US States With the Most & Least Pet Owners

dogwithmap

When thinking about where to live, great dog owners most certainly consider their furkids in the big decision. You may want to be surrounded by other dog lovers, like yourself, or be in an area that caters to people with pets in addition to finding a dog-friendly neighborhood.

With that in mind, you might be surprised to learn which states have the most pet owners (YAY!) and which have the least (BOO!) from the American Veterinary Medical Foundation‘s U.S. Pet Ownership & Demographics Sourcebook.

According to their survey, there are about 70 million pet dogs living in America, with 63% of dog owners considering their pets to be a member of the family, spending an average of $468 a year for their dog’s veterinary care. (Seems low, right? Yeah, we thought so, too.) It’s interesting to note, however, that on average, people spent more on their dog’s veterinary care than horse owners spent on their horse’s vet care! Seems dog owners have deeper pockets when it comes to the care of our furkids!

But what we found most intriguing was their section which detailed pet ownership rates in each state. Vermont tops the charts with over 70% of its residents owning pets, while Washington D.C. trails behind with just under 22% pet ownership. The AVMA speculates that the type of residences most common in the state are a big factor. With plenty of rural and suburban dwellings, states like Vermont, New Mexico, and Maine are high in the number of household pets, while more urban states like D.C. and New York have fewer furry residents.

Where does your state rank in pet ownership? Check the lists below to see if you and your dog are one of many, or one in a million:

States with the Highest Pet Ownership:

California – 52.9%
Minnesota – 53%
Rhode Island – 53%

15 Responses to US States With the Most & Least Pet Owners
  1. signal reception
    April 28, 2014 | 7:50 am

Its not my first time to go to see this website, i am visiting
    this site dailly and take good information from here every day.

2. Linda Baker Scheider
    March 1, 2014 | 8:07 am

My home/heart state, Vermont is highest but where I am living now (taking care of my Mom) is Pennsylvania and it’s not on the list. Does that mean it’s in the middle? Not the highest nor the lowest? We have two cats and will be finding a dog in the spring…. :)

3. judyshone
    February 28, 2014 | 10:55 pm

they are all over 50%. That seems really a good sign actually.

4. Margaret
    February 28, 2014 | 8:10 pm

$468.00?? Trifexis alone for a year costs $240.00. I know, you can go cheaper but here in SC I think that’s the best way to protect my dog.

5. ashley
    February 28, 2014 | 7:08 pm

I live in Texas and every one I know has pets and we didn’t even make the list I have 4 dogs 1 cat and a snake. My sister has 6 dogs a pig a cat and so many chicken and now 2 ducks

6. […] By Brandy Arnold […]

7. Melinda
    February 28, 2014 | 5:14 pm

I love my home, but my state being in the top ten isn’t necessarily a good thing. I have to wonder what percentage of dogs in Arkansas are chained up in someone’s yard.

• Suzie
      February 28, 2014 | 7:40 pm

I know. My mixed breed terrier/beagle is from Arkansas. He was on the internet in a puppy rescue and they flew him to us 1100 miles away. The lady said he and all the other pups in that area had no chance of a decent life there. He’s our spoiled baby now 6 yrs later. Wish I could have adopted more of them.

8. Andi Lee
    May 20, 2013 | 8:44 pm

Im SOOOO shocked by NY and NJ as I work and live in each state, respectively! I swear I know few people who DONT have pets/dogs ;)

9. Donald Cohen
    May 20, 2013 | 5:13 pm

PET owners? Or DOG owners? They’re not the same. I’d like to know the percentage of dog owners per state specifically.

10. Mary
    May 20, 2013 | 3:45 pm

I thought Michigan and Florida would be at least on one of the lists.

• Ismael Ramos Roman
      February 28, 2014 | 10:02 pm

I have four dogs, six cats, a snake, a lizard,and a frog. A lot of my friends and acquaintances have several animals. I sure can’t see how Florida didn’t make the list.

11. Karleen Gengler
    May 20, 2013 | 3:33 pm

I’m embarrassed that My state (Illinois) is so far down on the list.We are friendly and loving people in Il.Maybe it’s because farmers don’t count the many dogs and cats that they have as pets.They consider them working animals.We have dogs and cats,my children and grandchildren are all animal owners.

12. MaryJane Veach Mrs.
    January 24, 2013 | 6:14 pm

I would have thought Indiana would be there for some of the most pets. Seems we have a lot of and different pets.

13. candy
    January 24, 2013 | 3:33 pm

I can understand why Washington DC has a lower pet population Many people (like congressmen do not live there all year long.