When Your Dog Eats Cat Poop

When Your Dog Visits Your Cat's Litter Box

If you’re like us and have both dog and cat pets, then you have probably experienced what happens when your dog eats cat poop. When they feast on the cat’s “goodies”, well, it’s just…I don’t know, disgusting. We would definitely want our dogs to avoid being in this kind of mess, and that is why in this article, we are going to discuss on the reasons why this happens and how it can be prevented.

As weird as it sounds, dogs actually find cat stools very appealing and attractive, and this is why they always look for a cat’s litter box. They think it’s very tasty! It was explained this way by our veterinarian: because cat feces contain high amounts of protein and fat and extra elements, dogs have cravings for them. And now that we know why Fido is a litter box junkie, it’s time we put an end to it. He also took pains to assure us that it is not normally a danger to the dog, if the cat is healthy.

When Your Dog Eats Cat Poop

Although cat stools normally do not come with health risks for dogs, there are still potential problems, such as possible parasites, and some stools may also cause dogs to have diarrhea or constipation. Some dogs may have gastrointestinal problems and strain in defecating due to having eaten them. Other symptoms may occur such as lethargy or nausea, and even appetite loss.  If such symptoms occur in your dog, contact your vet right away.

So how do you keep your dog away from the litter box?

The answer is simple – you just have to know how to outsmart your dog. First, try covering the litter box (when not in use by your cat) with a piece of cloth that is not currently in use, preferably one that can stop the smell of the cat stools. Fortunately in our case, and old towel covering the entrance to the box worked — the dog would go sniff for several days, but never tried to enter. After several days, she finally quit even the sniffing. There are also covered litter boxes available in the market for your convenience. Some of these are even too small for a dog to fit in but large enough for the cat to stay.

Because cats have more agility and flexibility than dogs, try putting it in a space where only your cat can reach it. You can put some baby gates, obstacles/barriers or small fences so that only your cat can pass through, but not your dog.

A chain or doorframe can also be used to narrow down the space where your cat’s litter box is located, so that only your cat can pass through without getting disturbed. Latches can hold doors and make them partially open – you can try this too.

As a last resort, you can also try cleaning up the litter box in regular intervals and more often. In this way, your dog will not have much opportunity to get his “treats” as you have already cleaned them up. Although there can still be some goodies left, there will not be as many as when you don’t regularly maintain it.

If none of these work for you when your dog when your dog eats cat poop, there is still help available, according to an article on the eHow.com website:

Purchase a chemical solution you can feed your cat to discourage coprophagia. The main ingredient is glutamic acid, which causes the poop to become bitter to taste.

Visit your vet for a prescription for glutamic acid or other medications that have been clinically proven to do the trick.

By putting these tips into practice, you are ensuring your dog’s diet doesn’t get messy and you will eliminate the occasions when your dog eats cat poop.

Have you had this problem? Please share any tricks you may have used to stop Fido’s visits!

26 Responses to When Your Dog Eats Cat Poop
  1. pamela
    May 16, 2014 | 5:45 pm

hi my dogs eat cat poop not good when they lick you my dogs eat rice vegs rawl meat cook to my dods eat cat poop from out side they find it in the garden what can i do to stop this ..

2. jeremy
    April 13, 2014 | 3:35 pm

My dogs follow our cat around like he is a soft-serve machine, when the cat drops a fresh loaf its like he turns the “hot and ready now” sign on…

3. idiot
    February 1, 2014 | 8:56 pm

hi my name is tai glenn. i am an idiot i kno nothing.

4. Dennis Speer
    January 23, 2014 | 1:12 am

just think how much you can save on doggie treats?

5. Dennis Speer
    January 23, 2014 | 1:10 am

just think how much you can save on dog treats?

6. Cat hater
    December 23, 2013 | 1:06 am

I don’t and would never have a cat. My dog eats cat crap from my backyard when she goes outside to do her business herself. Why is it ok for someone elses cat to wander into my yard and crap all it wants in my yard? I keep my dog and animals in my yard. My animals don’t crap in other’s yards. How do you stop a dog from eating cat crap from neighborhood cats that won’t stay out of my yard!?! I am very close to trapping cats one at a time and taking them to the shelter. If someone doesn’t care enough for their cat to keep it in their home/yard, then it probably isn’t a good home for a pet anyways.

• Jodi
      March 11, 2014 | 2:40 pm

Um yeah kidnapping other people’s cats is illegal. Just learn to try to deal with your neighbors and their cats……….and try to get along with other people in the world maybe?

• LS
        April 10, 2014 | 7:06 am

I also live in a city where it is illegal to let animals roam free. Ferrel cats use my yard as a litter box and I’m concerned my dog will get fleas or a parasite from these cats passing through my yard. There are at lease 5 and if blocking off my yard doesn’t help then my next option is to turn them in to the local shelter. These cats are not spayed, neutered, or vaccinated and it creates a problem for the animals to do actually have a home. Sure some of the cats may have a home but they can’t be left out in the wild to damage people property or pets. Would you let your dog run lose at night, I doubt it. It’s irresponsible and illegal.

• LS
          April 10, 2014 | 7:07 am

Sorry for typos, I’m using my phone

7. louise Pallet
    November 26, 2013 | 9:14 am

I put chilipeppers near the catpoop as soon as i see my dog go near it.

8. anonanonanonanon
    November 21, 2013 | 11:03 am

My dog eats poop from feral cats!!!!!!!! I can’t keep my dog from going outside to do his business!!!!!! What’s a poor girl to do????????

• The wife
      November 24, 2013 | 8:50 pm

My cat does the same thing. There are so many cats in my neighborhood they always use the bathroom in my backyard and my dog loves the cat poop gross.. I don’t know what I’m gonna do..same problem..

9. Laura
    November 20, 2013 | 4:12 pm

My problem is similar to yours Linda. We have an indoor/outdoor cat with no litter box, he goes in the yard. Our lot is heavily wooded with pine trees and english ivy so it’s impossible to figure out where. You can bet money that the dogs will find it, though! I’ve heard they make a chemical to put it your cat’s food that will make it taste bad, wonder if that’s worth a try?

10. Linda
    October 28, 2013 | 11:44 pm

I live on an acre in the country and needless to say there are cat feces. My pup can’t wait to go outside and feast on them. Unless I keep him on a leash I can’t police his activity. So you think the only solution is to make sure your cats are wormed and don’t worry about it. He is fed a high quality dog food and a supplement. It’s like he prefers the cat feces. He down eat dog feces just cat. Any other suggestions.

11. problem solver
    October 12, 2013 | 12:28 am

My cats were (people) toilet trained and did well, but eventually decided to use my oriental rug or bath tub. Now back to the litter box, and the dog starts eating their feces. So I just purchased a $60 piece of furniture to hide the litter box in. What a life!

12. Larry
    September 1, 2013 | 5:00 pm

‘As a last resort’ clean up the litter box?????? This should be the first thing to do. It makes a much happier cat and removes the source of this problem. I scoop into a small, 13 inch kitchen garbage bag that I keep in a small metal trash can next to the litter box with a clothes pin on it to keep it sealed up. Also, scoop the litter box no mater what hits it. You cat/s will be much more happy and overall, this area will smell much better.

As I said, I mainly do this to keep the cat more happy. The dog is small and for some reason ‘knows’ she is not to get into the litter box, so it actually is not a problem. Her problem is that cat potty outside she thinks is ‘hers’, and we have a couple of ‘roaming’ cats that seem to come to our yard mainly to potty there. I have to watch the dog closely and walk the yard picking up stray potty in the yard when the dog is let outside. I pick up my dog’s potty in the back yard as well, I don’t want the yard to become a sewer.

I know, my animals probably get more attention that many of yours. But a litter box can be hidden or raised or made unavailable to your dog some way, but still be accessible to a cat. A friend even cut a small ‘cat door’ thru a wall into the garage and put the litter box there – a door too small for her dogs to go thru, but large enough for the cat. It worked very well.

13. Nancy
    August 30, 2013 | 11:18 pm

I have three inside cats and two small dogs. I put the litter pans high enough that the dogs cannot reach them.

14. Rob
    August 30, 2013 | 9:52 pm

When your dog goes sniffing around the cat box, sneak up from behind and fire 2 blasts with a shotgun. Don’t shoot at the dog or cat. This will divert his attention.

• Dean
      September 3, 2013 | 7:28 pm

I’m no professional, but I’m thinking it might be a good idea to use blanks to avoid damaging the ceiling, or floors or whatever you shoot at.

• Kevin
      October 9, 2013 | 12:50 pm

Come on Cletus, you know you’re going to get kicked out of the trailer park trying some nonsense like that.

• Jodi
      March 11, 2014 | 2:39 pm

Oh yes please do that. And then let me know where you live so I can call the cops on you…and also report you for animal cruelty. Duh.

• Jean
      April 25, 2014 | 6:05 pm

We’re still laughing about the shotgun solution… I’m glad he advised not to shoot the dog or cat… We have declined to utilize this suggestion, however, as it would require the purchase of said shotgun, blanks, & a great deal of cleaning solution to get the dog feces off the walls after we scared the *** out of her!! I think we’ll keep looking for a solution to the cat poop addiction from which our little dog suffers…

15. Melissa
    August 30, 2013 | 5:48 pm

I have 5 large dogs that think dog gates are agility equipment and 2 cats. I make sure that the cats and dogs are wormed regularly and never use clumping cat litters. I tried putting the litter box in the bottom bathroom cupboard with a short chain across the front so the cats could get in but not the dogs. On the third morning I woke up to find the cupboard door ripped out from the hinges.

16. holly
    August 30, 2013 | 3:42 pm

I have put up a dog gate to the bathroom so only the cat can get in.

17. Andrea
    August 30, 2013 | 2:58 pm

My only suggestion is to regularly deworm your cat.

18. Sheila
    December 1, 2012 | 3:21 pm

My cats have figured out how to use dog door.. any suggestions on how to keep them in? If not, they have taken to going outside.. I cannot find where; my dog apparently eats feces before I get in. I worry because they could bring parasites to her. Any suggestions there?