Americans are in love with their collegiate sports teams. No doubt about it. And for every faithfully-followed team is a much-loved mascot behind it. More often than not, this lucky charm is a frenzied yell leader kitted out in a fascinating costume. However, some colleges use real live animals to pep up fans along with the coach and players on the sidelines. Can you name some popular dog mascots in college athletics?
Campuses in the US with dog mascots:
The bulldog is far and away the most famous canine college mascot, however, you can also find a few great surprises in the following mix.
Bulldog Mascots (some in costume and some are living and breathing).
· Ben of McPherson College in McPherson, Kansas
· Bruiser of Adrian College in Adrian, Michigan
· Brutus the Bulldog of Ferris State University, Big Rapids, Michigan
· Buddy of University of Redlands of Redlands, California
· Bully of Mississippi State in Starkville, Mississippi
· Butler Blue II of Butler University in Indianapolis, Indiana
· Colonel Rock “Rocky” of Western Illinois University in Macomb, Illinois
· Duke Dog of James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia
· Handsome Dan of Yale in New Haven, Connecticut
· Jack of Georgetown University in Washington, D.C.
· Lulu and Mac T. Bulldog of Gardner-Webb University in Boiling Springs, North Carolina
· Rocky the Bulldog of UNC-Asheville
· Spike of Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa
· Spike of Gonzaga University in Spokane, Washington
· Spike and Simone of Truman State University in Missouri.
· Tarzan of University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez
· Tech of Louisiana Tech University in Ruston, Louisiana
· Timeout of Fresno State in Fresno, California
· Uga of University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia
· Blizzard T. Husky of Michigan Tech
· Harry the Husky of University of Washington
· Jonathan of U Conn
· King Husky of Northeastern
· Mingo of Houston Baptist University
· Roongo of Bloomsburg University of PA
· Victor E. Husky of Northern Illinois University
Other Dog Breed Mascots.
· The Southern Illinois Carbondale has a Saluki
· Texas A & M has Reveille which is a Collie
· Siena College has Bernie, a St. Bernard
· Boston University has Rhett which is a Boston Terrier
· Carnegie Mellon has a Scottish Terrier
· Agnes Scott College also has a Scottie
· University of Albany has a Great Dane
· University of Indianapolis has a Greyhound
· John Jay College of Criminal Justice has a Bloodhound
· University of Tennessee has Smokey, a Bluetick Coonhound
Is your college on the list? Or, do you know another canine college mascot we’ve left off the list?