smorgasbord of Turkey Day treats!

That said, if your family and friends includes the four-legged variety, make sure the only foods they eat this Thanksgiving are healthy and safe. Lurking within that pumpkin pie is a deadly danger for your dog.

Use our handy-dandy infographic as a reminder for yourself and your houseguests on what’s safe (and what’s not!) for your dog to eat.

1. Jim

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:04 am

Oh man I fed my dog all this yesterday.

2. shawnee poodle

Dec 7, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Maybe read the whole thing again. For those who keep arguing that their dog has eaten whatever for whatever amount of years. There are lots of things that dogs can eat! Why risk the tears and money as you watch the euthenasia needle slide in because you took that risk? Pancreatitis cost a couple grand as you watch your dog of IVs for a few days. The lil guys(especially under 10lbs) have very fragile systems. As a groomer of 22 years I have way too many tragic loss stories that could have been prevented.

• Robin

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:19 am

Well said. I had a doxie that got pancreatitis from just a ‘lick’ of something she shouldn’t have had. She died a few months later from what I believe was trauma as a result of the treatment that she had to have. That was almost 14 yrs ago and I still feel guilty about it. I try to tell family & friends to avoid giving their pets things that could make them sick but they don’t listen. Why take the chance? The financial and emotional toll is too great!

• Sandra

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:25 am

We had an older dog develop “chronic” Pancreatitis after raiding the trash for roasted chicken remains. It is NOT fun, for you or your pet. His digestive tract was off and he would have repeated bouts when-ever given some foods (not necessarily fatty ones). Have a responsible adult or older teen play with the pets while preparing the feast and afterwards for the clean-up to keep them out of harm’s way.

3. Ellen Hatch

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:38 am

We often share a little of our food with our dog (manfred, the wonder dog) We figure it makes him feel more like part of the pack if he shares in the pack food supply but we are very careful and try to keep up with what is good for dogs and what is not. checking every article we see on what is good or bad for them. Interesting about nuts. Whood a thunk nuts are bad for dogs, but we never gave him those anyway.. Thank goodness.

• Amanda

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Most nuts are bad for dogs but they are able to have Peanuts.

4. Sandie

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I don’t get it, why would anyone want to give their dog things they really shouldn’t have anyhow, garlic pizza, nuts, etc., just feed him what he is supposed to have period, seems to me it will save alot of guessing, and heartbreak. Our Beagle, is fed what the vet recommended, and once in a while a little dog treat, NO table food at all, glad to say he is a healthy 4 year old Beagle, happy and full of energy. We want to lengthen his life as long as we can!

• tracey

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:25 am

If going to feed a dog what they are meant to eat then stop buying commercial food.. raw fed is the way they are suppose to eat.. Not that processed stuff filled with useless carbs.. protein is what they need..

5. H.Patrick

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:24 am

I’ve had dogs all my life and I’m a very senior citizen. I have fed my dogs just about everything, before we ever learned what can kill them. Raw cabbage, various nuts, walnuts mostly on a daily basis, grapes, raw veggies of all kinds, ice-cream, potato chips, turkey, spaghetti with tomato sauce, chocolate chip cookies, and on and on—before learning about some things not to give them. Likewise, in my youth our dogs got table scraps daily. I don’t think they even made dogfood in the 1930’s!!!!!!! My dogs all lived to be a ripe old age, healthy all the way..

My only pet that died at a young age, was my miniature schnauzer, Freddie. He was 10 yrs. old and finally I had him put to sleep 2 years ago, after about 6 months of various illnesses. It started with breathing problems never diagnosed?????, kidney stones, stomach upsets and finally leukemia. My Freddie got everything available for dogs. All the recommended shots, flea/tick control, heart worm medicine, every shot every year. He started getting sick, (in retrospect) after I treated him with those yummie chicken jerky poisons made in China!!! And besides all this he got dog food as the main part of his intake. I was thinking that dog food was the best for him in our progressive world of inventions.

Since Freddie died I firmly believe that dogs don’t need all that crap, immunizations galore, flea, heart worm control, etc. etc. No wonder dogs live shorter lives. I’ve researched a lot and now feed them raw chicken, naturalistic dog food (like Paul Newman stuff) and use common sense about the walnuts that my baby schnauzer loves and minced raw veggies and so on. Moderation and sensible variations along with steady and stable regular food. I would keep them on raw diets completely but it is a huge commitment and unfortunately too complicated at this time of my life.

The only time my baby schnauzer vomits, is when she eats too much rabbit or bird poop when we go walking in the park every day. She’s sneaky about it. I can’t always catch her in time!!!

Good luck to all of you with your babies.

6. Jeanne Bashore

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:30 pm

They make dog food and cat food for a reason. People food can even kill people. Just because it didn’t bother one dog or another means nothing. Why chance something which is so fatally experimental on your 4 footed kids? Not to forget…dog and cat food can kill dogs and cats. Talk to your vet and stick to a plan. Nobody is perfect but a little mistake or an animal breaking into garbage can ultimately be fatal. Just use caution.
    PS Did anyone think that “Their balls” was NOT a mistake? Too funny. LOL

7. Colleen Faehy Reich

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Thanks for the list.

8. jody

Nov 28, 2013 at 7:03 pm

my son works as a vet tech and said NO people food to our lab!

9. livingny

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Think everyone! I see people post “oh I’ve given my dogs _____ and not one ever died from it” posts everywhere! THINK! Certain foods can kill your dog or can kill your dog over time! We all love our animals and want the longest and healthiest life for them! SO… remember that your dog is not starving so giving them certain foods will not distress them. In fact lots of love or hugs and attention is just as good as a treat to them! Here is a list from the ASPCA of foods that hurt your pets. If you’ve given your dogs ANY of these foods count yourself lucky that it wasn’t an expensive mistake and your dog is alive today. Also remember that renal failure can slowly happen and in your dog’s old age you may have extra expenses because their kidneys are failing but that gets explained away as old age. BUT if you didn’t feel your dog certain foods over the years, your dog may never had suffered from kidney issues in their old age! If you’re not sure about certain foods, best not to feed it to your dog. You don’t want to see them sick and they won’t mysteriously die if you don’t give it to them in the first place!

Enjoy all the upcoming holidays everyone! 🙂

10. Katie

Nov 27, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I’m surprised raisins aren’t on this list. Don’t forget raisins (and grapes) are very toxic as well!