Staying Healthy

When Your Dog Eats Cat Poop

If you’re like us and have both dog and cat pets, then you have probably experienced what happens when your dog eats cat poop. When they feast on the cat’s “goodies”, well, it’s just…I don’t know, disgusting. We would definitely want our dogs to avoid being in this kind of mess, and that is why in this article, we are going to discuss on the reasons why this happens and how it can be prevented.

As weird as it sounds, dogs actually find cat stools very appealing and attractive, and this is why they always look for a cat’s litter box. They think it’s very tasty! It was explained this way by our veterinarian: because cat feces contain high amounts of protein and fat and extra elements, dogs have cravings for them. And now that we know why Fido is a litter box junkie, it’s time we put an end to it. He also took pains to assure us that it is not normally a danger to the dog, if the cat is healthy.

When Your Dog Eats Cat Poop

Although cat stools normally do not come with health risks for dogs, there are still potential problems, such as possible parasites, and some stools may also cause dogs to have diarrhea or constipation. Some dogs may have gastrointestinal problems and strain in defecating due to having eaten them. Other symptoms may occur such as lethargy or nausea, and even appetite loss.  If such symptoms occur in your dog, contact your vet right away.

So how do you keep your dog away from the litter box?

The answer is simple – you just have to know how to outsmart your dog. First, try covering the litter box (when not in use by your cat) with a piece of cloth that is not currently in use, preferably one that can stop the smell of the cat stools. Fortunately in our case, and old towel covering the entrance to the box worked — the dog would go sniff for several days, but never tried to enter. After several days, she finally quit even the sniffing. There are also covered litter boxes available in the market for your convenience. Some of these are even too small for a dog to fit in but large enough for the cat to stay.

Because cats have more agility and flexibility than dogs, try putting it in a space where only your cat can reach it. You can put some baby gates, obstacles/barriers or small fences so that only your cat can pass through, but not your dog.

A chain or doorframe can also be used to narrow down the space where your cat’s litter box is located, so that only your cat can pass through without getting disturbed. Latches can hold doors and make them partially open – you can try this too.

As a last resort, you can also try cleaning up the litter box in regular intervals and more often. In this way, your dog will not have much opportunity to get his “treats” as you have already cleaned them up. Although there can still be some goodies left, there will not be as many as when you don’t regularly maintain it.

If none of these work for you when your dog when your dog eats cat poop, there is still help available, according to an article on the eHow.com website:

Purchase a chemical solution you can feed your cat to discourage coprophagia. The main ingredient is glutamic acid, which causes the poop to become bitter to taste.

Visit your vet for a prescription for glutamic acid or other medications that have been clinically proven to do the trick.

By putting these tips into practice, you are ensuring your dog’s diet doesn’t get messy and you will eliminate the occasions when your dog eats cat poop.

Have you had this problem? Please share any tricks you may have used to stop Fido’s visits!

1. Deana

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:42 pm

We had the exact same issue with our dog. I was going to get a pet gate with a cat door, but being pregnant I was scared that my baby girl would be able to crawl through the opening when she does start to crawl eventually. I stumbled onto a product that someone commented on at a different blog and decided to give it a shot. It is called Door Buddy and we absolutely love it. It is so easy to use and it keeps the dog out no problem. Plus now it keeps out little one out too. And, I am so glad I don’t have to fight the baby gate because it would be such a pain because we keep the litter box in the laundry room. Check it out at https://www.thedoorbuddy.com

2. Anra deeson

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:51 pm

Hi, I am here to share my story about my dog. Her name is Doggy. She grew up with us. I got her from adoption she is a stray puppy with her mother just walking around everyday. They survive from eating garbage and eating poop of cats. One day, I saw them infront of our house to rest. It broke my heart so I let them in to eat and take a shower. later one day her mom got away but Doggy is left. So we decided to adopt her. She is 4 years old now, and then she got back what she used to from eating poop of cats. We have 6 cats., she got sick for one week, vomiting and dont want to eat. After that she is not standing anymore and playing with me.. i realized ..SHE IS ALREADY BLIND 🙁 her eyes is popping out, its called glucoma. They said she got it from bacteria of cat poops. It really breaks my heart i dont know what to do. I dont have money to take her to vet. Please help me.

3. Pingback: Mystii Has An Existential Crisis – Purrfect Thoughts

4. P

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:37 pm

My little dog and I mean little smaller than a cat little, adorable thing she is, from four months of age will just gobble up poo. But her absolute favourite is our male cats poo. She goes and sniffs it out the flower bed then digs it up an eats the lot. She stinks for days as she is tiny and the smell comes out of every pour in her body. The biggest frustration is she is such a fussy eater even turning her nose up at tasty treats.
    The only thing I can do is try to fill her up at breakfast so she is to full to eat another morsel and go and sniff it out myself dig it up and dispose of before I let her loose.
    her name is Winnie, Winnie the poo

5. Kate

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:41 am

We have a ton of stray cats in my town. The apartment complex caught 68 cats near their single dumpster this past summer. Cats love my house because it’s on a corner and near a wooded area. I’ve tried to get TNR, but animal control only works M,W,F and the ones that get pregnant are too smart for a live trap. I caught 3 kittens instead of mom and AC told me he could not take them because they weren’t weaned. Then the den moved, so I couldn’t help them at all. I caught an adult male, but AC told me they called out for the day and dh had to release him because I just couldn’t leave him trapped from Friday to Monday.

My dog usually potties in the front yard with supervision, but no leash. The feral cats hang out in the back yard, so it hasn’t previously been a problem. Recently, our visitors have been dropping bombs all over our yard and my dog is pretty slick about sniffing them out and gulping them down fast. I’ve started taking him out on a retractable leash, but dh thinks walking beside him will remedy our dog’s sneaky feline fetish. It does not and our dog’s loose bowel movements prove that. Darn right I stick check my dog’s poop. I also comb his butt with a flea comb and brush his teeth once a day. Shoot, I’ve caught child and dog vomit in my hand. I’m not squeamish!

I’m worried that my dog will get worms or kennel cough from eating cat poop or an infection from getting scratched by rude guests. I’m ANGRY that our town doesn’t have a TNR, but will gladly euthanize cats if you live trap them on a certain day of the week. They want $40 to neuter and $60 to spay Unless you’re giving the cat to them. They talk a lot of smack about being no kill, but they’re well known for ODing pets with doxy even after they’re adopted. Guilford county in Nc was just investigated for that, but they brushed it off as money shuffling with no evidence and the case was dropped.

6. Smitty

Oct 13, 2015 at 3:48 am

A New Level of Filth
    This is why I waited ten years to say yes to a dog.

I wash my feet before getting in bed to get all the cat litter, feces, trace urine etc. off.

It’s so disgusting!!! The animals have taken over the house and ruin things on a daily basis.

The best kept secret in the pet industry is all the wonderful things you get to touch and smell.

We even have to deal with headless rat bodies our precious cat leaves around and the parasites they give it (and maybe us, cringe). My Mom lets her little Pom lick inside her mouth and shares food with it. My God.

Eating the cats poop is gross, but I see worse on a regular basis.

Like when my cat killed a bird and the dog ate it before I could dispose of it…

My husky just ran away again tonight and came back smelling like a skunk.

Usually she just comes back after rolling in cow manure.

My cat had tape worms crawling out of his but onto my daughters bed as a kitten.

Then got an abscess that bust and leaked brown slime all over the house.

The vet just gave us antibiotics. It was so infected it was farting gasses and puss out of the whole six inches away.

I can only image what our family has been exposed to and what might be crawling around inside us.

Anyone know where I can get pills for humans to kill parasites?

I don’t want those things eating away at my brain or my heart or anyone else in the family.

It is true they can pass on to humans. Look it up smarty pants.

The reality of pet ownership can be so much worse than imagined.

I know not everyone has such nasty pets, but be careful!!!!

• HoneyHawk

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:09 pm

>>Eating the cats poop is gross, but I see worse on a regular basis.
      Like when my cat killed a bird and the dog ate it before I could dispose of it…<>The reality of pet ownership can be so much worse than imagined.<<

Oh, yes. I'm finding that out. I've had cats for decades, and while they can bring challenges to the table, you ain't seen nothin' yet 'til you've had a dog. For real!!!!!!!! Cats are SO much easier. Love our puppy, but NEVER AGAIN with a dog. NEVER. She's our first and will be our last. This is just craziness, all day, every day. She's obsessed with the cat's poo, the cat's food, the cat's toys, and, of course, she wants to eat the cat. She's obsessed with the stray, too, but he'll give her a few swats if need be and put her in her place.

7. rod fuller

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:45 pm

my cats litter box is in my spare bedroom, i just put a small barrier near my doorway and solves the problem, my dog is 80lbs and very old

8. Casey

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:28 pm

We had a similar problem when our cousin’s dog came to visit. We solved it using our own invention that we created to keep one cat out of the other cat’s food. Today we sell it online. It’s called the MeowSpace, and does indeed keep the dogs out of the litter box. http://www.meowspace.biz. Hope this helps some of you!

9. KYLE EVAN RHODES

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:00 pm

MY PUPPY EATS POO POO

10. meghan

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:36 pm

my dog has started eating OUTSIDE cat cat poops. how do i stop him??? they poo all over the backyard

• Mona

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:32 pm

This worked really well when my dog was eating poop in the back yard. Sprinkle cayenne pepper or chili powder on it. They won’t eat it. My problem is her eating the poop out of the litter boxes now. Can’t put the pepper in there